CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How expensive will this fix be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How expensive will this fix be?

Originally posted by: atvaddict01
Just ordered, 150 for barnett kit and 2.50 for gaskett, from hpr.
How did you get a hold of HPR? I sent MisterHP and e-mail, a PM and left him a forum post or two. Maybe MrHP is out of town. I may have no choice but to order from Alba as I'm planning on riding next weekend (7/23). I need the clutch by next Thur/Fri. Send me a PM if you don't want to post his phone number.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go to hpresearch.net!

Old 07-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

Did that, sent an e-mail from that site. Do most people call HPR's preferred Bombardier dealer?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Barnett 9 plate clutch kit is probably the way to go for motors above 65HP. I've talked with Scooby in the past extensively on these and he cant even run with the stock clutch, no matter how stiff the springs are. However, with my DS (now Jeds) I ran the stock fibers and pami springs at about 55hp and never had a hint of a problem running HP4 no moly oil. But, if you are building for the future, the Barnett 9 plate system is probably the way to go. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, definately check the rack actuator (or whatever they call it...lol) the splined shaft that comes out of the case meets with the actuator in the clutch basket (pulls it in and out) mine stripped the teeth and took the long splined shaft with it. I still have the receipt (make SURE you get the newer parts, the 04-05 parts are a harder material than the older models) and it was like 89 for both shafts, and a couple seals.

But, if it is the clutch, check ebay there is a stocker on there for 60 (entire clutch basket setup)

Old 07-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

If the actuator was stripped or a tooth was broke wouldn't the clutch be engaged all the time? It sounds like his is not releasing the actuator allowing the springs to pull the clutch plates together. Maybee a tooth broke and jammed the actuator or the clutch plated were near their lifespan and the last ride was the last straw and the most outer friction plate is not allowing the plates to compress.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

I ordered an actuator rack because a tooth was torn off. I could disengage the clutch to switch gears, but it would slip through each gear as I rode. That's my experience just this past weekend. As soon as I took the clutch cover off, I could see the missing tooth on the actuator rack. The tooth was cracked off, sitting in the release shaft gear. A machinist friend of mine and I took a look at the release shaft gears and they look good. Too bad we don't have x-ray vision.

After removing the clutch springs and pressure plate, we measured the clutch fibers and determined they are close to being out of specification. So, ordered the HPR 9 disc set from HPR's preferred dealer. I was planning on ordering the Barnett set, but they were out of stock. I wanted my machine running by next weekend so I had little choice. I could have ordered from Team Alba, but Randall gave me a little discount on the HPR set because he was out of stock on the Barnett. Wish I lived closer to this dealer or them to me. My dealer doesn't even compare regarding customer service. And I only had one phone call conversation from Randall. In two years I'll be dropping my DS for some engine mods as I take my family to visit family in Nashville. These are the people to work with, period.