CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

snowmobile question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default snowmobile question

Chris, as most know I'm biased towards skidoo, but just remember, the same people that manufactured your Ds, well you get the point. I dont know flatland riding at all, I do know the Firecats are the fastest 7-800cc in a drag hands down, I learned that the hard way. But Skidoo is releasing a 1000mxz 136" track that will rival anything sept for the mach z 1000, but have the best handling on the market. If you want the best of everything, this is the sled for you. Good luck, and remember this, we are biased towards the Ds, but thats nothing like the snowmobile world, you'll just get biased crap on the sled forums, dont waste your time.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned everything except a yamadog . I woould never buy a polarass again , (nothing but problems ) , The arctic cats are very nice and fast , but they were very tippy in 03 on my f5 . I would personally go with a new ski-doo rev , and they have a real nice 2 seat option that just clips on over the trunk of a 1 seater sled that you can have the best of both worlds w/o having to buy a long 2/up machine . I would definatly stay with a 2 stroke . The rotax motors are very strong !

Old 07-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have been doing alot of research the last 6 months or so on sleds. I have narrowed it down to Ski-Doo and Yamaha. If you want the best bang for your buck go with a season or 2 old used sled. My next door neighbor is Steve Martin who won the snocross world championship this year and took the bronze at the X-Games. They ride Doo's of course and are BRP sponserd. For that reason I am confident I can get a Doo and they will have it running ***** to the wall. Besides that they are Bombardier, enough said.

I will more than likely get the 1000cc Yamaha Apex though. Fuel injected, rider forward desighn, only 7lbs heavier than the Doo 1000. Stock the Doo (175hp not 170) will shred the Apex at 150 hp. Where you have been misinformed though is the 2-smokes ARE NOT as easy to get big HP from than the Yammy's. Add a Turbo or supercharger and you can be anywhere between 220hp and 400hp in a matter of a weekend. Thing about it is they can give those numbers reliably mile after mile unlike a ring-ding where the more you mod the mod you fix. I have also been researching a way that I can pull the Apex motor from the sled in the spring and install it in a Tom Pro type mini sandrail to hit the dunes during the summer then back in the sled for winter. I will do a supercharger so that all I have to do is change a pulley to adjust the HP output to where I need it with no lag. This gives me the most bang for the buck!!

I am not against ring-ding sleds at all, good chance I might still end up with one but I wanted you to know the truth about the four-strokes. If you want an awesome used sled, give DSaholic a PM, I think he may have his Polaris 800 for sale and it is a wicked cool ride!

Old 07-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have been riding for about 15 years and started riding back east (upstate NY) and then here in UT. There is a huge difference between what you need out here and what will get the job done back east. I grew up in NY racing oval track on the lakes and riding trials for fun. I would say that in NY depending how much of a speed junkie you are a 700/800 would do just fine. At see level those motors will give you all the HP you would want and need. I ride a slightly modded 2003 RMK 800 151" and it has enough power at 8000 - 10000 ft to go just about every where. I would say at see level it would be quite a bit faster for sure. As for what brand all of the big boys make real nice sleds these days I would say to do a bit of researce and see where you can get the best deal. I will say that 4 strokes are the way of the future and if I do sell my sled and decide to get a new one down the road it will be a 4 stroke.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have had polaris, skidoo, and arctic cats and from my opinion i would go with the cat because from what i have last ridden it handled beter than our polaris and had incredible power it could also stop on a dime the polaris is nice thats what my dad has now but wants to go back to Arctic cat becuase its just a beter ride, I havent riden any of the new revs or anything form skidoo but from what we used to have it was a nice sled im pretty sure we had a Mx Z 583 but that was the last skidoo i have ridden besides my 79 skidoo blizzard but all in all id go with the Arctic Cat you wont be disapointed.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

well i'm a big doo fan, so obviously i'd suggest a Mach Z for someone who likes going fast, from what i've heard those yawnaha's would probably serve you great as well, those 4 strokes appear to be a pretty solid motor, I myself would never buy a yamaha because of the weight and the rider position, its still not rider forward enough for my taste as its more like the RT Chassis(the chassis used with 1000 motors) which is still a few more itches back then the REV chassis. IF I had the money for a new sled I'd probably buy a Skidoo MXZX 800HO or get a 440X chassis and get a 800HO motor for it. Now I can't remember which seat the Mach Z has, but i'm pretty sure you could just buy the 1+1 seat if you wanted to bring some1 else with you, but comes out whenever you don't need it. You could look in the Mach section of dootalk.com to see what problems they may have and see if there are fixes out there, and I'm sure someone here could provide a yamaha forum link so you could do some checking up on those models.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

HEY GUYS,

i need to know what seat forward is and its benefits

i ride mostly lakes and trails and need something dependable... i think i like the 4 stroke thing,

similiar to why i bought the bomb and not a shee or bike

can this yamaha 4 stroke compete with the other big dogs as far as exceleration and top speed?

Old 07-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rider forward is meant to put the most mass of the sled, (the rider) in the middle of the machine, so the suspension front and back can work around the rider, independantly, and not have to move the rider also. Its a huge improvement over other setups. Power can be gained with any machine, but one with a good ride can never be replaced, hence the DS 650!! The four strokes take well to induction. So acceleration and top speed is not an issue there, I mean the new apex has 150 horse in a ride that weighs just alittle more than a Ds, its gonna move. But stock for stock, there isnt nothing out right now that will compete with the machz 1000, well that I know of anyhow, but I dont run lakes or trails so what the he!! do I know anyhow!lol

Old 07-06-2005, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider

Viper is right, the MachZ 1000 is the fastest sled on the snow stock period. The Cat F-7 has the fastest times in the short draggs but once you stretch the legs a bit the Z will pass it and never look back. to clarify, its like a half sled length difference for the first 300ft is all, not like a butt whipping or anything.

Jed, havent forgot about ya, just havent made it to Logan area as of yet. Got your numbers and as soon as I do know when I am headed that way I will call ya.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:29 AM
Pro Rider

Arctic Sac F7, boreing it out. Suppose to get unbelieveable boost of HP for your $$$
MXZ 1000, very fast!

Quick Reply: snowmobile question