CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

snowmobile question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snowmobile question

looking to buy a sled,

have no clue about them,

where should i look and what are the top sleds... 2 stroke or 4

Old 07-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've had Yamaha and Polaris and then almost went with Ski Doo. They really made a big comeback and were giving Polaris some serious competition, but that was a few years ago and we sold our sleds and moved west.
That's sort of a loaded question, you could walk into a bar and ask what's the best beer and get quite a variety of answers, good luck.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer

Hey ChiroChris , are you considering a new or used sled and what dealers are nearby ? Also , how do you intend to ride ? Ditch banging , trail touring or a little bit everything , solo or two up , is price a big concern ? If you enjoy atv's , you will love snowmobiles.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Can u narrow it down a little for us Chris...... I've seen ridin sleds ever since i was old enough to have 1. I've been a polaris man my old life. Good sledz. Don't go Arctic Cat. From what i've seen, it hasn't been pretty for them. Skidoo is alright. I have little knowledge of them, but the Skidoo Rev is a a good all around sled

I prefer to go 2stroke. I don't think 4strokes have proved themselves in the Sledding world.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

ok lets see,

mostly frozen lakes and trails, 2 person would be a good option...probably be used but doesnt have to be...

i want to go real fast. the dealers near me ---about all with in driving distance, but yamaha and bomb in back yard..

i have driven a yamaha 700 triple? thought it was nice ..heated stuff and very fast, but dont know much about them!

Old 07-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Steveo10
Can u narrow it down a little for us Chris...... I've seen ridin sleds ever since i was old enough to have 1. I've been a polaris man my old life. Good sledz. Don't go Arctic Cat. From what i've seen, it hasn't been pretty for them. Skidoo is alright. I have little knowledge of them, but the Skidoo Rev is a a good all around sled

I prefer to go 2stroke. I don't think 4strokes have proved themselves in the Sledding world.
This is a awfully biased opinoin[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Arctic Cats F5 and F7 have been dominating the grass and snow drags for the last two years. Arctic Cat's M series mountain sleds are some of the lightest and most powerful sleds made in there class. Arctic Cat's M7's beat Polaris's RMK in EVERY shootout in EVERY magazine for 05. Plus the Polaris weighs in at over 35lbs more. You don't think 4 strokes have proven themselves in snowmobiles ???? A FOUR STROKE Yamaha took top honors at the Fairview Shootout hillclimb this year. You say that Skidoo is just alright????? Who dominated snow cross the last few yaers? Not Polaris. Get your facts right !!!!!!!! I just hate biased opinions.... This is like saying that because I ride a DS, the YFZ is junk. NOT!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Go to snowest.com and get on board in the forum. You will get your questions best answered there. If you are looking at new snowmobiles you can't go wrong with ANY brand. If you need any help you can Pm me for a Unbiased Answer .

Old 07-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey Chris I have a Skidoo and we have had them our family for over 30 yrs , we use to race them. I have nothing bad to say about them. I wouldnt buy anyhting but a Skidoo or maby a Artic Cat , they arnt bad either.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

Well right now Ski-Doo has the big dog with the 2005, 2006 Mach Z, 1000 CC twin cylinder two stroke, Semi -Direct Fuel Injection. It has 170 horsepower ( great on lakes 120 plus M.P.H. ) ,the RT chassis moves the rider forward ( handles great ) , available with electronic reverse ( push a button ,computer slows engine,then runs it backwards ) and electric start. Awesome sled , but it comes at a premium price , approx. $10,000 new. Bang for the buck , i would say goes to the Arctic Cat, Firecat,700 CC twin two stroke 140 horsepower, lightweight,rider forward chassis , come fuel-injected or carburated, they are fast and agile, cost approx. $8000 new. I mention these two models because they are popular and i remember the price but there is alot of other good makes and models to choose from. I read a few magazines ( Snowtech,American Snowmobiler,Snow Goer ) before i bought.You could read the forums on snowmobilenews.com , dootalk.com , arctichat.com.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

2 stroker all the way. thumpers are not quite up to par with the 2 strokes. not in power but weight and size. it is easier to upgrade the 2 strokes as well. only bad thing about them is gas!!! last year on 600 triples we did about 12 mpg. needles to say it gets expensive but its all worth it. acceleration on any sled is INSANE!

Quick Reply: snowmobile question