CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Problems with CDI box. Please report this now !

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with CDI box. Please report this now !

If its missing when starting and clanking trust me you are in for over $500.00 dollars of repair if you dont get that CDI box off right away. Thanks for your reply. D

Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, get it off, send it back.
Mabey they will send us all the Big Gun unit they are producing!
That would be a step in the right direction.
Seems the engineer is always out of town,
probably spending our hard earned cash in Cabo or Hawaii[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

here is something i know: these CDI boxes were made in China since 2003; year 2003~2004 is the testing year;however, without a successful test result on certain styles, PROCOM rush them out to the market. Anyone who bought these boxes before, have you noticed that there was no instruction paper, no warranty paper, no nothing~~! just a bare box. Some boxes quickly caused problems, especially the ones for YAMAHA Raptor. These boxes were not made by professional automotive-parts manufacture. PROCOM not only sell by themselves on eBay, but also supply to BIG GUN and WHITE BROTHERS. The only difference you'll see is the sticker. If you paid higher prices to get a BIG GUN CDI, sorry, the difference goes towards the 'BIG GUN' sticker. Here is the proof: Compare the CDI from BIG GUN and the one from PROCOM, if they both have part# PE-C-XXXXXX or PE-R-XXXXX, then it's all from PROCOM, because PE stands for PROCOM Engineering. You can also verify this by checking the CDI pictures posted on BIG GUN's website.
These boxes helps your ATV engine runs crazy, and definately shorter the lifetime of your engine. It's a risk you'll take.
Also, such problems happened so many times. People who bid on eBay gave feedback tooooo soon to tell the truth. You always give a big + feedback before you finally had time and tested PROCOM CDI, dont' you? You've missed the chance of telling the truth to others on eBay. Look at all the feedbacks, it's all saying, 'fast delivery, quick transiction...etc.' Does anyone tell the quality of the parts? Well, you decide.....
CDI picture from BIG GUN

Old 08-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Nobody is denying that the Big Gun CDI is made by Procomm. However that doesn’t necessarily mean they are defective or clones of those sold by Procomm with a different sticker. When I spoke to the rep at Big Gun they didn’t deny who manufactured their CDI’s but they did argue that their (Big Gun) CDI’s are built to their specifications and not those of Procomm. There are literally thousands of electronics manufactures who make parts for sub suppliers who then turn around and sell under their name. Most are exact clones of the original manufacture but there are those who have specific requirements as in this case with Big Gun. An example is there are only 4 major manufactures of Televisions but there are literally hundreds of brands selling them. Same thing applies to nearly any home electronics including but not limited to Microwave ovens, Refrigerator and the simple light bulb.

My point is just because a manufacture sells a product under their own name does not necessarily mean a similar product built to more stringent specifications for a sub supplier are one of the same.

Besides you are new here and I suggest you tether your opinions until you have all the facts.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: away
here is something i know: these CDI boxes were made in China since 2003; year 2003~2004 is the testing year;however, without a successful test result on certain styles, PROCOM rush them out to the market. Anyone who bought these boxes before, have you noticed that there was no instruction paper, no warranty paper, no nothing~~! just a bare box. Some boxes quickly caused problems, especially the ones for YAMAHA Raptor. These boxes were not made by professional automotive-parts manufacture. PROCOM not only sell by themselves on eBay, but also supply to BIG GUN and WHITE BROTHERS. The only difference you'll see is the sticker. If you paid higher prices to get a BIG GUN CDI, sorry, the difference goes towards the 'BIG GUN' sticker. Here is the proof: Compare the CDI from BIG GUN and the one from PROCOM, if they both have part# PE-C-XXXXXX or PE-R-XXXXX, then it's all from PROCOM, because PE stands for PROCOM Engineering. You can also verify this by checking the CDI pictures posted on BIG GUN's website.
These boxes helps your ATV engine runs crazy, and definately shorter the lifetime of your engine. It's a risk you'll take.
Also, such problems happened so many times. People who bid on eBay gave feedback tooooo soon to tell the truth. You always give a big + feedback before you finally had time and tested PROCOM CDI, dont' you? You've missed the chance of telling the truth to others on eBay. Look at all the feedbacks, it's all saying, 'fast delivery, quick transiction...etc.' Does anyone tell the quality of the parts? Well, you decide.....
CDI picture from BIG GUN
Away,

I think scoudrel said it fully. Nobody is denying that Big Gun and White Brothers have thier CDI made by Procom. That's been a fact out on this message board for nearly a year. The problems associated with the Procom box are TIMING issues. Specifically, too much advanced ignition timing at idle which causes pre-ignition or Dead Ping. The timing curves are different for Big Gun and I suspect are also different for White Brothers. I have had no reports of timing issues with the Big Gun - ZERO. I know one person that says he has returned his DS650 box, simply because he wanted it to rev higher.

While I dont think the quality of the box is as high as others, such as RWR or Vortex, it still meets the criteria of many people that buy them.

So, I wouldnt bunch all the Procom boxes together for timing issues - simply because, at least in Big Gun's case, the timing curve is different. However, for boxes that quit altogether - thats another issue, and one that I have seen dramatic improvements on by reading posts on this forum over the last year.

Thats my take on it -