CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What is your 1st impression of the new Outlander 800?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your 1st impression of the new Outlander 800?

To me the KQ has that high seating position that translates into the tippy feeling that I have never been happy with. The BRP has a Low seating position and a lower center of gavity making it a very stable IRS euiped quad, So far every one I have talked that has road the BRP has said its handleing is on par with the Prairie wich has set the bench mark in that catagory for several years. The V-Twin eliminates the vibration of the large single. The TTI IRS system is designed in such a way that you can power slide it and do doughnuts and other things that are normaly only achieved by sport quads or SRA utes like the Prairie. There is a theft deterent system and a auto shut off system if the key is left on to prevent the battery from running down. This quad is reported by every one from consumers to dealers that has road it to be the best there is in every catagory except price and that to me kinda comes down to the old saying ou get what you pay for. If you want the best it generally does not come cheaper than the rest. These are just my opinions of the quads . I am sure others will see it different.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Western
So other than go faster, what will the Outlander 800 do that a King Quad or Grizzly can't do?

ATVs are kind of like snowmobiles (in one aspect). Sleds started out with 340s to 580s to 600s to 700s to 800s and now Bombardier/Skidoo has the RT 1000. The biggest, baddest, fastest powder sled on the market. Great deal right? Over 50% of the people I know who bought the RT 1000 are trying to sell them so they can buy back the Rev 800.

Not saying that the Outlander 800 is going to be the Ski Doo RT 1000 of ATVs, but it might.
You hit the nail on the head my friend. Go over on Dootalk and do a search on the 05' Mach Z and you'll see all the event's unfolding. The fastest production sled on snow, top speeds of 125mph, SC4 best suspension in the business, ride and handling like no other. Mid Nov thing's started to go down hill, the F7 was kickin' the s#$t out of it, the ride was poor, then the troubles began a list a mile long. BRP them self's would log onto the site to answer question, they stopped doing that because of angry mach owners wanting answer. I see the same thing happening here with 800 outlander. Mark it down you guy's purchasing this thing will be kicking yourself a$$ this time next year. remember where you heard it.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well what happened, did the F7 (not sure what that is, I assume its another brand and model of sled) that you mention come out and trump the Mach Z, and how did it go from great ride and handeling to poor, Was it problems with defects or was the competition that followed just better. I am not sure what you are trying to say. If BRP is known for making poor designed product then that is somthing I want to look into. So far we have had zero problems with the kids ralley. We have had issues with some of the wave runners from a few years back. I do not know a whole lot abot the sleds just have always herd good things about the BRP quads in reguards to quality. If it just a mater of the competiton heating up and then I will be the first to addmit that I fully expect Kawi and others to up the anty next year with even more power and even better overall performance. It's kinda the name of the game these days

Old 07-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

Yes the mach z 1000 goes 125 mph. I am sorry but the f7's can not beat a mach. Yes they can beat the off the line, i think the f7 can beat any sled off the line but after that its over. Come on the f7 is like 700cc compared to a 1000cc motor. Like i said before this was the first year of the 1000, most first year machines have their problems, just like your precious king quad. I dont think people are trying to say its going to be problem free. We are just talking about it performance, and it looks like it has everyone else beat. Some people just cant take the fact that its going to be better than zuzuki or polaris who have been in the atv buisness twice as long as bomb.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Shreder
Originally posted by: Western
So other than go faster, what will the Outlander 800 do that a King Quad or Grizzly can't do?

ATVs are kind of like snowmobiles (in one aspect). Sleds started out with 340s to 580s to 600s to 700s to 800s and now Bombardier/Skidoo has the RT 1000. The biggest, baddest, fastest powder sled on the market. Great deal right? Over 50% of the people I know who bought the RT 1000 are trying to sell them so they can buy back the Rev 800.

Not saying that the Outlander 800 is going to be the Ski Doo RT 1000 of ATVs, but it might.
You hit the nail on the head my friend. Go over on Dootalk and do a search on the 05' Mach Z and you'll see all the event's unfolding. The fastest production sled on snow, top speeds of 125mph, SC4 best suspension in the business, ride and handling like no other. Mid Nov thing's started to go down hill, the F7 was kickin' the s#$t out of it, the ride was poor, then the troubles began a list a mile long. BRP them self's would log onto the site to answer question, they stopped doing that because of angry mach owners wanting answer. I see the same thing happening here with 800 outlander. Mark it down you guy's purchasing this thing will be kicking yourself a$$ this time next year. remember where you heard it.
well first, the way BRP run their sled division and the atv division is two COMPLETELY different things, you ever notice how ds's are very fast and can take a severe beating, but they aren't the lightest in their class, now look at the REV's, light, fast but can't take the hits, can u say bent flying nun? and as for your 125mph mach, if your really that mad about gettin beat then drop a tooth or two on top throw a clutch kit in it and see how those lil firekitties do, just cuz you can't set up your sled right doesn't mean everythings BRP's fault, am i saying new machs are perfect? hell no! but they are working on it, and if your a member of dootalk you can probably find ways to get things fixed

Old 07-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've never laid eyes on the Outlander 800 much less ridden one. But, so far, it sounds like it can go faster than a King Quad and might have a lower seating position. The bomb's seat is .6" higher than the Suzuki and the seat is higher in relation to the rest of the atv than the King Quad. The King Quad is 1.6" wider than the Bomb and has 1.8" less ground clearance than the bomb. Both have low mounted gas tanks. The numbers would show that there isn't much difference, and the KQ would be ahead looking at the dimensions. The King Quad is the most stable large IRS ATV I have ever ridden (remember I have never ridden the 800). Most people generally agree the KQ has a great ride. How many people tested the Outlander 800 with radial tires? I've ridden the Outlander 400 with bias and radial tires and there is a huge difference (I own a Outtie 400 and really like it).

I think most people will have to ride the 800 before they are believers. It is difficult to have faith in a low number of people who have ridden this ATV when they make it sound like it was a life changing experience. Heck reading some of the comments it sounds like Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and the rest are destined to go out of business the day the 800 hits the show room. I'm sure the Outlander 800 is a great machine, but only time will tell if it is everything the test riders claim it to be. I hope everyone that buys one is happy. If nothing else they will have the fastest and most expensive Utility ATV on the market.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Range Rover

one thing that has not been talked about yet is the resail value of the bomb. I would only hope after slapping down that much money for a atv, that it has some kind of resail. If i'm not mistaking. bombs for the most part cost more than the other atv,s in there class and have less resail value. with that said, stick with jap.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

I have not owned a quad yet that I would say had great resale, plus it does have a little bit to do with how well it is cared for as well. But like I said before the best doesn't normaly come cheap.

As far as the factory spec comparisons go, you need to take some measurments on your own. I have found some mfg seem to have there own rules for how to measure things. Take for example how in 2004 when the Twin peaks was Susuki's flagship the seat hight was 33.7 even though it was a cloan of the Prairie that had a seat hight 34.25 as soon as the Kq entered the lineup the seat hight of the twin peaks went back up to the kawi spec of 34.25. Now when I measure my twin peaks and prarie they measure a hare over 34 inches. Now look at the Polaris specs I would think everyone would agree the actual seat hight of the Sportsman 800 is noticably higher than the prarie but Polaris says there seat hight is 34"s that a clamed 1/4" shorter than a prairie, Another quad known for its low and stable suspension and seating position the Rincon, has a factory spec seat hight @35.4"s. I also own a SP800 and measuresd it at over 37"s at the lowest point. I don't have dad's KQ in my garage to measure but I have seen it setting side by side with my dad P650 and the only way that it would ever measure lower than the P650 is if all the tires on the KQ were flat. Another thing I noticed in the KQ vs BRP800 specs is the overall hight the KQ is 3"s taller than the BRP. If you look at pics of the quads from a profile you can see the seat position in relation to the handle bars (highest point on the quads) the seat would a pear lower in relation to the bars on the BRP by a cosiderable amount also pointing to a flaw in the way Susuki gets its measurements compared to others. I would be willing to bet that the BRP specs are closer to reality than the Suki specs. None of this makes the KQ a bad quad by any means. I have road a KQ several times and have owned praries /twin peaks for several years now and can see where DW's last comparison of the two was very real to me and seemed to reflect allot of what I saw in the two quads. DW came to the same conclusion that I did, in that the P700 was still the better allaround quad. So when DW puts out a ride review on the BRP 800 like the one in the august issue I tend to take notice and put some faith in what they have to say. The KQ took first in a comparison in the ATV action with the P700 a close second and a tag line that if you like a more sporty ute the P700 was still the way to go. So when reviews compare the handeling and stability of the BRP 800 to that of the Prairie and Rincons, then that also strikes me as very interesting and toss in a v-twin and EFI it just makes since to me that this is going to be the quad to beat in the coming months.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:05 AM
Range Rover

Don't tell me about resale value I’ve got two Bomb's for sale (2000 Traxter & 2003 Outlander) and there is a bidding war on them in CT. People want these things because they were both past ATV of the year winners and for the three-year warranty that is still in effect on the Outty. I got to make room for the new yellow 800 XT coming in any day now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Two of my close personal friends own dealerships, they sell all brands between them and both have said the Bomb 800 will be the ATV to buy in 2005-6. I was at the Southwick national mx when they were at the dealer demo riding all the machines; they were so excited they had to call me after sampling them. To sum up their excitement they basically said it was the best handling, smoothest riding and running, most powerful ATV they have ever ridden period.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: cc1999
Well what happened, did the F7 (not sure what that is, I assume its another brand and model of sled) that you mention come out and trump the Mach Z, and how did it go from great ride and handeling to poor, Was it problems with defects or was the competition that followed just better. I am not sure what you are trying to say. If BRP is known for making poor designed product then that is somthing I want to look into. So far we have had zero problems with the kids ralley. We have had issues with some of the wave runners from a few years back. I do not know a whole lot abot the sleds just have always herd good things about the BRP quads in reguards to quality. If it just a mater of the competiton heating up and then I will be the first to addmit that I fully expect Kawi and others to up the anty next year with even more power and even better overall performance. It's kinda the name of the game these days
Nothing happened, that's what i'm saying, all this hype about the 800 Outlander being the best in every category before it actually hit's the ground. Same as the 05' Mach Z last summer, BRP gave the dealer's a few proto's in the spring for guy's to try, paid the mags big bucks, and you have the best sled on the snow.....before it actually hit's the snow!! I'm not trying to say that BRP makes a bad product, because if they did, they wouldn't be where their at today. They do however have a problem with first year products and customer relations. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: What is your 1st impression of the new Outlander 800?