CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Motor won't turn over--where do I start

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor won't turn over--where do I start

sounds like a battery to me...the test they run at most generic parts stores won't do the trick...

the whole filled crancase with gas thing is a possobility...but its a long shot...just pull your oil fill plug and take a sniff...does it smell like gas in the motor?

before you do any major work I'd test a good battery in the others place

BRAAAAP

Old 07-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

Sorry I left out that it is on my 2001 DS 650 that I am having problems with. I do not think that it is the battery even though I may be wrong. I took a known good battery and directly wired it to the starter while it still was in the motor then ground it. The starter tried to turn the motor over but could not. I will pull the plug(s) this weekend and check for the hydo lock and get back to the forum with what I find out. If is not hydo lock I feel that it might be something serious--hope not [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

You checked the kill switch,right ?

Old 07-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Range Rover

No I have not tested the kill switch yet. If it was the kill switch would not the motor still turn over when I direct wired the starter? Is my thinking wrong that the kill switch just grounds out the coil from firing to the plugs?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

your assumption on the kill switch grounding the coil is correct.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Jump start from your car or truck (12V) I don't trust load testing the battery at your local auto parts place, maybe the guy who did it didn't just started there yesterday, if you suspect a leaking carb and hydro locking, pull a spark plug and turn the motor over by hand, if the cylinder is dry that'll rule that out. Bad battery = clicky clicky solenoid or seized engine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] which I highly doubt cuz it's a bomb.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think all other attempts are for not if the engine wont physically turn over. Start with the whole making it turn over manually to make sure there isn't some stopping that ever so basic concept of engine function.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree with pulling the spark plug and manually trying to spin the motor, with the crank nut, to be sure, that something physical isnt stopping the spinning.
If you jump from another battery, make sure the donor vehicle is not running. If the alternator on the other vehicle is spinning, you could end up with more than 15 volts..and your quad wont like that.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

Just got back from the shop and this is what I found. I tried a new battery same symtoms. Tried a new starter solenoid same problem. Pulled plugs put DS in fifth and turned the wheels ( good news, was not locked up). So now what? I took the battery and ran it directly to the starter and grounded it. It turned over. Now we are getting somewhere. I tested every cable a month to Sunday and still nothing. So I cleanded the ground wires, nothing. Was getting flustered again. I thought why not run the ground directly from the battery to the starter and hit the start swithch. BINGO! So now I have to figure out what is not grounding the system. The ground to the frame is good, so could it be the ground to the motor or could it be something else? I feel much better no matter what the problem will end up being because it is not mechanical but should be some simple electrical glitch. Thanks for all the help so far as it helps when you have people interested in helping you out. Sometimes you just run out of ideas and need a diffrent perspective.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Range Rover

Just to let everyone know that part of the problem was the ground. The battery is ground to the subframe but the subframe was not making good contact with the frame. I ran a ground strap from the subframe to the frame and now the starter turns over with no problem. Yet the plot thickens. Now I have no fire from the spark plugs. The key is on, the kill switch is set to run, but no fire from the coil. Could I have burned something up trying to start it with a bad ground connection? Could the CDI have gone bad? Are there any fuses I can check? This would also explain why it would not start when I tried pull starting it.

Quick Reply: Motor won't turn over--where do I start