CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Motor won't turn over--where do I start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor won't turn over--where do I start

I need help. I thought I had a bad solenoid as it just clicked. Battery tested out fine under load. So I pulled the starter and it runs fine, so I belive that the motor may be locked up overloading the starter and causing the starter solenoid to click when trying to start. I had also tried to pull start the DS but the tires did not want to turn and instead just slipped in the dirt. I tried in 1st and 2nd gear. Where do I start to narrow down where the problem may be? Pull the head? Or are there other options in testing for the problem? I just don't want to go at this blindly and maybe cause more damage or run up the cost for some simple fix. So if you can please offer me your advice it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would pull the stator cover off and put a socket on the nut thats connected to the crankshaft and try turning it. If it dont want to turn then you have got some issues....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

I'm lost

does the starter work...out of the quad
will the motor spin over by hand?

as for bump starting use 4th gear its easier

Old 07-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First try a different battery thats charged. If the battery is bad you can pull start all you want, it isnt going to start. If that dont do it, then check your fluids. Make sure there isnt anything amiss. If everything still looks good pull your plug and make sure you havent hydro locked the cylinder. If your carb overflowed it can fill the cylinder and it wont start. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto to what Viper said. Mine would click one time when trying to start it. After going through electrical check, it was found to be hydro locked. You'd have to drain it out to start it.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

RacinJason, yes I pulled the starter from the motor to check it. I grounded the starter to the motor after I pulled it and hit the start botton and it spun. The battery is new and I had it checked at Auto Zone on a load tester and it checked out fine. As far as hydro lock I have never heard of this but it is worth checking it out as I did not have the gas turned off and it set for two or three weeks that way. Question, are you saying it could fill the cylinder with gas and lock it up? I hope this is the problem. Thanks for the suggestions they will help me get started in finding the problem. Any more thoughts are welcomed.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

When pull starting , you need to gradually release the clutch in a higher gear , try third or fourth after getting her up to 25 or so.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the cylinder will fill with fuel, and try as it may, the starter just cant compress a motor full of gas. Probably more common than most people know, just nobody want to admit it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

may we ask what it is that does not start 400EXerciser? a two or 4 stroke motor? you don't have your signature filled out so we don't know what you have!

Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: choosetolose04
I would pull the stator cover off and put a socket on the nut thats connected to the crankshaft and try turning it. If it dont want to turn then you have got some issues....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
i agree ..... make sure to remove the plug just in case there is fuel in the chamber to avoid a hydrolock condition.

Quick Reply: Motor won't turn over--where do I start