CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Narrowing the DS

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005 | 07:17 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Narrowing the DS

I was thinking of taking my hubs to my friend who is a machinist. I thought I might have him shave the insides 1/2". That would narrow it by 1"
Any thoughts to this? The obvious would be a weaker hub. But what is strong enough? Maybe someone has done this already?
The trees are scary and always wanting to grab me!

Old 07-23-2005 | 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Narrowing the DS

Check out Annillators pic page. Look at pic #24

Old 07-23-2005 | 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Narrowing the DS

I had mine done by Mr HP. He also adds extra threaded holes for either the Yamaha or Honda bolt pattern (your choice, there's pics on his web site). It narrowed mine up by about an inch, and it made a huge difference. You know what I'm talking about when I say that the front wheel just bumped the tree and then you wait for the rear wheel to hit and almost throw you off!

I also was concerned about the strengh of the machined hubs, so I bought a used set off of eBay and had them done. Always took my stock ones with me riding, just in case, but have had no problems, and I weigh 270 lbs.

Bottom line, if your buddy does a good job and doesn't get too carried away, you'll be fine.

Old 07-23-2005 | 04:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Narrowing the DS

Mario's rear end is narrow because he runs his rear tires backwards. I started doing this also.

The only negative is that the valve stems are on the inside.

Old 07-23-2005 | 05:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default Narrowing the DS

I run the whole hub backwards. And they have been shaved down and lightened with a honda bolt patter. The skinnier the rear end, the straighter it gets out of the hole. The wider the rear end the more it tends to hook to one side or the other. Of course equall psi in both tires help.lol

Old 07-23-2005 | 06:15 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Narrowing the DS

I see. Sounds like I'm in business.
ANNIHILATER, What is that blue thing poking out the side of your machine?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2005 | 07:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Default Narrowing the DS

Just for looks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
The motor keeps That bottle of milk warm for me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2005 | 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Narrowing the DS

Im running a very narrow rearend and it handles quite well....better than I expected actually. After the next couple of rides, Im sure the word will spread and there will be quite a few more running this setup aswell...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2005 | 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Narrowing the DS

I have an extra set already machined if you want them i will sell them, I dont need them anymore i sold mine. PM Me

Old 07-25-2005 | 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Narrowing the DS

It's funny you mentioned the tree surfing ! I think I bent the footpeg mount , along with the mangled nerf bar . third gear half throttle , clipped one tree and bars out of hands into a second tree . trees 2 ds 0 ! Those nerfs were the best 100 I've spent ! saved my a$$ .

Quick Reply: Narrowing the DS