CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

BIG Disappointment - Drove the Outlander 800

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG Disappointment - Drove the Outlander 800

Just kidding about the title, looking for some publicity! The dealer had a yellow XT hidden in with the 400s, didn't even notice it. I HAD to take it for a spin. They got some trails and wide open areas by the shop, so took it for a 1/2 hour ride. Granted, I didn't ride it long, but I've been riding quads since I was 12, probably owned 12 or 13 quads, 3/4 of them sport/ultilities. I have a pretty good understanding of these things by now.

So when that engine fired up, I got a shiver down my spine... sounded good but I wasn't even sure if it was a 2-stroke or 4-stroke judging by the sound (very unusual exhaust note). Gotta say, this thing looks much better in person than in photos. Really tough front end, and the angular lines actually look great. The full headights really make a difference over those old tiny ones. In person, one of the best looking quads right now. Hopped on, my foot hit the back rack when rolling it over. It happened every time I got on. This is a big quad, the racks sit up high.

All it took was just one stab of the throttle... these was absolutely no lag and the front end popped right up. In high range with no body english the lights were shining to the sky. I've never had this on any quad (except my modded Rappy!). Low range was even better. Best part was that the balance point was easy as he!!, took no time get a good feel for it. This quad is definately tuned different than the first run of quads, its a powerhouse right off the hop.

The quad had 8km on it, so maybe it couldn't hit the top speed, but it did get up to around 70mph fairly quick. Didn't feel like I was going that fast. Extremely stable and sporty. And smooth... man I couldn't believe it! Maybe it was partly the super-plush seat, but it felt like a Lincoln (I drive Fords). What a ride! Did some fire-roadin', slid very well, but not as good as a Prairie. WAY better than any other IRS quad, including the top hadlers like the Rincon and the Sportsman 800. That's about the only area where it is beat period, is in sliding (and beat by an IRS). It was incredible. No other machine will touch it for a few years guaranteed, even Yamaha's forthcoming 800 can't be much better than this. I don't care how much Dirt Wheels gets to print that the Suzook or the Kawi is better, they will not be able to deny the fact that this quad does it all better! This quad is so much above everything else in balance, power, and handling that it will remain at the top for quite some time. I'm shelling out the $12500 CDN for it, put it to work. Heck, the 3 year warranty alone is justifiable. Sorry to those who cannot or do not want to shell out the extra geenbacks for it, this is where the King Quad market will be. This quad honestly goes so much beyond whats out there now, that I have no problems with the price tag (rmember it is a 100cc bigger than the King, whats the price difference between a 400 and a 500?...can't use the underpriced BF 650 as an example either!). These quads will sell big time, no doubt about it. And I have no bias towards BRP, never owned one, I'm not brand-specific at all - its just the best I've ever ridden. I might even be able to get by without a sport quad now!!!

Anyway, let the posts flow on anyone else's impressions of this quad (We've already covered price to death on some of these posts, its a non-issue at this point).

Old 07-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

That was a pretty good review. Loved the subject!
I can't believe your dealer lets you "test ride" it. That is unheard(sp?) of here.
Since this is a new machine, I wonder what little quirks it might have. Recall and the such.
We will soon see!
May the Shwetz be with you!

Old 07-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

I drove one Tuesday at the dealership also. I posted about it but never got any advice here. The dealer has offered to sell my Rincon for me for aroun 6ish. Then put me on an 800 Outlander standard version for 8800 next month when they arrive. Thats otd price since he is out of state from me I pay no sales tax. It will be about a 2800 difference.

I'm still thinking about it.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: mudnuri
That was a pretty good review. Loved the subject!
I can't believe your dealer lets you "test ride" it. That is unheard(sp?) of here.
Since this is a new machine, I wonder what little quirks it might have. Recall and the such.
We will soon see!
May the Shwetz be with you!
Classic! Thanks... I was just totally blown away by it, far exceeded what I thought possible in a Sport utility. And 300lbs of rack capacity to boot!! A dream come true.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

Ace,
Where did you see and test this quad at, what city, dealer so on?

Old 07-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi,
I called a dealer in Colorado Springs yesterday and they have 10 ordered and 6 pre-sold! They want 2 grand to hold one. I was getting ready to buy a Max XT 400 when I heard the 800 was on the way. But MAN! The price is stiff. I can get a new 400 MAX XT for $6300.00 right now and they quoted me $10,200 out the door on the 800 !! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Do I need that much power? I'm afraid in a couple years a 400 will just be worthless as they will be coming out with 1200's

"First time 4-wheeler"
Paul

Old 07-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

Stojins Powersports in Sexsmith Alberta. They also have 10 coming in for September, 6 held. $1000 down to hold them. $12500 CDN. I'd check your local dealer!

Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, thta's about right. 12,500.00 CND makes 10,195.34 USD. They quotes me $10,200 so.................

I may go for the 400!

Old 07-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

Hard to compare Canadian prices and American prices these days, no matter what our dollar is doing we always get f%#$ed over on trucks, quads, etc. Once the price is up it stays up. And these things are made on home turf?!?!? Theives! Still gotta get one though!

Old 07-30-2005, 02:31 AM
Range Rover

actually about price the americans are get pooched out of aout 5-6 hundred dollars.

Quick Reply: BIG Disappointment - Drove the Outlander 800