CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Trip soon to coos bay, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip soon to coos bay, need advice

We are headed to Coos Bay to ride Mid-Aug. Friends are staying at KOA and Spinreel.

I called reserveusa and they only have sand camping at Horsfall and Spinreel.

I have maps of both places but am not sure which is better for us with kids.

We have a 26' TH and 4x4. Need a place where kids can play on sand/swim.

Noticed river goes thru sand camp area at spinreel and horsfall has fresh water lakes.

Both seem a way from the ocean though.

Any advice?

Old 08-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

I don't really know if I have ever seen anybody try to swim in the creek by spinreel. Any body else??? Are you wanting to camp out on the sand or in the campgrounds??? Yes you will have a short ride to the ocean but that what makes the area fun. The ride to the beach!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] There still should be some swimming area's at horsefall that still have water in them....

Old 08-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

No more reservation avail for campgrounds so I guess we'll sand camp.

Just wondering whos been where and what its like, where the best sand spots are.

I think we are leaning towards Horsfall cause it looks closer to the ocean.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think that water moves fast enough. Personally, most of the coastal steams are runoff - I doubt they are suited for swimming. But I dont know for sure at Spinreel. JMHO

Old 08-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Just rode spinreel last sunday. Its a great ride alot less people and alot more area. From the parking lot its 3 miles to the beach run. The beach run is probably 4 or 5 miles long. Never saw any noise cops or any for that matter. Stay away from the hill shots on the east side of the dunes. Theres water down there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Horsefall is cool but there can be alot more people. Theres quite a bit of drag racing there at Boxcar. The shut down time is midnight at both places. Have fun!

Old 08-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen people swimming in the ponds at Horsefall. Spinreel would probably be safer for your yougans.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Coos Bay KOA has a playground and full hookups. Not sure how old the kids are but, we had a group of 7-9yr olds and they hung out at the little playground and store and had a good time. Ride to the beach has a lot of whoops though.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

I made reservations to sand camp at spinreel at one of the first sites in from the campground

for the first half of the week. The second half we are at the KOA so the kids should enjoy the playground.

I remember those whoops from last time I was there, brutal, broke my pipe bracket.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Range Rover

Were there any sand camp spots open at Hauser. Its in the middle between horsfall & spinreel. Basically where you would ride out from the KOA (Hauser Depot Rd.) We just got back two weeks ago and we really loved the spot we got. #93 I believe. I don't remember seeing any sand campers at spinreel and only a few at horsfall. Be warned though the sand is soft there, morso than any place I have ever been. Had to air down the truck & trailer to 10psi, which I usually don't have to air down that far and I usually get by with just airing down the truck. Have fun, wish I was still there. This 100+ deg in Sac area really bites.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

that water at spinreel(ten mile creek) is not suitable for swimming. there is rotting vegitaion in the water that makes it look black. and the lake near spinreel is on the other side of HWY 101. not very accessible unless you drive over there. you can ride from spinreel to coosbay and back without the need to fuel up. there is a sand road that cuts through the middle of it all. and you can also cover alot of ground on the beech.