CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bombardier's fatal flaw???----interesting UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombardier's fatal flaw???----interesting UPDATE

Please be sure to let us know what you find asap, and if the results are similar, we have to get on bombardier. By the way, whats the cost of rings, cylinder, head work, valves, bottom end damage, and labour resulting from this happening?

My buddies quad has been down for over a year, and he has been paying a loan on it, interest, and so far quite a few hundred dollars put into getting it running again, all in the meantime not having a quad to ride. Thats an expensive mess up, I'd hate to see how many people really have been affected by this in the end.

Keep em comin

Old 09-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

I am also wanting to hear what you guys find when you check out ur piston....if many more start popping up with the same results... top ring broke and bashed up head and jug there is going to be allot of people angry at bombardier......hopefully if this gets to be a even more common thing with the 7995 model number bomb will step in and replace all parts neccesary to fix the problem.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My 2003 DS650 Baja is M/N 7589 made in 10/02 and no problems at all. It has about 107 hours (documented) on it right now. How many hours did you have on your machines when you saw the issue? (I don't recall reading any hour logs earlier.)

Old 09-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

I was just skimming the new topics in the forum and just thought of somthing.... My ds has been shooting a lot of oil out of the crankcase breather lately. As far as I know the only reason excessive oil should come out is if you have blow-by. I have a 2003 baja with probably 200+ hours on it, and it didnt start doing this until recently. The only thing I am confused about is that it rides just like normal, with no loss of power. I am wondering if I have the same problem, and maybe its not sealing fully, and thats why I have excessive crank pressure?

Hmmm this is interesting. So far this is the only thing I thought of that might make sense with my problem. So some of you didnt really notice a change until you pulled the head off?

Old 09-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

i didnt notice any loss in power with my top ring broke...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

damn... i have a feeling that might be my problem then.

To just pull the head and look you have to replace the gasket right?

Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

im not to sure on that since i never took it apart....but before you do that maybe you should do a compression test to get an idea.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Dunerider650 what was your compression at the plug?
I got a reading of 155.I know 120 and up is good,but what is great for
a stock bike.

My model# is7/2003 7995
I hope it is just a coincidence.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Atvaddict my bike was never compression tested untill it was completely gone and started pooring out smoke...at that time the dealer said it was around 75psi. Before it all went and jammed and bashed everything up it must of been around 120(even with the broke top ring) because it almost ran just as good as it did now....so as i think about it now even if your ring was broke it still would prob be not to horrible on the compression tester. Like i said earlier my oil always got super black super fast and did leak some oil out of the crank breather since new.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

ATVAddict, the odds are against you from what we can tell.....mine had a compression test of about 145 average.....my buddies was blow suck blow suck.....out the exhaust...lol.

I haven't noticed any power loss, and found out when I pulled my head to change pistons. My buddy had his rings wear through enough to break the piston, scar the cylinder, and mash his head. Some dings in the transmission too. His showed no warning either, just went to start it up one day and nothing he says.

I'd be checking, just for peace of mind, and also to put a good model 7995 on the board. the rings may not be shattered yet, but also check for signs of wear in the ring groove on the exhaust side of the piston. Thats prior to it shattering due to the ring walking in the groove. Let us know if you find anything, or plan to look at all. Thanks

Quick Reply: Bombardier's fatal flaw???----interesting UPDATE