CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Motocross setup.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motocross setup.

Last sunday I had my first motocross race, and I placed second on the ATV class (new class). It was tons of fun, and phisically very demanding. I have read several post where some of you are also racing mx with the DS. Right now it feels tippy on the corners, so I have to get the rear loose to turn fast, but that is not the fastest way. Also, the quad does not like irregularities before take off, is there any way to minimize this effect? (it takes off crooked)
My DS has stock suspension, and would like to know if certain toe, ride hight or preload setup helps going fast on this environment.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Motocross setup.

Well I had my first racing experience last saturday, and yes it certainly is demanding! I am just now getting over being sore.

The ds really is a fat pig on the track...the 150+ lbs difference between us an the smaller 450s is HUGE. our suspension is just too soft for competitve racing. Since our fronts are not adjustable (dont think 04/05's are adjustable fronts are they?) you cant stiffen it up. If you want to lower it, you could spin the preload washers all the way to the top, but I dont ride track enough to warrant doing that (especially not without having the proper tool to do it). I too was having problems going a bit sideways in the air, and the best thing you can do is to look at the lip before you jump and find a smooth spot, and once you do, jump there every time. Learning to correct the quad in the air (a chore on the ds) is also good, to help prevent sideways landings.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default Motocross setup.

Dslider, congrats on your finish!
You have your work cut out for ya when running the DS on the MX track, but is the MOST fun!! Be safe!
Your stock suspension will not allow you to drop your DS to lower the center of gravity to gain the stability in the corners without causing you to bottom out all the time on the jumps. The DS just wasnt built for the MX track. The best you can do is make sure you have the proper sag set up in your springs for your weight and make any further adjustments in the compression and rebound. Beyond that, some adjustments to your riding style can help. The more you ride the better you will get!
As far as jumps are concerned, everey track will be different. I hate ridding on tracks that the bikes ride on , the ruts just screw up my day! It wont take much to toss the DS off a bit due to its wide stance, youll have to learn to pick your lines in the practice sessions and body english will help wonders.
If the jump is smooth and level you can cause your DS to fly crooked by having too much weight on one peg or the other, or leaning too far foreward or back, now throw in too much or too little throttle and more problems will come up. Stay loose and ballanced on takeoff and let the quad float under you and youll be amazed. The application of throttle can depend on the type of jump. Long low jumps Ill hit full throttle , but steep jumps or table tops Ill hold the throttle steady in one position so I dont loop out or nose dive.

practice practice practice......

JP

Old 09-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Motocross setup.

A couple other things I forgot to mention..... I dont know how serious you want to get but here are few other options for minninmal cash..

Go to 20 or 18" rear tires and youll have to change gearing to make up for the smaller tires.
To much slide or not enough can be controlled somewhat by tire pressure too. Pay attention to track conditions durring the day.

Shocks will make a huge difference. The rear is rebuildable and can be tunned to your liking, the fronts Im afraid are not...

Shed weight , If its mot important .... take it off and put it on the shelf.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Motocross setup.

Just my .02... If I was racing MX on a DS, a steering stabilizer would be a must have item! A stabilizer will help you, so your not fighting the bike in the rough stuff. With a bike this heavy, and wide, this will help you conserve your energy, and allow you to focus better.
J.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Motocross setup.

Thanks Prozak, Roost and Freekneh. Very informative.
YES, riding this thing in the MX track if FUN. Last race everyone kept looking at me (spectators and racers) as "what the heck is this pig doing against those quads..." And more fun was to have a podium finish (it was a 12 quad race, 400ex, Honda 450 and YFZ, me, the only DS!!).
So I guess I dont have too much options to improve without spending big bucks!!? Is anyone of u racing mx with aftermarket shocks? What is your experiece, and which brand do you reccomend? I am not looking for top of the line shocks, just the minimal investment that works.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Motocross setup.

I use Elkas on my 400EX, and love them. I use their cheapest triple rate, zero preload shock, without rezzies. They're pretty cheap for the quality of shock. Also, you can add the rezzies at a later time if you'd like.
I'm happy with the way my DS rides, but when the time comes to replace them, it'll be Elkas for sure.
J

Old 09-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Motocross setup.

My yfz racing buddies run elka/pep, but my one other buddy without shocks (does more riding like me, with occasional mx) we are both looking at the new works black widows, possibly the fox floats (trying to get more info).

There are cheap works double/triple rates (non adjustable) you can get for like 300 I beleive from alba. If you are going to spend the money, you may as well get good adjustable shocks.