CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Serious question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious question

For anyone who wants to know I received a phone call from my dealer. He called BRP and left a message about the problem, BRP called him back, they have had this happen to one other 05' this year. From what I understand there is a "stopper" inside the case that is in the mold. That piece has broke off. In order to replace the parts the engine needs to be pulled out and the case split. Lots of labor, the replacement piece will be the case it's self. They won't know if there is any more damage in the tranny from a broken piece? They said it might be that the "stopper" wasn't molded very good? Heck I don't know................. They said I can pick it back up and ride it for the next two weeks if I wanted to. The mechanic is going to a schooling all next week and he is the only one that will work on the engine. I will bring it back on the 2nd of November. I told him I just need it to be done by Thanksgiving because of our trip to Florence.

I'm not much of a mechanic and I have a couple of questions.....

#1. When he goes to pull the engine apart, won't he need to adjust the valves once he puts it back together?

#2. Since I've only had the four wheeler for a month, would it be fair of me to ask for a free valve adjustment, oil change, oil filter, etc?

I think it might be worth a try? Thanks everyone! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

Yeah, I'd definetely ask them to do that stuff for free!! Your the one who, after spending a ton of money, was inconvienced by this defect. I'd expect them to do it all, and do it fast Don't be afraid to ask.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

The broken piece is still in there??? and they said you could still ride it???? ROLL THE DICE!! I don't even need to say any more!!!! do I!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

They're not sure if there is a piece in there or a bad molding in the case. Either way it looks like I'm done riding the DS for a month [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I always try to find a positive of things though. We will have some snow in the mountains real soon, time to get the GRIZZLY out and play!

Old 10-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

YEA GET OUT AND HAVE SOME FUN!! Hope i wasn't to tough on ya. Just don't want to see ya do more damage

Good luck We feel for ya Bud

Old 10-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer
Default Serious question

Ok, I didn't read all the posts but as soon as i read the first 2 sentences i had a good idea of what you are talking about. Odds are you hit a jump or something that made you slam on the shifter hard and you didn't realize it. Pull the engine, open up the case and take a look at the tranny. There is a shifter stop that is built right into the case. You probably broke it off. This is what I did to my motocross DS650. You have to buy a new part of the case, there isn't an easy or cheap fix to it. I have only seen it once since the ds has come out, on my bike. Basically I could be in third, fourth, fifth gear or whatever and i'd come to a corner to downshift and down to neutral she goes....

Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

You nailed it right on the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm scared I'll do it again once it's fixed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

If comeing off a jump and opps hit the shifter hard is what caused it then my guess is the two of you were just unlucky there. I won't pretend to know much about the inner workings, but I have done that twice off of jumps. (scary, I gotta move that foot back.) Guess I have been lucky there.

That is a bummer Topper. You will really enjoy Florence once you get there. But there really is nothing like anticipation [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

I don't think I hit the shifter in the air.... I think I just have a big heavy foot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] BPR said there might have been a bad case molding. Accidents happen I suppose.......

Old 10-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

I would go with bad molding, because if your foot is bigger and heavier then mine......You are my new best friend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] JK

Quick Reply: Serious question