CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Serious question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious question

I have a 05' DS650 with about 15 hours on it. Now when I ride it the tranny screws up! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] When I'm in 3rd gear and go to shift down to second gear it will go into netural every time. I thought it might just be me so I tried it going slow to make sure I wasn't accidently hitting the shifter. Well I wasn't hitting the shifter, it will go into netural every time I go to down shift. I have a trip planned next weekend to go to Florence (First time there and first time I have had a vacation in a long, long time. I'm looking very forward to it). Will this be a simple fix, or a very detailed fix? It's under warrenty so I'm not worried about the money part. Any info will be great! I'll take it to the shop on Monday, they already have it scheduled for a 10 hour check up and a valve adjustment. Thanks everyone! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

Sounds like it's between gears not in neutral.
Is the neutral light coming on?
Are you pushing the shifter all the way down until it stops before you let off?
Does the shifter return to it's normal position after you shift down?
Is it only that particular gear change (3rd to 2nd)?

Old 10-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

To be honest I never did look to see if the light comes on?????? When I go from third to second it will go into netural, then I lift up real quick and I'm in second. Weird huh? Pisses me off! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

Yup your shifter isn't returning to it's normal position. Don't know about your particular quad but I'd guess that you've got a weal spring in your tranny, or it came off but that wouldn't make sense for it to work properly the rest of the time. Maybe a retaining clip???? Sounds new enough to be covered under warranty.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

I just hope it's something simple so I can have it back by Thursday, we're leaving Friday at 6 am

Old 10-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

good luck. inform us on wat was wrong wen u find out.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

I really don't want to rain on your plans but I had a simular situation. My bike was hitting neutral going from 1st to 2nd everytime. It would never hold 2nd. I was told by another member NOT to ride it any futher or other major damage could be done, He spoke from personal experience. drain the oil and look at the inside of the plug, It's a magnet, ours was full of metal shavings, also, Pull out your oil filter and look for metal shavings there.. If you find some you can bet theres a bunch more inside your motor. Ours was a total tear down, had to split the cases. did it ourselves . We were lucky no major damage any where else.. Our bike is cool now.
GOOD LUCK I FEEL FOR YA

Bud

Old 10-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

You are going to have those shavings even under normal working condition.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

Not this much!!! fairly large and A L O T!! MY PLUG TOTALY PACKED WITH METAL. I do all our oil changes and never found close to the amount of shavings we found in our problem trans. bike...... TOPPER if your gona ride your bike....? just check the inside of the plug and filter!! Better safe than sorry!!

my 2c Bud

Old 10-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Serious question

I don't plan on riding it now..... It's going to the shop tomorrow morning, I will let the mechanic try to figure it out. Problem is he has never been into a tranny. I know he is a good mechanic though. I have bought several snowmobiles from him and a boat too. They are a Ski-Doo dealer, bass boat dealer, and a Bombardier dealer. Thanks for the replies!

Quick Reply: Serious question