CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Engine Painting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Painting Questions

I then baked each part for 4 hours @ 400 degrees in the over
Holy S#&% That a long time to bake the paint. That would never fly with Mrs JS.
How about the after effects like dinner tasting like#195 Black?...Nope would not be a happy time.

HT, I think I saw a high temp paint from Rustoleum at Lowes but i could be mistaken, its been a while. As far as matching wet paint to powder, powder follows the same color codes as wet paint so matching would not be any more of a problem then matching different brands of wet paint. In fact, we use wet paint to touch up areas where the p/c finish was damaged during assembly. The rattle can matches the p/c perfectly. Might be a problem matching semigloss and wrinkle finishes though, I'm not sure how that works.

Excelent job on the makeovers guys, nice attention to detail. makes me think about stripping the frame and....well maybe when I have more time its sand season now.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hightower,
If you go withpaint I would take them to somewhere that can paint them with automotive paint. Automotive paint is activated with a hardner that is mixed in just before it is shot. I have yet to find anf "spray paint" that will hold up to oil, gasoline or stay on when rubbed continuously. Even a hardened paint will not stand up to your boots.
My brother had the frame powercoated on his 400ex, his boots still rubbed throuh that.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DaBomb650
Hightower,
If you go withpaint I would take them to somewhere that can paint them with automotive paint. Automotive paint is activated with a hardner that is mixed in just before it is shot. I have yet to find anf "spray paint" that will hold up to oil, gasoline or stay on when rubbed continuously. Even a hardened paint will not stand up to your boots.
My brother had the frame powercoated on his 400ex, his boots still rubbed throuh that.

If you bake on the Ceramic paint it will be as good if not better that the factory Motor paint. you can hit it with a wrench, let gasoline and oil puddle on it till it drys, take a power washer to it, it doesn't matter. When you bake it , its their to stay. anything less than Line-X will eventually get rubbed through by your boots.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

bigger.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

you cant anodize cast peices like stock cases, covers, ect. the quality of the aluminum that they cast with has too many impurities and ruins the finish. It has to be billet for it to turn out nicely.