CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Review of Outlander 800 VS. Sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of Outlander 800 VS. Sportsman 800

Just got the new Dirt Wheels in the mail. There was the shoot-out. Boy, did they not talk the Bombardier up at all. In almost every category, the Polaris was better. With the praises they sang before the shoot-out, it was a totally different tune. I was interested in the Bomb but may wait to see what next year changes may bring.
I don't always listen to these. The DS was blasted in almost every shoot-out it was in and I love the machine.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't recall seing Dirtwheels at the Ironman this weekend. And I don't recall seeing an article in last year's dirtweels about the Ironman either. Oh well, its only the absolute largest GNCC ATV event in the nation, the grand finale of every season, round 13. I guess dirtwheels really isn't all that about dirt anymore.

Check this out, seriously.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dumb Wheels is one of the most contraversial ORV magazine on the planet..They'll give the best reviews to WHATEVER ATV Manufacturer pays them the most sponsership $$..I've seen reveiws by idoits who dont even OWN ATVs done from this magizine.I quite my subscribtion to these jerks 15 yrs ago.

Dont believe everything you read in a ragazine,especially DUMB WHEELS.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

whats funny is in a drag race this weekend the sportsman 800 wasnt even close to the bomb 800 out at sand mountain nevada. In a 300 yard race the bomb won by close to 100 yards!!!! both bikes were bone stock!

Old 10-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
Dumb Wheels is one of the most contraversial ORV magazine on the planet..They'll give the best reviews to WHATEVER ATV Manufacturer pays them the most sponsership $$..I've seen reveiws by idoits who dont even OWN ATVs done from this magizine.I quite my subscribtion to these jerks 15 yrs ago.

Dont believe everything you read in a ragazine,especially DUMB WHEELS.
Yeah what he said!

Old 10-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty much only read the letters section.

They said " The polaris SP 800 is a better all around package than the outlander 800"
I don't spend much time reading this mag, it is only because I am home sick today.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

When dirtwheels 1st heard about the outtie800, it just barely made the cover of the mag. DirtWheels is a pro polaris and esp YAMAHA, and no respect for bomb

Trending Topics

Old 10-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Steveo10
When dirtwheels 1st heard about the outtie800, it just barely made the cover of the mag. DirtWheels is a pro polaris and esp YAMAHA, and no respect for bomb
i disagree....I don't think they are Pro Polaris at all, I get the magazine and they haven't said good things about the Polaris 800 when they originally reviewed it, overall the gave it a 4 out of 5......so they obviously like the 800 Outlander less....

I think we'll have to wait for tests of other machines and see how they come out, I was thinking of getting a Camo Outlander 800, but I wanted to see mpg tests, pulling, talk about 4WD, etc. and if you were talking a pure utility machine, the Polaris would probably be it.....I just wish Bombardier or other manufacturers would make the storage like Polaris does and their AWD's like Polaris, then I would consider other machines....

Old 10-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Elkbow, just a bit of information on the Outty 800s MPG. I don't have a number yet because I was outlasting everyone in the group. But, it did seem that I was getting better than my SP700EFI. When I do get a number, it will be skewed a bit since I ride so hard. That is, unless you like the throttle as much as I do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Not sure exactly where you live, but the elevation could factor in as well.

I don't lend much credence to the Magazine reviews. They are great for opinions. But, for the most part, they are nothing more than opinions. Quad magazine did a shoot out and put the Bombardier #1 and the Sportsman #1.5.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 05PRED500
Hey Elkbow, just a bit of information on the Outty 800s MPG. I don't have a number yet because I was outlasting everyone in the group. But, it did seem that I was getting better than my SP700EFI. When I do get a number, it will be skewed a bit since I ride so hard. That is, unless you like the throttle as much as I do [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Not sure exactly where you live, but the elevation could factor in as well.

I don't lend much credence to the Magazine reviews. They are great for opinions. But, for the most part, they are nothing more than opinions. Quad magazine did a shoot out and put the Bombardier #1 and the Sportsman #1.5.
I just read the article in Dirtwheels and they said that the Outlander 800 squeaked 80 miles out of the 5.3 gallon tank and the Polaris went empty just after 70 miles for the 4.1 gallon tank.

Looking at the test, since I didn't read when they first posted, I would have to agree with the results. They tested the machine as Utility machines, loaded them with gear, and climbed some nasty stuff. Thats why I have a 700 EFI, to be able to load the machine and still ride. I quartered out an elk last year, loaded it all on the rear rack and had to ride off the side of the mountain in the dark and then ride twisty dirt roads for 20 miles back to the truck and it worked very well.

On the rest of the items they tested, they did slam on the 800 Outlander, as a Utility machine, but as a sport machine with some Utility capability they said it did well. I guess the most interesting part of the article was that the strong motor in the Outty did well at lower altitudes, but when they got up in high altitude they said the Polaris accelerated noticably faster...Its like very first year machine, BRP will change some things next year that will make it better, at least I hope so....Kawasaki didn't change the BF 750 for this year, and it has a sad suspension, but awesome motor...

Quick Reply: Review of Outlander 800 VS. Sportsman 800