CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

22's were the problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22's were the problem

well the thing is i really dont want to drop the gearing any i just wanted to add more power to the low end and not sacrifice the 95 mph i have now

thanks matt

Old 10-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

95 mph? Seems a bit high for stock gearing and 22 inch tires even with an extended rev limit. Why do you need to be topped out all the time anyway? Around here besides cruising the open fields (at which I still usually just get into 5th) is about the only place I can stretch the ds' legs. Besides that most of our riding is trails and places like the badlands, where I prefer the lower gearing.

I think the WB is a pretty decent low-end pipe, but besides changing that (or getting cams) I dont really know of any ways to gain more bottom end with the stock setup.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

05rider,

i think you might be closer to 86mph check the gearing calculater ...

im assuming you have a new filter and outerware..if not that can help...
also jetting

but i think you should drop a tooth in the front, you wont be disappointed..

.why do you need top speed ? you can get alot more low end
with these adjustments and only loose a few mph on the top end...

Old 10-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

1st-32.16
2nd-45.82
3rd-61.42
4th-77.52
5th-92.42

behind dad's f-350 94

i run alot of long drag's with a group of guys and 3 450r's and i couldnt beat em in the short run with stock 20's and barely in top end and usually we go on a long road out here in the country by my house and run for a good mile or 2?? my guess but i like the way it is right now because i have more room in each gear therefore when riding at the badlands i dont have to switch as much going through the woods as my dad usually runs about as low as i can go in 2nd gear and it gets annoying having to downshift everytime he slows down
also has any1 tried the big gun cdi for low end power if i could get a little more low end i would be sattisfied just enough to where a 450r wont blow me totally away in a short drag

thanks matt

Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have 1 question for you baja02. Did you lose this power with the stock exaust? Or did you have the tires put on when you put the exaust on. I just want to know the order these things were done because it does'nt make sense that you lost power putting a performance exaust on. I don't really mean you lost power, but mean something caused the decrease in the way it pulls and revs. I am wondering if I will lose bottom end when I install the hmf. RUSS

Old 10-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

05 rider,

those are the correct mph for 8500rpm but you are not able to get there on a stock cdi, we hit the rev limiter

at 7900 tops which puts you back to 85 mph... sorry...if you got a cdi which eliminates the rev limiter or advances 1200 more rpm's or so then maybe..but not stock-- no way

cdi's open a whole new can of worms..do a search you will see

Old 10-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

rfwlll

I added the HMF sport series to mine, did some small rejetting on the stock carb, and added the K&N filter. Huge power difference in the low and mid range. Good increase on top also as before I could not get above 7200 RPM and after change I was over 7500 RPM. Big differnces for me...

Old 10-27-2005, 04:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

HMF is the best pipe I've owned. I choose it over WB, Yoshi, you name it I've had many. best durability, and best power. last pipe I had before it was WB, and the low end boost was immediately noticable when I put on the HMF. it is very hard to beat the power of the stock exhaust with an open end cap in place of the stock baffled one, but that won't fly in my spark arrestor required areas, and the HMF offers all the power with the needed versatility, not to mention its the heavy dutiest best built pipe I've ever had.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
HMF is the best pipe I've owned. I choose it over WB, Yoshi, you name it I've had many. best durability, and best power. last pipe I had before it was WB, and the low end boost was immediately noticeable when I put on the HMF. it is very hard to beat the power of the stock exhaust with an open end cap in place of the stock baffled one, but that won't fly in my spark arrestor required areas, and the HMF offers all the power with the needed versatility, not to mention its the heavy dutiest best built pipe I've ever had.
I agree but I wish they made the head pipe. The stock head pipe is a bit too restrictive when you open the exhaust up be putting on a HMF.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

*ditto* !! ^^ I havnt run as many pipes as HT, but have run the WB (cracked mine, and even with anti-seize kept seizing up the bolts) and also the MBRP (JUNK!!!) and now the HMF. I have busted the mount off my HMF, but its pretty old so wasnt a huge deal. The hmf is by far the best exhaust I have used for the ds. Like HT, I need a sparky occasionally, and just isnt really an option with a fully open endcap (not to mention the weight of the stock pipe).

Quick Reply: 22's were the problem