CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!

Originally posted by: sandbomber
I will go get the police in a second if someone is gambling with life Mark!!!!!!!!!!!! Drunk and Stupid gets people killed
True that.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

thats sick, not good. not good at all.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Air
Pro Rider

It is much better to get involved and try to shut down the idiots any way legally possible. Getting a ranger or officer involved it needs to be done.
All states need a manditory education program when you opperate any OHV on public land. Including what can happen pics.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: Air
It is much better to get involved and try to shut down the idiots any way legally possible. Getting a ranger or officer involved it needs to be done.
All states need a manditory education program when you opperate any OHV on public land. Including what can happen pics.
I dunno man. That seems a lil un neccesary. I sate thru a couple state patrol victoms panels and i see the carnage and i think kewl. it doesnt stop me from driving. Im a crazy SOB yet Im aware of my surroundings and have never injured another rider. Some people are just retarded and no matter how much you try and educate them they still a retard. its a waste of time. let them die and do the best you can to protect your own.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Range Rover

wow man, thats sad. i might pass this around some other forums. I would hate to be that guy, id feel so bad. i couldn't imagine comin over the top of a jump or dune and suddenly landing on and killing a little girl. I wonder if they'll press charges and he'll get jail time for manslaughter?

Old 11-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

OneFly does have some points. I know I dont want to go to the dunes and be regulated so much that it doesnt feel like Im even having a nice weekend. After all, that's why we go to the dunes, to get away from people that tell us what we can & cant do all the time. Yes, things do get a little crazy, we like our adrenaline. But at the same time, most of us that are sane, have learned not to be stupid or drunk and ride at the same time. Its just too bad that the some of the newbies that go, don't ride with someone that is experienced so they can learn. When families go, its critically important that the father (or whever is the lead) knows the dangers, and has taught the kiddies how to follow him and that he keeps the family out of a dangerous situation. And for us, we need to remember the dangers of going up a blind dune and be ready for whats on the other side. Accidents will still happen no matter how safe everyone is. They happen even if we dont leave the house - and thats no life to live.

I used to go to the dunes every weekend. I had my bomber, and I had the EX for my friends to ride. For the guys that had never been on a quad, the first few weekends were total learning time. Even still, they had thier spills, but it was in an area that was away from everyone else, and all the precautions were taken to keep people away. When they did screw up, it was never anything serious, and they had thier egos bruised more than anything else. There are skills to learn, how to handle a quad, how to brake, how & where to crest a dune and knowing where the dune drags are so you dont find yourself going down in the middle of a drag going the opposite direction. Common traffic rules like staying to the right are helpful. Also knowing where the unmarked traffic flow is, and the safety it can bring by staying in those lanes on your way to another riding area. I think the most important thing to remember for the younger guys is to remember to use your mind when the adreneline flows. If you can't, go back to camp and take a break.

Im not opposed to optional classes for families that want to enroll thier kids. Perhaps even some parents may learn a thing or two. But even when families do everything they can, there are still accidents. Some of the kids (especially the teenage ones) are so darn fearless that the huge jumps are just too tempting. They break off, do thier jump, and end up a tangled mess cuz they didnt do it right. I got some pics of some kid's injuries that would make you barf! (well maybe not you Onefly!). And I've been with that father's that were in the hosital waiting rooms wondering what they could have done different.

In the end, we do what we can, we learn from our mistakes, and try to impart some of what we know to someone that doesnt want to listen more than 25% of the time. Sounds a lot like I was when I started riding in my teens. Here are some of the things I have learned that I wish more people would learn too ...

1) Dont ride dunk and stupid
2) Ride with friends
3) if you dont know the area, ride with someone that does
4) Jump with a spotter
5) Stay out of blind spots
6) If you dont know how to ride, ride with someone that does and is willing to teach you.

Thats all I have to say.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

That is terrible. I have a daughter and she begs me all the time for a Mini Raptor look a -like quad.. but I fear some guy may land on her. We only have local tracks to ride at the moment and some of these guys just don't care who is in the way. I can see one of them landing on her. That family has my deepest sympathies. It's really a tragic mishap.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

This is terrible! I'm very sorry to hear this sad story.

It seems more common everywhere you go. I watched not too long ago a couple of six or seven year olds riding double on a Grizzly! They couldn't even touch the pegs. No Helmets and both parents were sitting in the toy hauler. These are the same dirtbags parents that don't care what the kids are doing as long as they are out of their hair. They don't give a $hit! I stopped the kids by banging on the trailer and telling Mr. & Mrs. Dirtbag the ranger was on his way.

These types of stories just pi$$ me off and create more and more opportunities to shutdown riding areas. Wait until a few soccer moms see this story who know nothing about our sport but feel the need discuss it to the politicians trying to give OHV riders more regulations to abide by, and less areas to ride. Don't let stupid people destroy the sport, don't be afraid to tell someone they are acting like A$$es, the life you save may be your own.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

As a father I can't tell you the horror AND ANGER this brings to me!! We were there, AT Dumont, this is the first I've heard

GOD D $# N "F" n IDIOTS!! Would like to follow up on what happened to the JERKS!!

Gods speed to the family

Bud

Old 11-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

As a parent and duner who is teaching his son to ride this subject is something I weigh everytime I take him riding.
Let's get this out in the open though, the dunes are dangerous, period. They are fun and exciting but there is risk involved no matter how many precautions you take. I'm alot happier when my son is on the quad with me. We don't have passenger restrictions here in oregon. My belief is that if they can ride on the back of a streetbike they can ride on the back of a quad.
Virtually everyone I have talked to about duning can relate a story of an accident or near miss they were involved in, whether they were the cause or the victim. Small kids on small bikes are harder to see and they can't take the impact an adult could. They are even more at risk and you need to concentrate on them taking away some of your awareness for your surroundings.
I'm not talking about drunks and complete idiots, I've seen my share of those but people I've known who usually have decent common sense but get amped up or aren't thinking of where they are. I'm sure everyone on here knows how it feels to get amped up and ride alittle recklessly. I don't recall ever jumping over a hill blindly but I've gone off a few on accident and that adds to my point.
If you take your kids to the dunes on a busy weekend to learn to ride it's like training them to drive on the freeway. There is alot to take in about the quad, the dunes and the traffic. There can be anything from whimpy 3 wheelers that can barely climb a rise to drag jeeps and sandcars doing over 100mph. Everytime you go out you assume risk and all the legislation short of banning riding won't stop people from riding alittle too fast or not looking where they are going. All the talk about beating on someone who causes an accident will never bring a kid back.
When I take my son I go during the week or to some out of the way dunes where we can have a wide open area to ourselves. I feel I am ultimately responsible for his safety.

Quick Reply: Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!