CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!

here is the link to the story.

It is all about riding etiquette folks! I hope none of you blindly jump off of a dune or hill!! If you do, you can bet I won't be riding wih you, as I have an almost 3 yr old that I am trying to teach how to ride PROPERLY.

I know my wife wouldn't take it too well if our son was killed by some idiot not paying attention. And I also know I would probably be going to jail for a LONG TIME if I got my hands on that person before the LEO's rolled up and got them.

Some of you say, "to each their own" and so on, but unless we start policing our own sport, with stories like this, it will be regulated into the ground!

So, remember, if you see someone riding 2 up on a 1 man bike, someone rding recklessly through your camp, or someone just being a plain out idiot, STOP AND SAY SOMETHING, or the damage done by that idiot could be done to you, or someone you know.

For those of you that are going to blast me for this, hey you are entitled to your own opinion, but imagine losing a family member to someone's behavior that could have been corrected! Plus, also think of how those idiots bring nothing but negativity to our sport!!!

Old 11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Sry to hear about this... hopefully everyone will be a little more cautious in the dunes!

Old 11-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've got an 8-yr old Girl.

God help these idiots. I don't think they have enough friends to hold me back if something like this was to happen to my daughter.

We do our best to try to "educate" other riders on the dunes. Unfortunately, seems we are outnumbered.

What gets me most often is just common sense things. . . .

1. Don't ride near camp between 6am and 8am.
2. Don't ride near kids or through the circle / track they are riding at.
3. Don't ride fast or rev your bike in camp areas
4. Don't roost in camp (especially when someone is BBQ'in their dinner (this one almost caused me to get in a fight)
5. Camp isn't the riding area - no matter where you ride, the riding area is much bigger than camp. Go ride there.

Enough for me. . . someone continue on so we can get a list posted.

If anyone knew the girl, sorry to hear about this loss.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

This is terrible. why can't people use a lil common sense?

When jumpin blind dunes scope the scene first, then have a spotter on top watching.
when kids are around. Slow down and go around, they are the future of the sport, so set a good example.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

Learnem, no blasting from me. I completly agree. I have two very young ones. 5 Year old girl, and a son that is almost 3. Both are getting battery operated quads this Christmas, and should be on 50s sometime next summer. I am really excited about taking them riding and teaching them all that my dad tought me. These are the things you hate to hear about. I hate idiots everywhere. It don't matter if it is on a quad, or in a car it always worries you some. My prayers are with that family, and as we all know that injury and death is always possible in anything we do, we don't need people helping it along. I hate Dumb azzes

Old 11-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

I could write a book on accidents I have seen. All I can say to this post is.... W O R D !

Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No bashing from me. My heart goes out to this family. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DuneMe
I've got an 8-yr old Girl.

We do our best to try to "educate" other riders on the dunes. Unfortunately, seems we are outnumbered.

If anyone knew the girl, sorry to hear about this loss.

Over Memorial Day Weekend @ Pissmo, I saw a guy and his girlfriend riding 2 up on a yamy 450, taking runs up a hill, and back down again. I stopped them and told them what they were doing was illegal, to which they both gave me the finger. I found a ranger about a 1/4 mile away, informed them of what was going on, and the ranger stopped them. come to find out the operator of the yamy was drunk and got a dui!!! as they cuffed and stuffed him, he called me some unmentionable names, to whcih i replied, " well, you should have listened to me jackass"

Old 11-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DAMN IT!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I hate seeing post like this, The worst fears for a parent coming true UNNECESSARILY!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I always try and tell first timers that go out to the dunes about how to ride the dunes, mostly from keeping them from harming themselves, like not seeing a drop off and injuring themselves badly. What REALLY p!sses me off though is alot of people will be so-called veterans and STILL do the stupidest things!!

One time I was crusing around, and noticed a father and son just parked sitting on thier quads talking. the problem is that they were parked 10ft down from the top of the dune. I was on my way to tell them it was a bad idea,and just before I got thier I witnessed a PUNK kid coming over the dune on a wheelie and slammed into the kid parked on his quad. The father went nuts and was trying to get at the PUNK but was also attending to his son(he turned out ok). but if I wouldn't have been thier the PUNK kid would have gotten killed by that big dude. I explained to the PUNK to never go over a dune with his wheels up in the air without being 110% sure nobody was thier. Then I explained to the Father (after he calmed down,and the punk was gone) that he himself made a classic mistake by not parking ON TOP of the dune.

LS oklahoma averages about 3-5 deaths a year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] 99% is something like you see here at Dumont) I was all gun-ho about getting my wife and daughters into ATVing, but they are scared of the Dunes on a busy weekend. That is the main reason I bought the 4 seated rail, is so they can cruise around with me,and feel safe. When I sell the Rail, it will be only me again going to the dunes with my brothers.

My prayers are with the family.

Bigger.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

I got one story I will relate....

If anybody has been to Sandlake Oregon, you know it’s an off-road traffic nightmare! Well, I was riding my DS and a 4X4 truck almost took me out. He had no flag on his rig and was running up and down the dunes with no regard to who was on the other side. When I mentioned to him that his flag was missing, he flipped me off. So, I just happened to run across my good friend, the sheriff. Told him what happened, he took off and had ticket frenzy with the guy. Payback is a beotch. Makes you feel good when you realize you took an idiot off the dunes.

Quick Reply: Child dies @ dumont due to idiot!!!