CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bombardier Cuts Jobs and Heads to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombardier Cuts Jobs and Heads to Mexico

I remember when Japanese quality was the worst you could find. Everyone would see the "made in Japan" and think it was crap, and it usually was. Now look at Japanese quality now. For them it worked ... eventually. And it brought prosperity to Japan, and the US. We got cheaper TV sets, and we had more disposible income to spend on something else. Thats the positive side. The negative side is all those people that worked in the USA making TV sets. They either moved to other manufacturing jobs, or retrained for something else.

For me, as some of you know, I worked for MCI. MCI was hated by AT&T for years for the break up of AT&T. Many AT&T folks came to work for MCI. Then, Sprint, Worldom and a host of other came into the business. I worked in Customer Service. When Worldcom purchased MCI, they sent most of the customer service calls overseas. We all got laid off. Then I found another job for a company putting in DSL technology. I was one of 10 project managers that put DSL into SBC, and Qwest territories. After two years, we got done. I was laid off and found that most of my counterparts in the telecom industry had moved on to something else entirely. So thats what I did.

In some ways, it would be nice to work for someone and have employment with that company until you retire. I just dont think that possible in today's economy. We have to be flexible, trainable, and transportable - if not, then we end up working for Walmart as a greeter! (J/K).

I guess the trick is finding an industry that will carry you the longest, and provide a way to make headway in your next career. Things are changing so fast that I think its the only way. 25 years ago it cost 50 cents a minute to call New York on a static filled line. Now it cost 6 cents a minute. That was made possible by not incorporating metalic tranmission lines and going to fiber optics. The guys that made the metal phone cable got laid off. The guys that made the fiber, got rich. Like one of my old bosses said, "you always have to be thinking of your next job".... Stress the word "ALWAYS". You have to look out for number one, because nobody else will.

Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

All very good points,and very true also.

To those that have a problem with Mexico, or Mexicans. You need to watch the movie( A day without a Mexican). I know up north you have massive Union work groups, but in the lower 48 states of The GREAT USA, the mexicans do all the Hard labor work, their the ones that due the jobs that the White guys , Black guys ,and Native american guys DONT want to do. Don't kid yourself its not that Mexicans are "Taking our Jobs" Thats just a damn excuse..... Fact is, these "Wetbacks" are biulding America!!!! and doing the grunt work, Like digging ditches, roofing houses,laying concrete/Asphalt, putting in the pipeline's,Picking Orchards, Etc. I can go ON and ON.

Why do you think it is damn easy to cross the Border??? don't you think the United states in all its resorces could close of the border if it really wanted to? Ofcorse we could, but then WHO would do the grunt work???? NOT ME!! I have had many of those jobs, and I dont miss them one bit. I prefer making a decent living,and not minimum wage(sometimes way less). I prefer Health insurance,dental,life insurance for my family. how bout you?

When is the last time Mexico Bombed US??? Japan has. North Korea wants to blow us up so bad that can't stand it. France, Germany they don't care for us either, aswell as half of Europe and Africa. Seems to me Mexico is a pretty good Country to deal with? Even if it is "3rd world".

Its alway bad when thier is a big layoff, Like Marky said the telecommunicatons industry is THE WORST when it comes to "cutting back". But atleast we have the great opertunities to go get another well paying job, or perhaps start our on business, again like Marky.

Bigger[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

The most unfortunate part is that money is more important than people. If you don't believe that, then don't believe that you will get a longer sentence for tax evasion than murder. The system will only get worse. Greed weeds out some businesses but in the long run will destroy.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

they already posted pics of the 2008 ds650

bombardero.com

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bombedero, now thats some funny stuff right there, I dont care who you are!! But I must say, uhem, do all our grunt work? There still some of us lighter folks doing that still, and our labor costs are being driven down by the boys jumping the border. There's plenty of folks here to do the grunt work, dont let anybody fool ya!

Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: biggerisbetter

To those that have a problem with Mexico, or Mexicans. You need to watch the movie( A day without a Mexican). I know up north you have massive Union work groups, but in the lower 48 states of The GREAT USA, the mexicans do all the Hard labor work, their the ones that due the jobs that the White guys , Black guys ,and Native american guys DONT want to do. Don't kid yourself its not that Mexicans are "Taking our Jobs" Thats just a damn excuse..... Fact is, these "Wetbacks" are biulding America!!!! and doing the grunt work, Like digging ditches, roofing houses,laying concrete/Asphalt, putting in the pipeline's,Picking Orchards, Etc. I can go ON and ON.
I know many local whites who would love to dig ditches. Illlegal mexican ARE taking jobs. In my town the main employer ia cargil {meat packing} They send recruiters to mexico to sign up mexicans for visa'a AND BUS THEM HERE, then their friends and family sneak up here to be with them. When local whites apply for work at cargil they are told that they have to already be working somewhere to be considered. You can bet those mexicans they bus up here aren't already employed. The whites that do work at cargil are prone to firings for minor things, ond/or let go before they can claim their pensions. This started 10 years ago, now cargil is 80% mexican. Cocaine trafficing is rampant now, which illegals bring here, along with stabbings, and shootings. You can't walk down the street at night with out being asked if "YOU WANT DOPA". A retired man was shot and killed early one morning when he supprised a homeless illegal that had broken in and was smoking crack in his basement. The illegal fled to mexico. Police are no help, cargil buys them off by paying for a new police station and cars. Needles to say most whites are leaving this area in droves{ just what cargil wants}. Property values here have nose dived. Alot of mexicans here "GANG RENT", 15-25 people in one house is common. 10 years ago, there was 6500 people here. Now there's 4500 whites and 7500 mexicans, who knows how many illegals. The mexican flag and american flag fly at public schools here. Alot of white kids have to be picked up from school or get beaten up by gangs of mexican kids. We've had little legue fields torn down so soccer fields could be built. It's a discrace what has happened here. Cargil flat out RAPED this town for profit. F*CK corperate america. F*CK illegals. I think the u.s. army should patrol the border.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe this is the only way to make the ATV line profitable? They are only moving the ATV assembly there, not the ski doo or sea doo lines. Shoot they only produce the Outlanders and DS's anyway. The Ralley, kids ATV's and the DS250 are all made in Tiawan.

They have been assembling automobiles in Mexico for years.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: midnite
Originally posted by: biggerisbetter

I know many local whites who would love to dig ditches. Illlegal mexican ARE taking jobs. In my town the main employer ia cargil {meat packing} They send recruiters to mexico to sign up mexicans for visa'a AND BUS THEM HERE, then their friends and family sneak up here to be with them. When local whites apply for work at cargil they are told that they have to already be working somewhere to be considered. You can bet those mexicans they bus up here aren't already employed. The whites that do work at cargil are prone to firings for minor things, ond/or let go before they can claim their pensions. This started 10 years ago, now cargil is 80% mexican. Cocaine trafficing is rampant now, which illegals bring here, along with stabbings, and shootings. You can't walk down the street at night with out being asked if "YOU WANT DOPA". A retired man was shot and killed early one morning when he supprised a homeless illegal that had broken in and was smoking crack in his basement. The illegal fled to mexico. Police are no help, cargil buys them off by paying for a new police station and cars. Needles to say most whites are leaving this area in droves{ just what cargil wants}. Property values here have nose dived. Alot of mexicans here "GANG RENT", 15-25 people in one house is common. 10 years ago, there was 6500 people here. Now there's 4500 whites and 7500 mexicans, who knows how many illegals. The mexican flag and american flag fly at public schools here. Alot of white kids have to be picked up from school or get beaten up by gangs of mexican kids. We've had little legue fields torn down so soccer fields could be built. It's a discrace what has happened here. Cargil flat out RAPED this town for profit. F*CK corperate america. F*CK illegals. I think the u.s. army should patrol the border.
Midnight, I have a question... What does this have to do with Canadian Bombardier moving assembly ops to Mexico????

Old 11-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Hightower
at least the engines will still be made by rotax in europe, hopefully.
if we're lucky they will maintain quality control standards in spite of different labor, but that's sometimes hard to do.
I will say that I have had many products made in mexico by american companies in the past that have proven to be fine quality, but I know it doesn't always hold true. but my mexican Fender Squire played as good as my american Fender Stratocaster guitar, and cost $250 instead of $1000.
I guess its been coming, what with their korean minis and the new ds250.
regardless, it does indeed suck for the people losing their jobs up here.
Im sorry but the american strat should only cost 250 they have to be the cheapest guitar out BUT they do have a great tone that nowbody can duplicate I actualy play a little I have a prs brazilian rosewood ltd #470 of 500 artist grade flame top with mother of pearl birds and gold hardware with dragon 2 pickups And I play threw a Mesa tripple rectifier full stack or a legend ac30

Old 11-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Range Rover

To tell the trouth I dont like the DS but i do hope they stay in bussiness Also they could just raise the price of the quads and stay but I guess they will raise the price and move so they can make more money and have a lower quality product

Quick Reply: Bombardier Cuts Jobs and Heads to Mexico