CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Considering an Outlander 800, what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Location: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an Outlander 800, what do you think

I currently am riding an 02 Prairie 650 that has been an awsome machine. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of fuel injection, it's a little cold natured all year around. What does everyone think of the new OL800, does any one have one? I have now read a post on here that says they are moving their faciliteis to Mexico, is the Bombardier going to go the way of the Canandale? How strong is their ATV division?

Thanks

Old 11-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I picked my 800 XT up on 10/26. I gave too much but BRP dealers aren't too common in Central Illinois. I paid $9200 OTD which is less than MSRP but $500 to $700 more than what I've seen others across the forum give. One other dealer that I tried wouldn't budge off the MSRP of $9399 + tax. I've only ridden 40 miles on it so far and don't have anything to compare to it except the Raptor that I sold. It's a whole different world coming from a sport quad to a utility so my opinion of my new ride is skewed. It seems to have ample power but the handling leaves something to be desired compared to a sport. This weekend I'll be riding with a BF 750 and a Polaris 800 so I'll be able to better judge what I've got.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

The Outty 800 is superior to all the other big bores from what I've heard, but it is a lot of money too. I don't you have to worry about their ATV divison not being strong in the future, they are closely tied with Skidoo who has been a strong brand for many years.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big wave why don't you take a little money and put into your quad instead of spending an arm and a leg on a new one. For less than $2000 you can install a big bore with port work like what cc1999 has on the kawi forum. He has pics of his 800 twin peaks, same as prairie, and his 800 bomb racing. From what he says the outy seems to be a good quad but I personally like the way the prairie handles much more like a sport quad. Oh yea by the way his twin peaks whips up on his bomb. According to his pictures while sand dragging the two he has to run tha twin peaks in 2wd and the bomb in 4wd to even make it close and the twin peaks still wins. Now I know none of this will keep it from being cold natured but if you are willing to give them a second to warm up then you can make them run really good.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Location: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois

Ya, FASTFATBOY I have thought about that and I have read the review you are speaking of word by word; twice. And infact I have done that a little, I put a few new pieces of plastic on the old girl, some new tires and rims and had the front end recall thing done, what a deal that was, new a-arms, all new bearings/seals, nuckel joints, etc the dealer told me I made out like a bandit, everybit of $1000 worth of work, for FREE. As for price I wouldn't dream of paying 10k for an atv but I found a large dealer 70miles from me who is selling the Outlanders for $7500. + tax and title that gets it down where I'd consider it. I may have a barely used set of four stock size swamp fox 6-ply tires mounted to itp series 5 rims to sell here in a day or two, they look great and perform much better then stock but will still slide around.
I'm going to go ride a Bomb tomorrow, I think. One other thing of note I just had a buddies quad with about the same miles and hours as mine have an engine problem, $4200+ to fix, a piece on the lower inside of the engine came loose and wreaked havic, cracked one whole side of the engine case. That scares me, probably a fluke but for that I could trade and have brand new. I just don't know weather I can trust a bomb or not, but it's the only quad that appeals to me other then what I already have. I rode a BF 750 and didn't like the handling at all, very unstable compared to my Prairie, great engine, but tricky to ride fast, I didn't like it.

I'll let you know what I think after a ride, if I actally go do it that is.