CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dyno Chart w/Intake Cam Retarded one Tooth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Chart w/Intake Cam Retarded one Tooth?

Has anyone dynoed a stock DS with it's intake cam retarded one tooth? It makes a noticable difference in upper RPM power on the turbo.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Your kidding right??

Old 11-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

no I'm not kidding!!

11,000 RPM rev limit

Old 11-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

The theory of a 4 valve cylinder head was to run a bigger cam on intake and a smaller cam for exhaust.
To have the best of both worlds, that is , good torque and good horsepower.
I just don't understand why the cam manufactures still make cams as if it is a two valve head.
I am going to try when I do some dyno work.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Scooby we have dynoed some motors like that, the later intake opening makes the engine want to rev higher. We noticed the power adder motors like this best because your already making lots of cylinder pressure with the boost or nos so the loss of cyl pressure is not noticed.

It seemed that one tooth was way too much so we ordered a pile of cams with different lobe centers and dynoed them all to see which way the motor liked it best. We did most of this testing on naturally aspirated engines and one nos engine combo. We also noticed that every combination of porting and carb/carbs made huge differences in what cams the motor wanted.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Scooby we have dynoed some motors like that, the later intake opening makes the engine want to rev higher. We noticed the power adder motors like this best because your already making lots of cylinder pressure with the boost or nos so the loss of cyl pressure is not noticed.

It seemed that one tooth was way too much so we ordered a pile of cams with different lobe centers and dynoed them all to see which way the motor liked it best. We did most of this testing on naturally aspirated engines and one nos engine combo. We also noticed that every combination of porting and carb/carbs made huge differences in what cams the motor wanted.

Yea one tooth SHOCKED me !! didn't think that much would worK.. I've read and seen alot about ya Scooby. You seems to know your shhhhiii.. stuff. Hell I have yet to get our turbo to run right!! Making progress the hard way !!!! TRY IT, BLOW IT UP, REBUILD, TRY AGAIN, BLOW IT UP,REBUILD ETC.!!??

Old 11-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Does anyone know of a dyno chart posted online showing web 109's on a 650cc motor? I just tried the 109's with the intake cam retarded one tooth to get around 110 degree lobe centers. The upper RPM power holds forever.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Uh, Scoob, 1 tooth put you at about 125-130 lobe center. The top end will hold forever, but it misses peak hp by a lot.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

nope on lobe centers. there are 34 teeth on the camshaft so one camshaft tooth equals 360/34 = 10.5 camshaft degrees. Since the crank gear is 17 teeth and rotates twice for ever one camshaft rotation, one tooth on camshaft equals 21 crankshaft degrees. When you retard the intake cam one tooth the lobe centers increase by 10.5 degrees not 21 degrees because this is a relative measurement between the two 34 tooth cams. camshaft diagram

it's not missing peak HP with the turbo, it gained a lot of HP over stock cams. the turbo amplifies the gains you get on a naturally asperated motor.

the turbo positioned under seat shifts the torque curve to the right.

i'm running a twin 40mm throttle body.

i'm also running custom ignition timing and of course methanol.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:40 PM
5X
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Dyno Chart w/Intake Cam Retarded one Tooth?