CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm45 or lectron 46/48

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm45 or lectron 46/48

Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
I find it interesting that everyone thinks it is such a big difference. Even by thier own dyno on HPresearch the power difference was minor. Just my 2 cents, but that was thier dyno. It is all about tuning and having the right pieces in place for whatever you get. For me my TM45 came in used for the right price. I have not been able to run it yet, but can't wait to over stock.
First of all that test was done on a bone stock bike where power differences are not as big. The TM was down 2-3hp if it was one jet size on either side of the 170 main. We have noticed the the biggest problem with the Mikuni is its problem holding"the tune" when weather conditions change. If it was better it would be on my bike. Thats not an opinion its fact. The tm works ok and can get close to the Lectron under perfect conditions but will never be as consistant. On bigger motor we have seen as much as 8hp loss running the tm.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Eric,

There are some things that are new in developemnt for the TM, unlike you have tested. I dont sell carbs anymore, and I can tell you that what Jeff has developed for the TM is astounding. Now, I dont know if he's gonna offer this in a production format, but nonetheless, its very astounding. A lot of people like the Lectron, a lot of people dont. Personally I dont like needle carbs. I have the Edlebrock on my EX and I have the same problems with the needle that a lot of people have with the Lectron. I perform much more maintenance on my Edlebrock becauase of the needle. For me, its worth the extra time and effort, for some it is not. I may switch to something else down the road. But, more than that, cost will always be an issue with some of these very expensive carbs. And to be frank, I wonder how much longer the future will hold for these high performance carbs on ATVs. In the next few years, I predict that most new performance quads wont even have them.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 05dsrider
i want to get a new carb but i dont wanna pay out the but for a brand new 1 so does any1 have a carb that they want to sell and any extra jets you have

thanks matt
I have a Lectron HV46 that needs a new home, you have a PM

Old 11-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

No, nothing bad was said about that test. I like the fact that HPresearch put that info up. I was just advising that the numbers were very close. Based on what I read, it was close enough for me to go with the used TM45 when a deal I could not pass up came by. Had that been the 46 that was being sold for that deal I would have gone that route. I really believed that the Test was fair, and I think that was commendable.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Eric,

There are some things that are new in developemnt for the TM, unlike you have tested. I dont sell carbs anymore, and I can tell you that what Jeff has developed for the TM is astounding. Now, I dont know if he's gonna offer this in a production format, but nonetheless, its very astounding. A lot of people like the Lectron, a lot of people dont. Personally I dont like needle carbs. I have the Edlebrock on my EX and I have the same problems with the needle that a lot of people have with the Lectron. I perform much more maintenance on my Edlebrock becauase of the needle. For me, its worth the extra time and effort, for some it is not. I may switch to something else down the road. But, more than that, cost will always be an issue with some of these very expensive carbs. And to be frank, I wonder how much longer the future will hold for these high performance carbs on ATVs. In the next few years, I predict that most new performance quads wont even have them.
When NHRA Pro Stock bikes start running tm45's I'll question whether I'm running the right carb. But remember I'm all about performance. The future is bright as far as performance carbs, they are the quickest, easiest, and cheapest hp per dallar bolt-on that can be bought.

"Personally I dont like needle carbs." The tm has a needle....?

Old 11-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Eric,

When NHRA Pro Stock bikes start running tm45's I'll question whether I'm running the right carb. But remember I'm all about performance. The future is bright as far as performance carbs, they are the quickest, easiest, and cheapest hp per dallar bolt-on that can be bought.

"Personally I dont like needle carbs." The tm has a needle....?
That one went right over your head didnt it? LOL

Old 11-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

Eric,

Whats wrong with needle carbs? What screws up and requires maintenance?
The Lectron is a needle carb and so is the TM?

Old 11-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RyanDS650x
Originally posted by: 05dsrider
i want to get a new carb but i dont wanna pay out the but for a brand new 1 so does any1 have a carb that they want to sell and any extra jets you have

thanks matt
I have a Lectron HV46 that needs a new home, you have a PM
I f you would like to sell to me give me a pm Thanks Mike

Old 11-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

i use a hv46, great carb, im using it with a twist and havnt had a single complaint.
havent tried the tm so cant compare

Old 11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
I find it interesting that everyone thinks it is such a big difference. Even by thier own dyno on HPresearch the power difference was minor. Just my 2 cents, but that was thier dyno. It is all about tuning and having the right pieces in place for whatever you get. For me my TM45 came in used for the right price. I have not been able to run it yet, but can't wait to over stock.
Sometimes, you have to read between the lines. It was more than fair.

quote from original post: "Mr Horsepower 46hv as it came out of the box -no tuning, ported intake, Billet Endcap: 51.5 hp STD, 48.2 ft lb torque - this combo was a little rich on the air/fuel, but no tuning was done since this is how customer receives it. " remember, "NO TUNING".

Now, for the rest of the story....
We were quite surprised when the crate stock bike made the high power that it did, while the Lectron combo made the same power that it always did even on lower hp crate bikes. In other words, the power increase was less than usual. After we thought about it, we went back to the dyno a couple of days later and "tuned" on the Lectron for a few minutes. A jet change and a twist of the needle, we gained the missing power and went to 53.5hp.

Now, remember, the Mikuni carbs were supposedly setup out of the box for a stock machine, but the power was junk - we had to tune them to optimum performance. For those that will want to question my honesty on our second "tuned" Lectron dyno session, at the very least, you have to recognize that you were looking at "Best case" highly tuned Mikuni VS "Worse case" non tuned Lectron.

If it is in tune, the Mikuni is an improvement over stock- I ran them for many years before converting. When on a budget, you simply have to weigh it HP per dollar. If it weren't for the hard throttle pull and

I'm not sure I understand the Needle type carb question. All carbs that I'm aware of have a needle that MUST be adjusted and MUST be the correct needle to begin with. The difference is you have 5 predetermined clip positions on most Mikuni carbs - if they don't work, too bad. On a Lectron, the needle is WIDELY adjustable. Either way, you have to have them adjusted properly. The top end is tuned by a main jet inside the float bowl on a Mikuni, but by an external, and easy to access, power jet on the Lectron. All of the jets are readily available just about anywhere.

Oh, and it wasn't our dyno- it was a local dynojet session that cost $307 + AZSand plane ticket + 8 hours labor x 4 people - AZSand winnings at the boat (and he didn't share!). So where is all that money you guys promised to kick in way back then? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: tm45 or lectron 46/48