CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tranny on the Way Out ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny on the Way Out ???

Hey Guys I need help

I was out ridding this weekend and started to have some problems shifting. First and second gears seemed to be fine, but I hard a very hard time shifting into 3rd,4th or 5th. I would have to slow right down and make sure there was very little load on the motor or tranny to get the other gears to ingauge. I could keep pulling on the shifter with my foot but could not feel a click unless I slowed down.

I installed a Dirt digger clutch about 6 months ago and it has worked great for the last 6 months. I tryed adjusting the clutch cable (both ways tighter and looser), but it did not seem to make a difference.

Does this problem mean I will have to get a 2nd job to pay for a tranny rebuild. There is no use in taking it all apart and not doing a re-freash on the motor - right ??? After all the motor has never been apart and it is 5 years old !!!

Thanks for all the help and advice in advance !!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I hate to hear anybody having problems with their DS. But, if your going to have to tear it down to fix it...then, I would say that is a perfect excuse to go ahead and "refresh" the motor....you might even want to spend a few extra coins to give you a few more ponies, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

PS: I always look for excuses to go fast, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Does it ever pop out of gear? You might have some shift fork problems. I agree with choose about freshening it up a bit.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

What scatterbrain said -

By the way, I'm here in Idaho -- OMG!

Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

ODP, you are alive!!! Was starting to wonder about you.

Old 11-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Marky, Hows it goin man. You likeing your new home? Pm me your new # Where comin over there this spring gotta hook up and get the tour brother! (ST. A's)

Old 11-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
Hey Marky, Hows it goin man. You likeing your new home? Pm me your new # Where comin over there this spring gotta hook up and get the tour brother! (ST. A's)
PM sent -

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes it pops out of first gear, but it has done that for a long time. I always thought that was just me not getting it fully into gear. 1st is the only gear it happens with. The gears that I have trouble getting into (3rd,4th,5th), work fine once I get into them - it is just very hard getting into those gears. I can shift down with no problem out of these gears, but just can't get into them unless I slow right down.

Does anybody know if MR. HP would work on my tranny while doing motor work - the refreashen I talked about.

If this is the cause, I can't wait to see what it is going to cost to ship my motor from B.C. Canada to Kentucky.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, I'm glad to hear this 'tranny coming out' talk is about an engine and not other sutff, (especially after the first line is 'hey guys I need help') you know some Canadians are weird! Just kiddin'! hahahah

The DS engine weighs in at 100 lbs. I have heard this is right around the max UPS will take, and that they don't do a very good job with items that heavy. Perhaps a trucking company is a good idea? I have always heard Forward Air is a good one. I figure a trucking company deals with more heavy crap so 100 lbs. is almost a joke to them. Also FedEx has a freight company as well. I also know that shipping over the border with UPS and FedEx can cost a lot since they go through customs - so maybe find a trucking company with a depot just south of the border. (No, I have no idea where Salmon Arm is in relation to the US / Canada border.)

Whatever you do - pack the engine VERY WELL! If I were going to ship an engine of that size and weight I would look for someone who just bought a new HP color Laser PRinter or other LARGE sized laser printer. Those printers weigh in at close to 100 lbs. and they have some really trick designed boxes that will hold your engine and not let it get destroyed.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider

The last motor I built before moving on, was for a guy in New York. He packed it in a hard plastic cooler, with very good foam stuffed around the motor. Then, strapped the hinged lid down with straps from the UPS store. It cost $130 to send from New York state to Oregon, with $4500 insured ground shipping. The motor arrived is pristine condition, I sent it back in the same cooler. It was the best way to send a motor I have seen yet.

Quick Reply: Tranny on the Way Out ???