CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just read both shootouts...Ds vs. Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,I just read the DS,EX,Raptor shootout,and thaught it was pretty fair.I will say that the Raptor is up their in speed,But to me,does not have that tuff factor in it like the DS.I think they may have tried to make it to light.
that maybe why the Dirtwheels Raptor bent the axle.WOW.... I think the ex, may have the same problem with the rear swingarms cracking,but nothing like you are hearing about on the Raptor.I have a 99ex and have never had that problem.Nobody I know has had that problem with the EX,but I have seen a raptor with a bent a-arm.They sead that the EX burnt the bearings.I have never had that problem with the EX.Go figer,,,,
The DS scratched a rim. well La-d-daw.(lol).The DS was made with sand in mind.Like they say,wider is better.

Old 11-01-2000, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I used to own a 87 yamaha Banshee which was bored over to 420cc. I drag raced someone at traxx up at Jack Frost Mountain and I got literally burnt by a DS650. That is what made me want to get one. Though the banshee did have a higher top speed than the DS. The banshee is just alot harder to control at high speeds because of the powerband. The Raptor is cool looking but when I sat on it, it felt to narrow and I felt like, if I was driving it it would roll over on me. It kind of reminds me of an old Suzuki quadrunner 230. I was reading the shootout in the 4 Wheel ATV Action magazine and it seems like the raptor had gotten more credit than the DS. But the DS is an awesome machine. I just have one question, Does anyone know if any aftermarket company sells big bore kits for the DS? I know that yamaha has bore kits for the raptor.

Old 11-02-2000, 02:39 AM
Trailblazer

Hey I was in the Bomb dealership today and he pointed out an artical. I think the artical came from Bomb themselves but maybe you guys could tell me more if ya heard of this. He said," They jumped the two against eachother and the front of the Raptor folded up like a tent." Know I don't know if this is true but I've rode both and the DS feels more comfortable for me, I guess it's tailored for the bigger riders.

Old 11-02-2000, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, I just noticed that the Raptor is up to a two page ad just inside the front cover! Maybe that's why it did better in this review compared to the other magazine reveiw.....

I didn't notice an ad for the DS650......

Though, they are now saying that the awesome, narrow, dirt bike like seat on is too narrow and uncomfortable.

It will probably take until the Cannondale comes out and they start placing full page ads that we don't find out about the weaknesses of the Raptor.
Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 11-02-2000, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, it's funny how they knock on the DS650's rims, when they are the heavy duty red labels. You don't get any better or stronger without going to re-inforcing rings and such.

It seems that since the DS isn't advertised and the Raptor had a two page full color ad, that the Raptor keeps getting better and better.

It's like the old Honda thing (300EX and 400EX shootouts against bigger faster ATV's), "well, it may not be as fast, but it FEELS more comfortable, stable and handles better". Of course, Honda had a two page full color ad also....

Maybe if Bombardier would put out a two, three or four pages worth of ads, it would all of a sudden have an updated review on how it totally squashes the Raptor.... :-)

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 11-02-2000, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I did the math on two of Team-PAMI kits Kit 2 about $2200.00 for a 703cc and 68 hp. Kit 4 goes for about $3300.00 for a 711cc and 79hp. This is on a BMW F650 engine and includes German taxes. All you have to due is ship your engine to Germany.

Old 11-02-2000, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Folded like a tent..haha.

Anyways, does Anyone have the newest 4 wheel atv action and have a scanner? I would like it if somonen would send me the artical of the Shootout itself. i have yet to read it all. I would be very pleased if somone would send me just that artical..thank you very much.

Old 11-02-2000, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Alright, if you guys dont want to send any scans of the shootout..hwo about somone go over it and tell me about it.

Old 11-03-2000, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Hey 300exSter,Want somthing to laugh at??How about OVERLOADED GARBAGE TRUCK on the offroad.com sight Rapter Reveiw.Ha Ha Ha Ha ..............

Old 11-03-2000, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

x250rDude,

Comone now, you surly dont want to start in on an argument do you? because if you do i'd just simply have to bring up the RAPTORS: Broken axles, broken a-arms, carb "Fireing" off....and in another 2 months, i'll have to bring up the swingarm when it starts cracking. Now your simple "its heavy" comment isnt so effective anymore, when compared to all of the Flaw's in the raptor. And by the way its only been in production for a few months!! Think about what the complaints will be in a few years! Oh yeah, when you say the raptor cost's less then the DS...what about when you break your aarms, and axle? and possibly swingarm? Well sure you could have warrenty cover it..but who would want more stock (crap) parts that break over and over again? and even if you do take the stock parts, what about when warrenty runs out? Then what, you will have to buy aarms, axle, swingarm, axle carrier.....wow that puts it way way over 7000. And i dont think i'v seen but 1 complaint about the a-arms breaking on a ds...and for sure not the axle. Now if you (or another raptor owner) wants to reply and keep this argument going, then i'm game for it. Just saying what i think

Quick Reply: Just read both shootouts...Ds vs. Raptor