CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

hypertech rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hypertech rims

are thes rims any good for the sand dunes and jumpin

Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default hypertech rims

Ask Oregon Dune Patrol about Hyper Tech. I agree with his opinion and especially as to how he got to that opinion. Or you could search in these forums and find the answer.

Short answer:

They are not a good idea.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default hypertech rims

Dan,

As long as you are aware of the issues with the Hyper-tech rims, then you can make an educated decision. I know my old rims are floating around your area, so here's the scoop.

The main problem with the Hyper tech rims is that the off-set was not the same as stock for the rear wheels. The net result of the incorrect off-set was that it narrowed the DS from rear tire to rear tire (side to side) by about 2 inches. Two inches is huge when it comes to trails and cornering. But for other types of riding its fine. The potential for roll over is greater the more the offset reduces the overall width.

It turns out that the off-set is exactly the same as the Honda 400EX, which was the rim they produced before the DS. They are the same wheel as the EX, just the billet aluminum center piece was changed to accomidate the DS bolt pattern. I dont know if thats true with the new wheels, but it was at least true for the older ones.

Supposedly, Hypertech is making new wheels for the DS. But to be honest, that rumor has been going around now for a year. So, I really dont know when/if that will happen.

The other problem I had was with the bead locks. At the time I was at about 55hp on my DS, was sand dragging at Sand Lake on the flats. The bead locks came loose. So, if you get them, find out the specs and torque them over spec (you'll need a torque wrench). I have no idea how much over torque you'll need to go. I just know that I ruined two brand new rear tires after one drag run attept after the bead locks didnt hold.

Hyper tech hates me every time I post. But the facts are the facts. I hope you get a good deal on them.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default hypertech rims

Hey

Ok so they are ur rims ok. i was goin to get them but they dont make a size 22 sand tire so i think i will just stick with my rims

Old 11-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default hypertech rims

Marky,

I guess the truth hurts every time you tell it eh? They could fix the problem any time they wanted to; sure it costs money but I run a business and I don't cheap out on my customers.