CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cross Country Set-up for DS 650

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 04:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering, If all the raptor seems to have on the DS is the fact that it is narrow. Couldn't -2 A-Arms and a -2 swingarms make the beast the ultimate Cross country trail cruiser? And as far as the magazines drag race testing did anyone notice how it was in very dusty condition? This is done on purpose to give the Raptor an advantage. I used to race Flattrack and can tell you for a FACT that shortening your swingarm makes you hook HARD off the line and also give you better hook coming out of turns. If someone were to cut 2" off the DS 650 or if they were to drag race in moist clay like we have here the results would be that the DS wins everytime (stock vs. stock). Yamaha has lots of advertizing into dirtwheels and they knew that they would need to test it in conditions that gave it the edge. Yamaha still did not put any Rake on there front end (not much at least, maybe 5 degrees) this will make it never be able to ride as good as a 400EX (250R copy mostly) or DS650 through square edged bumps at race speed. Drag racing is so subjective that it is really easy to manipulate conditions to get any result that you want. Did any one see any pictures of there MX track that they tested on? Didn't think so, If I wanted a raptor to win on my MX track I would put small jumps with medium length straightaways (to outmotor the 400EX) to let the raptor hook good with that short swingarm out of corners, on a dry dusty day (total manipulation to ALL the Raptors strongpoints). If they had tested on say a sand MX track or one not so tight like at Macon, Georgia (clay moist track) the DS would beat the Raptor badly. Aside from reverse, the Raptor has no real advantage on the DS because anyone who wants to race MX will spend $$$ and get a heavy Chromoly swingarm +1 or +2, along with a heavier axle +4 width, and some +2 A-Arms each side (more weight added) and there goes your 42lb weight advantage. Its total BS all the crap I hear and read about how bad the DS is in the woods. Again cut the swingarm 2-3" narrow the front end, and you have a Rap-terrorizer. Wonder why no one has ever thought of this??

CT250R

Old 11-01-2000, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Don’t forget the cost to change a Raptor to DS650 spec or a DS650 to Raptor Spec. The a-arms cost about $675.00 a set, the shocks cost about $675.00 a set, the a new rear swing-arm cost about $600.00 then you have to get a new or have your old shock rework $600.00 to $400.00 the rear axel is $600.

Old 11-01-2000, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

But Dirt Wheels did say that the DS is the sand king.I think if the Raptor Has any advantage,its the way the tires hook up to the ground.In the dirtwheels shootout,they even say that with better gripping tires like on the Raptor,the results may be different.They sead they are going to test some different tires in a future story.I have a 400EX that also has gripping tires,and I like being able to do power wheelies and Lofting the front end,but the DS is better at lighting its tires,throwing the back end around,and I love doing that too.

Old 11-02-2000, 09:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Get the 4-wheel atv action and check out the comparism. The testers claimed that the DS needed a couple of things and would be a totally different machine! They mentioned the Ron woods stage 1 kit and A-arms? I believe. They also said the weight difference was 70+ pounds wet and ready to ride (1 gallon gas). Also...I agree...it is easy to manipulate shootout numbers because some machines perform better under different situations.

Old 11-02-2000, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yup, Yamaha is up to two full page color ad in that magazine where the Raptor "rules". It's funny how the more advertising a product gets, the better the product becomes!

Near the end of the article it does mention some jetting changes for 2001 that I'm going to look into for mine.

Also, they don't mention if the DS was setup for the riders or if they just rode them as they were. I know for a fact that the rear suspension is pre-loaded too much for me, at 270lbs even, from the factory. This makes the rear light, especially when giving it power, which makes the wheels spin instead of grip. I cannot do a wheelie on mine, but the tires will spin till I hit second and again until I hit third and even into third. I'm hitting third gear in about twenty feet, having hit the rev limiter in both first and second gear.

I haven't messed around with it, since the areas I have rode for the most part don't have any pavement that will make it easy to start ripping into the rear end. I'll probably make an estimated guess and adjust it before I start riding again in the spring, unless I go do some trail riding this fall/winter.

Laters,
CRT_Leech