CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Yoshimura RS-3 Repacking Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoshimura RS-3 Repacking Question

If anyone is running the Yoshi RS3 (or owned one in the past) and has repacked it then I need your help please.
It's one of the older ones so it had no spark arrestor. Ordered a couple from Yoshi, got them in, decided since I had the end off that I would go ahead and repack it. Problem is, I can't get the core out. The packing around the end cap is very tight, nothing is giving in there. Does the pipe push or pull out towards the engine end to allow access to the core? Do you just pull out the packing from around the pipe then cram the new down in there. Seems to me it should have a removable core... I can't get anything to budge.
I'm open to any and all suggestions.

And do you suggest running the cone on the spark arrestor in or out?

Old 12-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

WOW! Surely I'm not the only one...
Maybe all of the Yoshi owners are watching Fear Factor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

I have one but its still good for packing....all the pipes ive seen the baffle tube comes out so it sounds kind of weird. If nobody on the bomb forum has any info on this.. the yoshi rs3 pipes are all the same you could try the yamaha forum also.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just replaced my RS-3 with a Top Gun. The RS-3 is in perfect shape in the garage now. I never did replace the packing since it is less than 6 months old. I assumed it would be easy though. Maybe not. Ya want another one? It might need new packing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The method Yoshi packs their pipes is their secret to how and why they are able to much such good power, with one of the lowest dB output. it is super tight, I dont think you can redo it yourself in your garage, I think it must be sent to them. The core has a steel wool packed around it first, then the fiberglass around that. the steel wool blows fibers as you ride, and my sparky screen would always clog with these steel wool fibers, and it would collect like a birdnest around the coned screen. this is the only reason I no longer have the pipe, because my ride areas require sparkys and I hated the constant cleaning my yoshi screen required. if you send the pipe to Yoshi, be for-warned - my experience with them, and many others I know, is that their customer service lacks a lot to be desired.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had the same experience with the RS-3 as you Hightower. I finally took my spark arrestor out for good. A little off subject but the RS-3 seems soooo loud on YFZ's, Raptors and especially Z400's, but Hightower is right, it is remarkably quiet on the DS. I can't explain it. The reason mine is sitting in the garage is I loved the bottom end and midrange power but it was weak on top and that wasn't cutting it. Very high quality pipe though IMHO.

I called a buddy about his RS-3, Ace. He repacked his and the center core did not pop out of his, he drilled the rivots at the bottom of the can and slipped it off, then installed new rivots when he put it back together. He said the pipe was significantly louder with his packing job compared to the factory's. FWIW.

I wouldn't do what he did. but that is just me.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Military Rider

Gee Thanks Hightower and DSNut, I think I'll go out to my garage now and shoot myself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Mine must be an older model because Sandaholic said there were three screws to remove the endcap to get to the spark arrestor, like on my Big Gun, but not on this Yoshi. Four bolts holding on the entire endcap, no access to the SA like on other makes. And mine isn't as quiet as you guys are making out, bout' as loud as the BG. And the SA's that Yoshimura sent me are just cones, don't have the tube like most of you have.
Maybe it's time for a MrHorsepower endcap? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Course' then I'd have to hav the intake ported by them...

Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ace,

Sorry for the bad news. Mine has 3 allen head bolts in a triangle around the exhaust outlet. I didn't get a tube either. Mine is just a domed screen. BTW I think a MR. HP endcap is really loud to. Do you have any interest in their new Top Gun? I was able to jump from 110 powerjet size to 120 on my lectron when I switched from the Yosh to the TopGun with all twelve discs in place without running too rich on top. More Power!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Good Luck!

Ron