CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just picked up Outty 400s

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up Outty 400s

This is copied from my post in the "Buying an ATV" forum

Picked up our 2 06 Outty 400 on monday and got them out for a little ride this afternoon. Overall I am very pleased and impressed with the machines.

The handling far exceeded my expectations. While not as good as my last machine (400ex) it was far better than I expected a big fat utility (even a sport ute) to be.

The power seemed quite good although I was taking it very easy as they are still in break-in. With a little body english even 2/3 throttle could break the tires loose to induce a slide. Can't wait till break in is over to really play.

The ride is better than anything else I have ever ridden. That independent rear really seems to work.

Got the Visco-lock to operate a little. Cool stuff. I took a very steep hill with a lot of loose gravel at a low speed that would spell didaster for a sport bike. Crawled right up with no drama aside from a little difference in steering weight. Amazing how this machine could turn a "high pucker" event for a sport bike into child's play. Don't get me wrong, I still love the sport bikes.

Not so crazy about the single lever braking but it will just take some getting used to. The brakes work VERY well.

The auto trans is also going to take a little more familiarization. Sometimes the power didn't get to the wheels as quick as I would have liked. As I learn to allow for that it won't be a problem. I have ridden autos from other makers before. This just seems to be par for the course for autos. But they sure have their pluses too!

The engine braking was another feature that I will have to get used to. When going down some steep hills I loved it. When cruising on level ground I don't like it as much. It really kicks in if you let off too much.

No real complaints, just some things to get used to.

I have ridden a number of Util machines in the past. I won't name any names to avoid hurting any feelings but the Outlander is the absolute best that I have ridden and I have no regrets in buying it. It satisfies everything I wanted in buying a util and more of my sport quad side than I thought possible.