CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Noise (dB) levels

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise (dB) levels

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
Quadbart,
If SL let you in at 99db,than THEY are in violation of STATE STATUE that clearly indicates 94db.

Now closed circuit racing in Michigan is a differant story.Im against any restrictions on sound for these types of racing events.

When we are riding in the woods,we need to maintain a quite atmosphere.I think 94 db is to low.I'd promote 96db though.

Muddy, My only point there is that even the park rangers realize that the 94db law is too restrictive.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yah,
that may be so, however, try and go onto the public trail system in Michigan and the DNR would bust your butt in a second at anything that even sounds like its over 94db.

Im with yah, 94 is just too low for public trails.

Whats funny here is how often are you sitting down on a quite Sunday morning,reading the daily newspaper,and all a sudden, you can hear a pack of Harleys coming thru your town from miles away? Never a word said about how loud these guys are.

Old 12-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

They keep falling back to the trouble you guys are having out in California
The testing methods from this: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/...1287_199807.pdf
are used.

96db limit
1.5 tolerance = 94.5 - 97.5 considering a;

Type 1 digital meter w/ winscreen, wind speed under 20mph, calibrated, using the correct 20" 'string' at 45% angle parralel to the exhuast output, no reflective surface within 16', no loose ground cover higher than 6", correct rpm, method is used.

Anybody have a potato I can borrow to shove up my tailpipe? 96 is too low. That is lower than a factory Cannondale. Those guys are really panicing.
What is really bad is the 2 wheelers in our club decided this rule needed to be implemented from what they were reading and hearing from things that were happening around the country. Being responsible motorcyclists, they figured AMA standards were good enough for us. However, feel that any motorcycle before 1988 shall be exempt.
It is turning into a real hornets nest.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted byquadbart

Amd, I see your from Missouri.
Your federal forest riding areas only require a "working muffler", BUT your state parks have a 94db rule. They just dont enforce it. Check the rules for ST. Joes.
I'm afraid this is one of those deals where while we may not be regulated now but if we don't watch ourselves we are going to get ourselves regulated and not just on public land.

If you make yourself visible and in the case of noise to the the non-atv rider - obnoxious- you will get yourself regulated with very restrictive laws. It won't just be on public trails either it will be on your own private riding area. That will be done trough zoning and other means. Unfortunately unless you are in a competition setting or a very long way away from anyone who might be annoyed the best service you can do for our sport is to keep everything as quiet as possible even if that means choking power a bit in the name of silence. We can ride around noisy as hell now and not ride tomorrow or we can ride quiet today and ride quiet tomorrow. Take your pick. If we police ourselves now we have a sport now we have a future. If not we get policed out of existence.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

UPDATE
The club is letting anyone under 100dB, slide. So I am in there.
They are making an effort to curb the noise before someone complains.
Somebody will probably complain about something soon, though. I've never seen more gated communities/golf courses than down here in FL. If you are having fun in Floriduh you are pis sing somebody off.
I am going racing this weekend in Palatka, FL It's about 3-1/2 hrs away and it's supposed to be really, really cold. Like in the 30's and 40's. Right now I am 7th overall in points out of 22.
Brian