CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Noise (dB) levels

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise (dB) levels

My club that I race in has enacted a 96 dB level.
We race 2 days out of a year per event and the leaders think we should do something before something is done to us. 96 seems too low for a racing event. Maybe for a recreational area, but not at a race. Most of them are AMA sanctioned, too.
Just wondering how you guys get along with noise issues in your state/area?
96dB is just about stock. 99 dB's is twice as loud as 96dB.
We are going to have major problems maintaining a club if this sticks. Some have switched back to stock and if the packing isn't just right : too loud, no race.

Old 12-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

My club that I race in has enacted a 96 dB level.
At how many feet?
Our race track (car) has 90 DB at 100'. 90 DB is pretty loud and easy for us to make with a very small, non restrictive muff. (if you can call it that)
We run a 13 to 1 motor and twist it to 10k. When you squeeze the air that much it gives off a good pop and is hard to control DB. Even at that, it is eazy to make DB at 100'.
I have never gunned my stock exhaust V at 100' but it is no where near 90DB.

Old 12-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds just a tad too restrictive for racing applications.
I too, think that sound levels are something that hurts our sport.
The state parks around us even understand that their 96db rule is a bit restrictive for even recreational riders.
Silver Lake in Michigan has let me in as high as 99 dbs.
I thought the AMA was adopting a 101 db rule. That sounds about right for racing to me.

Old 12-25-2005, 03:21 PM
amd
Pro Rider

No restrictions anywhere I ride. I would agree that 96 db is a little low for racing events.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

Personally I would say for racing at an actual zoned track facility 100dB would be about right. This HAS to take into account neighbors though. If your facility is 200 yards from a subdivision that 100dB isn't going to work. If you're a couple of miles from a dwelling or recreation area then that 100dB should be fine.

On trails and in other areas the quieter the better. Noise will close riding areas about as fast as anything except trespassing and damage to property. Nothing annoys the general public more about ATVs and motorcycles than noise. Quiet it down as much as possibe. If you lose few HP so be it. It beats losing a trail system or riding area because the neighboring landowners didn't want to hear your ATV's oh so cool exhaust note. You simply can't be too quiet.

I think in most cases you'll find that what closes the trails and riding areas isn't pressure from tree huggers. It is our own doing.
1. We ride machines that are too loud.
2. We don't respect private property. (see 1.)
3. Trespassing on neighboring property
4. Going off designated trails and tearing up sensitive hillsides with hill climbing etc.
5. Litter and trash dumping. (see 2.)

I've seen a huge riding area closed and it wasn't from tree huggers. ATV riders closed it. Actually a small group of riders closed it and wrecked it for everyone else. Their loud pipes played a big part in it.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Quadbart,
If SL let you in at 99db,than THEY are in violation of STATE STATUE that clearly indicates 94db.

Now closed circuit racing in Michigan is a differant story.Im against any restrictions on sound for these types of racing events.

When we are riding in the woods,we need to maintain a quite atmosphere.I think 94 db is to low.I'd promote 96db though.

Old 12-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have been stopped and sound checked several times with my LTE Exhaust on my older DS. I run the quiet cores in it and it was consistently at 95 dcb.

All of the Decibal tests are at about 3' from your quad. My new Topgun pipe on my '05 DS is just as loud as my Yosh was when you stand right next to it, but you get even 30' away and it is waaaay quieter than the Yosh. It is because the 12 disc system disperses the sound so well. At 100' it is quieter than my wifes stock Raptor 700r both at WOT. Maybe the guys that want to implement this sound ordinence need to do a little testing and think outside the box a bit. I would think if there was a chance to muffle the overall noise of the race as far as the surroundings are concerned, it wouldn't matter so much if the bikes were loud at 3' from the pipe. BTW my Topgun is right at 98 dcb.

Just a thought,

Ron

Old 12-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

All of the Decibal tests are at about 3' from your quad.
Holy Sheet, 3 feet??!!! Wow. No wonder there is problems making DB.
DSNUT how is that measured? At a 90 degree angle or 180?
I'm making a tri stage header with a muff of my own design for my V. I might have to go back to the drawing board now.
I have access to some sophisticated sound measuring equipment but I need to know how they do the test.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well the ociphers that I have encountered hold there little decibal meter right behind my quad about 2 - 4 feet away. Maybe one of those enforcers are a forum member and could speak to us on this issue. It seems to me that as the sound waves leave the pipe, the more fragmented they would get the further away you got. It makes me wonder how objective their sound checks could be if the decibal levels varied based on the ocipher's consistency in conducting the check and the elements changing, specifically wind speed and direction........ but that is a question for a different thread......

Old 12-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: amd
No restrictions anywhere I ride. I would agree that 96 db is a little low for racing events.
Amd, I see your from Missouri.
Your federal forest riding areas only require a "working muffler", BUT your state parks have a 94db rule. They just dont enforce it. Check the rules for ST. Joes.

Quick Reply: Noise (dB) levels