CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

msd good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd good or bad

Hi guys. I did a search on these but seen little confirmed imput. I am looking for some real r+d on these to determine if I want to go this route for a upgraded cdi. Any and all info will be great. Thanks, RUSS

Old 12-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default msd good or bad

I am running MSD. It is heavy and expensive and cumbersome the way they tell you to install it. It does not provide spark until the 4th engine revolution when you are trying to start it so if you are used to a DS that pops on the first or second turn, plan on beig a little patient. Also I have heard if you have an X or a baja that the stock tach isn't accurate with this ignition. Gary at TVI told me that but he has told me a lot of stuff so check it out.

That is the bad stuff. It does have some nice features though. It has accessory ports for a shift light and a holeshot revlimit switch. It does not advance timing above stock until 1500 rpm. This is designed to prolong the life of your sprag clutch. Procom and Ron Wood cdi's give a full 7 degrees advance from 0 rpm up. So when you have a false start the motor kicks back much harder due to the increased advance. Unless you stall the motor a lot, the majority of engine kick backs will occur at startup. MSD has solved that. DS's idle fast enough that it should'nt compromise performance. When running you are always above 1500 rpm. It has an adjustable timing curve and an adjustable rev limiter. It also has a 2 degree optional timing retard at the top of the rpm scale for turbo bikes or if you are running on the ragged edge of the octane requirements.

I have not found that its hotter spark from the special coil has any advantage on performance. I don't think the same bike would be faster with MSD than a Procom box. It is just better for your bike than a procom.

The way they instruct you to mount the brain is ridiculous. They give you this aluminum plate to mount in the rear grab bar, then you have to remove the brain to access the adjustments. I mounted mine to the bottom of my airbox and cut a small rectangular hole in the bottom so the adjustable switches are accessable by the removal of the filter. The system is virtually invisable this way and it takes 2 seconds to access the adjustments instead of 10 minutes.

I have had no problems with it but if I had to do it all over again I would probably go with a Vortex that is lighter and cheaper with even more adjustable options.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default msd good or bad

I just put a Vortex on my 03 I like it. As I make motor mods I am able to make ajustments.