CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Bike Already Broken In?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike Already Broken In?

Hello all,

This is the first time I've been on this forum, as I thought I would come over to where the Bombardier experience is with my questions.

I was riding up in the hills last week on snow packed trails on a BF750 loaner and ran across a guy on an '06 Bomb 800 xt 2-up. We switched rides, and I was very impressed with its smooth power, trail handling and smooth ride.

I have 3 questions: Break-in question, price question and model question as follows:

I looked at a new '06 bomb xt yesterday and rode it some. No power at all, dealer says it just needs new plugs.

Here is my first question: The bike has 1.8 miles and 26 hours on it! I asked about it, and they said that was from bringing it around front every morning, back in every night, where it sat and idled to warm up. Therefore, it has a lot of hours for a new bike, all at idle.

I think the bike is broken in by now? Any adverse effects by idling it day after day for the first 26 hours of its life? (I usually break in a bike the same way I will be riding it after break-in, so I have the yips a little bit about all this break-in idling)

Second question: They want 8800 + tax. Is that a decent price for an '06 demonstrator?

Third question: No offense to first model year '06 owners, but should I wait for an '07 to come along due to gage problem, cold starting problem, map problem on the 06's that I have heard from Bomb/Kawi service manager?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I want the best trail riding bike I can get, and I thought I had it in my P700, but after riding the 800xt, I've had second thoughts.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

1. I bought my DS in 2004 and it was a 2002 model. It had been on the dealer lot for almost 2 years. It was a similar situation, where the dealer had run it at low rpm moving around for display. When I picked it up they told me there was no need to break it in. When I left the dealership I headed straight to the dunes and ran it hard straight out the gates. Knock on wood... but after more than 200 hours not one problem. IMO this low RPM breakin is the best way to go. From what I have read breakin is really just to make sure the rings seat properly... I'm sure I will be corrected if this is not right... but the idea is to let the rings work their way into perfect fit. If you run it too hard too early then there is a chance for the cylinder walls to be damaged by the new rings.

2. I have no idea on a good price but good luck...

3. I do not like first year models. There are always improvements that can and will be made to new machines. It happens to all machines and all manufacturers. Now the fact that it is a Bomb would give me a little more piece of mind, but if it were me dropping 8500+ on a first year machine I would at least make sure I had the extended warranty.

Good Luck!

Old 12-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I think the bike is broken in by now? Any adverse effects by idling it day after day for the first 26 hours of its life? (I usually break in a bike the same way I will be riding it after break-in, so I have the yips a little bit about all this break-in idling)
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

FYI.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

i bet that it isnt from idling its probably from sum1 leaving the key on because thats a lot of idling time and just pulling in and out ... 8800 is list and freight ... as for break in i had it prove to me that there is a chip on them that burns out after 250 miles a friend of my dad bought a 2-seater 800 and he had me come over to ride it and tell him if i thought there was a difference after it changed over and before i couldnt get it to wheelie "note this is an xt 2 seater" and after it wheelied like crazy so that might help you out a little

matt

Old 12-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

thought there was a difference after it changed over and before i couldnt get it to wheelie "note this is an xt 2 seater" and after it wheelied like crazy so that might help you out a little

>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;

They probably do this so some fool doesn't try to do wheelies in the parking lot and flipping it back over on himself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]) lol

Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

This is pretty stupid but i was told to break it in the way i plan to ride it. I have not had any problems yet. I dont know if it realy makes a difference

Old 12-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2BIG2BFAST
This is pretty stupid but i was told to break it in the way i plan to ride it. I have not had any problems yet. I dont know if it realy makes a difference
Well thats exactly the way that I broke mine in. I drove straight to a buddies house, unloaded the bike and lined up with a brand new raptor and a brand new banshee.....needlesstosay, they lost. I have been riding it very hard ever since. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Well thats exactly the way that I broke mine in. I drove straight to a buddies house, unloaded the bike and lined up with a brand new raptor and a brand new banshee.....needlesstosay, they lost. I have been riding it very hard ever since. >>>>>>>>

There seems to be a few different opinions on "breaking in" an engine. Did you know that the final test at the factory is to fill the engines up with oil and red line them?

I know a guy who used to drag race, they never broke in an engine after a rebuild.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

CaRider67.....No, I did not know about red-lining at the factory.

Thanks to all replies from this bombardier forum. I will be among you with a different name before long.