CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Piston Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Install

I will be tearing into the DS tomorrow. I have a 11.5 to 1 JE piston to install. I also have new beefy valve springs (future cams ready) and new valve seals. I have all the gaskets. I have looked around for posts about this but really cant seem to find much. Are there any links to websites with pictures for reference? I like to have too much info to sort through.....

Old 12-31-2005, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

just take your time and make sure the rings on the piston are staggerd away from one another. all that holds the piston in is 2 litttle round clips. good lucccck

Old 12-31-2005, 03:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

I found this on the F650 site.....it has pics too. Link

Old 12-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
THEBOM Racing. If it don't scare you a little, it's not going fast enough !!!
Default Piston Install

Be sure to check the ring gap. If it's to close they will but together.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

Questions: Do I need to have the cylinder deglazed? I think I will just because I dont want to risk it. Its an 04 with average ride time. On the rings....I guess I just use a small file to make the correct gap.?

Old 12-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Piston Install

If you are using a stock bore piston you will need to use a hone. It doesn't matter if you use a deglazing hone or a stone hone. You need to hone the cylinder so the piston rings can seat properly. You use the hone to make a 50 to 60 degree cross hatch pattern. That pattern will act like a file and will wear the rings down so they fit the bore perfectlly. This process is very important because if you don't do it right you will have compression loss and the engine will end up burning oil.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

Yeah very familliar with V8's have built in the past, planned on taking the jug to a machine shop and have them do that. I guess I could just take the rings along.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

The teardown was a bit**. You have to grind the head bolt boss on the head and some from the frame to remove the head. You have to cut most of the harness zip ties off the frame to move wires out of the way. Remove the starter. There are bolts upside down along the outside bottom of the head, and exterior head bolts as well as interitor head bolts. Then the 4 main stud nuts. The exhaust nuts turn into bolts from the heat of time. So the exhaust bolts were a HUGE pain. I did soak them with WD40 first but no help at all. This job is alot of work for someone who has never tore into a DS. But like anything, next time it will take less than half the time this one will.

I took my jug to my local machine shop. I told him to run a ball hone through it for me. He laughed and said a ball hone won't phase the Nikasil. But he had another hone that would $20. Just wanted to post that for everyone.

I pulled out my old porting carbide bits and did some cleaning in the head. There were some nasty areas in there.

It will go back together today with my 11.5 piston.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Piston Install

I don't remember having to remove the starter, some grind to remove the head, I just took out some of the motor mounts and tilted it. You are right the 1st time you take the head off presents a few challanges, thank goodness for this site [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Piston Install

Its funny that you said you pulled the engine mount bolts to tilt the engine.....cuz I was going that way, but. The 3 that I did pull were so tight all the way off that I nearly broke them! I know that sounds very strange. I had a huge breaker bar on one side and a 1/2 drive on the other side. With every tug was a loud crack snap, but they didnt snap off. After I got those out I stopped with that idea. It did tilt a hair with those out so it did help.

The starter was right next to the jug so I removed it to clear the area I guess...its only 2 small bolts anyway.

This site has saved me alot of money and time. Thats why I paid up recently to become a supporting member.

Quick Reply: Piston Install