CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rotating mass

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotating mass

OK so going to a 520 pitch chain and alum sprockets, lighten the hubs, and get the Alum brake hub, other than an axle, what will I notice for all that???

Old 01-01-2006, 08:49 PM
eRo
Range Rover
Default Rotating mass

your ds will rev faster

Old 01-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rotating mass

As we discussed in the torque thread less of your torque will be used up to turn your drivetrain leaving more of it available to create horsepower.

The man said it would make your DS rev faster. That is why. Get rid of that axle to. Those things are real power thieves.

Ron

Old 01-02-2006, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rotating mass

Originally posted by: DSNUT
As we discussed in the torque thread less of your torque will be used up to turn your drivetrain leaving more of it available to create horsepower.
The horsepower would be the same as before, but there would be more horsepower delivered to the rear wheels (instead of using the power to rotate more mass).

Old 01-02-2006, 05:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rotating mass

You sound like you are correcting me but if you alter your incorrect assumption that I was referring to crank hp and insert the correct assumption that I was referring to rwhp I think you will find we are on the same page. I was referring to rwhp because crank hp is irrelevant when discussing the relative nature of reducing rotating mass unless you are talking about lighter flywheels, pistons and crankshafts. If you have less rotating mass past the crank you have more torque (the force at which combustion turns the crank) available at the rear wheels. With the torque curve measured at the rear wheels now posting higher numbers across the board, so will the horsepower curve at any given rpm.

Ron

Old 01-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rotating mass

Your gonna free up a few pounds of rotating mass which will feel like the bike gets up to speed faster. Exactly how fast...I could tell ya...I went to the whole drag axle assembly at one time. I know mine made a solid 2hp on the dyno. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rotating mass

since you have the old model ds wheel hubs, you can easily shed at least 2-1/4 pounds from them. and you have the old model steel sprocket hub, and switching to the aluminum one will drop another 3 pounds easy. your brake hub is already alum, you probably meant to say sprocket hub. switching your 530 rear sprocket to an aluminum will drop another pound, without even changing to 520 chain. but change to 520 and drop even a little bit more.

look at my pics in my ds gallery in my signature link and you will see some pics of hubs and measurements for ideas, print it and give it to your machine shop - any local shop can turn the hubs for cheap. or you can buy the high dollar ones ready made which go even further and shed even more weight, and you can even get them to fit honda bolt patterns so you can run smaller rims for even more weight savings.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rotating mass

Originally posted by: DSNUT
You sound like you are correcting me but if you alter your incorrect assumption that I was referring to crank hp and insert the correct assumption that I was referring to rwhp I think you will find we are on the same page. I was referring to rwhp because crank hp is irrelevant when discussing the relative nature of reducing rotating mass unless you are talking about lighter flywheels, pistons and crankshafts. If you have less rotating mass past the crank you have more torque (the force at which combustion turns the crank) available at the rear wheels. With the torque curve measured at the rear wheels now posting higher numbers across the board, so will the horsepower curve at any given rpm.

Ron
It sounds as though we are both on the same page. What alerted me were the words "create horsepower", without any reference to rwhp. Originally, it was meant as a correction, but after your next post, it should be taken as a clarification. I respect your thoughts, and I am here to discuss, and not to argue . Bottom line, I'm glad to see that we are both in agreement on this subject.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rotating mass

Thankyou. I have always told people that I only care about being right.......... Even if I have to discard my view and adopt theirs at the end of the debate to do it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Ron

Old 01-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rotating mass

OPD is coming out with a jj&a axle kit that is supposed to be over 20lb's lighter in rotating mass. What do you suppose that going to show on the dyno. To me that sounds huge, throw in blue lable yamaha 9' wheels and a set of 25' tripple buffs for good measure. Any ideas? My understanding is that every 10lbs equals 1 hp. But does that hold true when it comes to the rotating mass or do you get a kind of double whammy. 20lbs overall off the bike and 20lb off rotating mass. Come on theres a math whiz in here somewhere.

Quick Reply: Rotating mass