CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

battery tender?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery tender?

what one do i need for a ds ----jr? 12 volt?

i am not sure which volts i need? and if a junior will do the trick

Old 01-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Range Rover
Default battery tender?

I got a battery tender Jr. a few years back at the Lake George Americade and it works great. If you are going to store anything with a battery for a long peroid of time it is a must. I have had a battery for the past three years in different machines(two quads,a lawn mower etc) and it keeps it charged and ready to use at all times. If you don't store a battery more than say a month, then you may not need to put one on. One thing you have to remember is the tender only charges the battery up to full charge and then keeps it there. A regular charger will keep charging and boil off all the water in the battery until it is dry and destroyed. They are well worth the price. The Jr. is the same as the deluxe model just not as many features.

Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default battery tender?

do i need 12 volt or something different for the ds?

Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default battery tender?

Yes, DS is a 12 volt system.
The tender JR should work fine.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default battery tender?

THANKS

Old 01-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Range Rover
Default battery tender?

If you'd like an excellent primer on batteries search "deep cycle batteries" on Google. In addition to deep cycle batteries, there is loads of information on full float and maintance free batteries.

I kept a maintance free battery alive and in working condition for 16 years using a Battery Tender (1.25amps). During the 17th year the battery was allowed to go into deep discharge and died. When the battery was replaced from a Battery Plus store (excellent place to get ANY battery BTW), I talked at length with the very knowledgeable owner. He showed me his back room. They kept ALL their batteries topped off with ONE Battery Tender Junior (.750 amp) wired in parallel!!

I have a car I bought new in '86. It only has 15K miles and although it gets driven a little every week, as soon as it goes in the garage the Tender Junior is plugged in. I don't have one for my quads, only because the power at the ranch is shut off for six months of the year.

The battery must be in good condition to begin with, or the tender will charge at its maximum rate (1.25 or .75 amp) forever. This can cause the tender's life to be shortened. You'll know if this is true because the tender's operating light will continue to stay on its red, "charging mode," never switching to green, its "idle" mode. These units are made to keep a good battery at full charge, not to act as a charger in the conventional sense.

A junior ($30) will work fine for you. Use whichever type fits your battery; 12 volt or 6 volt. Use the enlosed pigtail so you can plug it in at the end of your ride. If my experience is typical, battery life will be dramatically extended.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default battery tender?

I have the same battery you do. Yes the battery is 12 volts but you are to charge it with a charger that puts out 6 to 8 amps. Also the 545 Odyssey battery is a AGM battery and should be charged by the right charger. You will definitely have to get your battery charged up and test to see if you are charging and most important that when you rev the motor your volt meter does not over charge the battery. If you do a search on battery you should be able to find the numbers you need to test and see if you battery is getting a charge and if the rectifier is doing its job. If the rectifier is bad I'm sure Procom will exchange it for just the shipping cost. But in the future I would stay away from Procom.

I purchased a battery charger from:

http://www.donrowe.com/battery_charg...ychargers.html

It works great and you can leave it on the battery as it monitors it and keeps it charged using 8 amps and it even has a digital display. For $89.95 you cant go wrong. Its made for all batteries and does AGM which is what the Odyssey batteries are.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default battery tender?

what is an agm battery

can i use a 12 volt battery tender jr on the sun 545.. i see them on ebay for 22 bucks

Old 01-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Range Rover
Default battery tender?

AGM is a gas mat battery. Like I said in my previous post, do the google search. AGM is a true maintainance free battery, You'll pay more for one, but they will give you great service and the water doesn't need to be checked. AGM batteries are normally deep cycle and as long as you buy an AGM battery with enough cranking amps to meet your requirements, it's not necessary to buy a lessor battery for starter applications.

One thing about an AGM or any deep cycle battery. They will not tolerate being discharged for long periods of time - like being in storage w/out a charger/tender over winter. They cannot recover. AGMs are measured in DOD (depth of discharge) cycles. Optima, the most popular deep cycle battery, is rated at 400 cycles to a standard 50% DOD. There are others, more expensive, rated at 1000 cycles to 50% DOD and therefore are lower in cost per cycle than the more popular Optima. Optima also has a higher internal resistance than some others gas mat batteries. What does that mean? It means if you slap a high amp charger on one you will cause bubbles to form between the glass mats. They will not go away and once the bubble goes all the way around the cell, you'll have a short and the battery is toast.

An AGM battery, for longest life, must be topped off by charging (driving is okay) constantly. A tender works VERY well with an AGM because the best way to charge these batteries is a slow, 8 hour charge. There are specific chargers made to charge an AGM or other deep cycle battery over a long period. Eight hours is the standard and is frequently mentioned by folks in the know about these types of batteries.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default battery tender?

I used a 12 volt battery tender charger to charge my 545 battery and I still ended up with the Quad not starting. I thought I had a bad battery so I sent it in and got it tested. They sent it back to me and said it was good. They told me I need a battery charger that was correct for charging AGM batteries. So that when I purchased the xantrex charger. Since I have been using that charger I have not have any problems. The xantrx charger charges the AGM batteries with this method:

Three-stage Charging
Multistage charging ensures batteries receive optimum charging, but with minimal wear and tear, regulating the voltage and current delivered to the batteries in three automatic stages:

Bulk:
Replaces 70-80% of the battery's state of charge at the fastest possible rate.

Absorption:
Replenishes the remaining 20-30% of charge, bringing the battery to a full charge at a slow, safe rate.

Float:
Voltage is reduced and held constant in order to prevent damage and keep batteries at a full charge.

Here is a link to explain it all to you.
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...at%20Batteries

Quick Reply: battery tender?