CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Boss Noss?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boss Noss?

I did find it here pretty reasonable
Boss Noss

Old 01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boss Noss?

Whats the advantage of running off a separate power source (AA batteries)? I could see on something like a Banshee that has no battery, but thats not a problem for us. Eventually those AA's are going to die and you better hope its not during the big race[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Part of the problem with other systems is that certain components, are sensitive to voltage and current fluctuations. I know that Boon has struggled with this. I dont know for sure, but I would bet that the batteries are Boss's answer to some of those problems. Since everything has to be balanced (Nitorus and fuel), its probably a good idea to have an idependant source of power. My understanding is that the simple double A batteries last a very long time, at least two seasons. So, if you replace them once a year, you're good to go. I think its probably solves more problems then it creates.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boss Noss?

Marky, I know your pissy about boonys, but come on. I have NEVER had any problems with heat in my bottle, quite the contrary, cant keep it warm enough. I know you did with your black bottle, but hey it was black in the middle of the summer.

Two seasons on batteries? Talk to people that run it.

Most people theorise that nitrous injected before the carb is considered Dry. Aft of the carb Wet. Boss still has a fuel pump, since atvs dont have one, and batteries. Now if you have all the same components of a full "WET" system, why not get a full "WET" system? Can anyone say Fuel pump failure. And the fuel pump works in cycles, dont hold it down to long. Its the same issues you will have with other systems. Now there are other parts that can make it so if your fuel pump craps out, it shuts down the system. How many parts do you want to install?

Old 01-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Jed,

The reason why you havent had that problem is because you have a large bottle (2.5lb) and a refill them often with your refill station. Plus, you keep your spare bottles cool - you keep them in the freezer right? As I mentioned before, smaller bottles have more of a problem, I believe I also mentioned work arounds for that issue as well. I think if you were to ask around, you'd find folks in high heat areas how they like thier Boondockers system. This is nothing new to Boondocker, just pick up phone and call Kyle at boondocker and ask at what temperature the nitrous vaprizes and what the consequences are on thier system. Dont bother, let me tell you, the nitrous vaporizes, becomes thin, overpresurizes the manifold and sends too much air to the carb bowl and makes the system so rich it dies. Do you remember what happened when you rode my EX up the hill with its black 20oz bottle? Do you remember what happened to Sand45's predator equiped with a 20oz bottle? Did you know that BOSS does not even offer a 20oz bottle?

You should know me by now Jed, I hold a grudge for about 30 seconds. Boondockers has done wonders for sled industry. They stuck it out helped to make nitrous an acceptable form of power in that market. The very same thing CAN happen to the ATV industry, its simply hasnt yet. While Boondocker is concentrating their time on Turbo systems for sleds instead of a good control box for ATVs like the 700R, The Suzuki 450, and the Bombardier 800 Outlander, Boss is now on thier 3rd generation EFI controller for ATVs.

Im all about investing time, money, and moving expenses into any company that invests it back into the industry of my choice. Everyone else has that right too, just as you do Jed. Choice can be a good thing. I realize that you turned me on to Boondockers. And Im sure you feel a certain amount of investment in me has been lost. Jed, all I can say is what I have already said, Boondocker simply does not have the motivation to concentrate on the ATV side, and I suspect that they will be developing new turbo systems for sleds (besides the Apex and RX1) with thier "investors". The problem with that is, there are 8 ATVs sold to every 1 sled (what are we... chopped liver???). I still want to influence the ATV market in my own way. As long as there are companies willing to invest in improving on thier nitrous systems, then I am willing to invest in them.

This thread was created to bring out the advantages and disadvantages of the BOSS system. If you think there are serious issues with running it on some AA batteries, ask me again in two weeks, maybe I'll have the opportunity to address that directly for you, that is, if you really want to make something better. Just try asking Boonies to improve thier ATV system and see what happens.

PS: Dont worry, I'll still ride sleds & ATV with you man. Just had my first sled ride at Island Park with some friends on some Polaris 600s. I had a blast. - I only got stuck once!

BTW: If you are concerned about failure, have you found out what the different warranties are for these companies?

Old 01-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Now this is the kind of feed back I am looking for. I have been thinking of putting my DS on the bottle every since I watched Jeds perforance on the hill at DS days. But before I plunk down 700 bones I like hearing the ups and downs of both systems. This thread been very informitive. Thanks guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Very good points Marky. I also believe what your saying about reinvesting in the market. I also believe in investing in the future of my friends. Most of the people that are on this forum I consider my friends. That is why I tell them what system i like. Now by the sounds of it my man, some congradulations are in order, or is it just simply your buying a noss setup?

Old 01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Oh and congrats on your first real ride. How you enjoyed it lots. Now you need to drive down here and let me take you on some real machines, the kind that will leave you smiling fo days, wanting, wishing, and hoping you get another chance at riding them, lol!

Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

Teebone,

Thats all anybody can ask. Jed is very good at tuning his nitrous. However, minor pinging cant even be heard or felt. This is one of the reasons why I mentioned the Air/Fuel gauge in previous posts. If you get the Boondocker system, they sell the Innovate Motorsports gauge for those that run the most out of thier system. If you dont go to the max, then you'll at least need to use the boondocker Man-o-meter to tune. However, that manometer wont account for nitrous vaporization. When I ran the manometer at Sand Mountain, I was clear over 5 water column inches at about 100 degrees. However, at 60 degrees, I was 2.5 water column inches. It was so hot, and the fact that my 20oz bottle was black, and exposed to the sun, even a new full bottle was over pressure and I couldn't tune it down without redrilling out the orafice cap to vent off more nitrous. So I just decided not to run it at all. The BOSS system is not only balanced (fuel and nitrous) its regulated, so that the nitrous is kept under control. There are disadvantages to the BOSS system, its smart box is self contained, and all in one box. The Boondocker components, such as solinoid and other componts are placed at various points on your quad. It might be easier to hide the individual components, rather than the BOSS smart box.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss Noss?

If the biggest problem is hiding the box, then oh darn.... lol

Marky, Boons system had issues when it is really hot, and all I can find in my research of Boss is that they have no problems with cold. How will thier regulation help in the heat? I think I am sold on that system myself. Of course I would still think you would need to make sure your jetting is right on or you could still have issues, is that correct?

Quick Reply: Boss Noss?