CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tranny not holding 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny not holding 1st gear

During the race I had on Saturday (I am a woods racer;not a drag racer) my machine popped out of 1st gear and went into neutral. I pulled the cluth in and pushed down on the gear shifter. The neutral light went off and I thought it was back in first. NOPE. It popped back out and back into N. I tried a couple of more times with same results. I then switched to 2nd and ran like that while I could.
When I am racing my brain turns to mush and all I can think of is being the first one to cross the finish line. So I continued in 2nd until I really needed 1st again and it went in and stayed in. I had to shift to 2nd again and then back to 1st. It popped out again and again, ut after using 2nd again for a little bit, it would go back into 1st. Then the race was over.(8th/21) I went back to my pit and tried to get it to do it again, but nothing doing.
I am next to broke and I work to support my fun. I am thinking that if I continue to race with this known problem, I will be kicking myself in the **** for not fixing a little problem that causes a big problem. I can think of a few things that would be ugly.
From what I found rooting around in here, splitting the cases is the only thing to do. After that, I wouldn't know what to look for as far as damage or wear that could lead to this happening.
My next race is Jan. 21st.
I have done everything else to my quad as far as repair and maintenance (except that one time I took it to the dealer and they charged me $85 to pull the float bowl off to remove a little buger)
I want to do the work myself and figure I'd be better off buying the tools needed to do the job as opposed to labor fees and someone else doing the work.
Is this something you guys can help me with over this computer? I have the manual, but it is a little vauge.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

I know this isn't the answer, but if you changed to a 14 tooth front sprocket, you would probably never need first gear. Start in second and leave it for the woods.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

sounds like its most likely a bent shift fork and you won't really know until you split the cases mine did the same thing but it wasn't holding 2nd

Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

go here http://www.ds650.flatlandersatv.com/ and click on the link for DS transmission repair.

good luck!

Old 01-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Definately a bent shifting fork.

You will need to pull the motor,and split the cases. If your not mechanically inclined I would suggest shipping to someone here that has doen it before,and pay them for thier time.

Bigger.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

Nice! I got a new computer and lost all my favorites. I totally forgot about that site. It is different from what I remember, but awesome! I remember seeing it last year thinking "I will never have to do that." Well here I am. The mechanic at my dealer told me if I didn't use the clutch when I dowshifted, it would lead to bent shifting fork(s).
I am kind of excited. I want to do it myself. I may turn my dining room into a temporary workshop. I can do this after work for sure.
Some tools I am going to have to buy are a TDC bolt, magneto puller, clutch hub holder, and an impact gun. I am also guessing my Stanley sockets aren't going to cut it.
I need to get a new torque wrench, too.
I am going to also find out how much someone might charge for this job. Just in case I chicken out once I get the engine out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck brother, Do you have a manual, if not ill send you one tommorrow. LEt me know.

Later,
John Boyd

Old 01-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats the spirit! you will have no problems and you will learn more about your engine to boot, which is always a good thing. I was sure glad I did mine myself, ALSO their is a place in Florida that I send my tranny gears to to have them "back-cut" and "Cryo-treated" The place was called MRE if i'm not mistaken,and they do great work, and specialize in making tranny's much stronger than stock. By back-cutting your "dogs" on your gears the gears will pull together while accelerating and not try to pull apart, which is generally what bends the shifting forks in the first place. Definatley get your tranny gears back-cut, so you will never have to work on the tranny again! also cryo-treatig the gears will make them extra strong! and they will last forever. But at mininum get the gears back-cut[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Bigger.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:38 AM
Range Rover

I know you have a different bike than mine, but I had similar problem. I had to pay to get it done (split the case). Cost me $700. 7 of the 10 gears where bad (yes 10 gears on a 5 speed, 2 per gear. that was news to me) and a bend shifter fork. He showed me the gears afterwards and they where munched up and the fork bent. Gears can be from $50 per gear to $80 per gear.
That is a very expensive thing to go wrong unfortunately.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Man! I figured out what my problem is........................ I need more money.
I just got off the phone with my dealer. I told him of my issue and started rambling off part #'s for him to give me prices. Halfway through he said "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait a minute. Are you going to try and do this yourself?" I said heck yes. He laughed and reminded me of the time I came in because of the carb. I told him I took that as a serious lesson and have had that carb apart 40 times since then and reminded him that I did all the work when I totaled it and I replaced the clutch and chain and sprockets and everything else. He told me I could use his tools instead of buying them and if I needed help he would . He also said if I could get it done for $700, parts and labor, "Go for that!"
John Boyd- once again your generosity is much appreciated. I have the manual. I am still using that end cap you sent me. Thank you very much.
Bigger, I am sending you a pm

Quick Reply: tranny not holding 1st gear