CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Piston weights by the gram

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston weights by the gram

now that's a better question.
yes, you are correct, but there's alot of engineering that goes into lightening a piston to keep it from being a piece of crap that goes boom! Otherwise the G6 would have been out 6 months ago. You can't just start chiseling at it in the local machine shop.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

so your telling me that it takes years to lighten pistons? come on. they do it every day. i had my camaro pistons done in 2 days and balanced. give me a break.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am not an expert but that sounds like apples and oranges to me. It is one thing to to take a way overbuilt, stock piston and lighten it some to improve your performance. It is another thing all together to take a piston that is already on the cutting edge and at the current limits of technology and improve it more by going to a local shop that has no history or knowledge as to what has already been done to the piston.

Ron

Old 01-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

what??

Old 01-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
I am not an expert but that sounds like apples and oranges to me. It is one thing to to take a way overbuilt, stock piston and lighten it some to improve your performance. It is another thing all together to take a piston that is already on the cutting edge and at the current limits of technology and improve it more by going to a local shop that has no history or knowledge as to what has already been done to the piston.

Ron

what is that one place called?? OH YA "DUPONT"

Old 01-11-2006, 09:47 PM
H
Pro Rider

At what point does the lite weight become a liability rather than a benefit? How are these pistons "cutting edge" technology?

Old 01-11-2006, 09:49 PM
5X
Trailblazer

One of the most effective ways to lighten pistons is Window Mill option. This entails milling "blank windows" into the inside of the skirts in a manner that will remove a considerable amount of weight from the inside of the pistons without adversely affecting the strength of the skirt. This weight removal process works best on engines which have relatively long skirts.

Inside Head Milling operations consist of milling matrerial from under the dome which is not essential to piston strength. This operation varies greatly depending upon the design of the piston being milled. In most applications, pistons built on Hollow Dome Forgings will not benefit from this operation. $9.02 per piston Pin Boss Milling This operation can remove several grams of aluminum by angle milling material from between the top of the pin hole and the inside of the piston head. This operation is not recommended for endurance applications
Maximum Internal Milling includes all three of the internal milling operations, as well as any other milling cuts which would lighten the pistons without seriously detracting from it's strength. Used in drag racing, sand drags, etc.

222 don't underestimate local machine shops I just use a dremal

Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

I just wanted to beat CHOOSE to it....

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

There, now that it's out of my system, I can comment.

I knew that since my HPR made so little HP on the dyno, that the speed I gained up the hill had to be atributed to my weight savings on the piston.

If anybody wants to know, the 31 grams I saved going from the old RWR 11.5:1 stock bore piston to the HPR BigBore super light weight gave me an additional 4 lengths on the hill. Here is another one CHOOSE... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

and another...

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

H,

I would define "cutting edge" by observing the lightest piston on the market that still retains acceptable reliability.

Ron

Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
H
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
H,

I would define "cutting edge" by observing the lightest piston on the market that still retains acceptable reliability.

Ron
I can live with that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Piston weights by the gram