CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Frustrated....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated....

Hers the deal the ds especialy the 05 is powder coated before it is assembled now the problem is the battery is grounded to the sub frame which is where your problem begins!!! your sudframe must be grounded to the main frame and your mainframe grounded to the engine. which means when they assemble the frame its 9 times out of ten is barely making good ground. Ride the bike a few times and let vibration do its job and whala you loose your good ground if you take the subframe loose and sand off the powder coating off the contact area and remove the front motor mounts and do the same ill put my money on your problem going away and much cheaper than a trip to the shop. where chances of them finding this are slim.

Problem bad ground......
Symtoms backfiring,lossof fire,no charging,weak charging.no start just clicking,blowing regulator/rectifier,blowing CDI,

I have ????????? well im not telling but a few 05' ds's and have lost 3 cdi's to bad grounds i would highly recomend anyone with 05's to do this fix.....i ave seen it in older models too!!! i had one 01 that had the same issue's.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Originally posted by: yjacket2001
Off roading is tough on any vehicle, and most all of you evil knivel every sand dune you see. Advanced electronics was not designed for this stressful of an application. Extra attention should be paid to insulating, securing, and padding electronic boxes. Most of you that race should realize this is well beyond normal intended duty cycles for stock machines. I would think the simplist electronics would be the best, but that may not be good enough for Rotax engine and it is cheaper using new chips.

All it takes is a finger nail flip force to send almost any chip flying. Now compare that to 600 lbs falling from 6' in the air: that's 3600 ft lbs of force and shocks can't absorb all of that energy. Knowing what wires to beef up if any would be good knowledge. New simpler composite electronic mechanisms may be an excellent investement. This is a whole area of off road performance I see little if anything about. No racing machine can go forever, expecially offroad. You need some EE's joining the group, lol. ME's can probably help too: they know almost everything. At least go over a routine maintenance program after each run. It seems like a lot and it is, but look at the accumulated down time when something does happen. I bet its a real bummer konking out in the desert by yourself and your 400 lbs of dead weight in the sand. You may need a ChiroChris atlas adjustment when you've pushed it 20 miles in a stretched-out hunched-over position :-(
yjacket2001

Man I read your post and I just have to respond. Dude, I hope I dont come off too much on you, but I have seen some sleds with a heck of a lot more electronics than you could ever put in a quad take a lot more abuse than you have mentioned. Lets not blame all this on micro electronics, the fact is, you have no idea what it is yet. Tisk Tisk Tisk.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

az, can you please be a little more specific...i know you said it good but how do i find the sub frame and so on....what wire do i follow off the battery and then from there....sorry i am mechanically challenged with electricity..

Old 02-05-2006, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Topper I dont read where you have tried a different battery. Its possible that it has shorted or something internal. You ride and it keeps shorting. Even parked in the garage it could be shorting enough to slow drain. then putting a tender on it....that would make for a bake from a short.

My experience with a dead battery is from it sitting and I just thow on a 10 minute charge to fire it up. I learned that the DS will pop and run like total crap with a very low battery. I had to pull my DS once to get it started ( I DONT RECCOMMEND THIS! ). It gave me hell and it was hell to hang on that bronco ride to the point that I got it to power itself and even then it ran terrible. I was Persistant and kept the RPMs way up and kept it moving in gear for momentum ....little by litte it ran better and better. Almost 2 years now after that on that same battery.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

azsand makes a good point. as i mentioned before oi tore my ds down to have the frame/subframe/swingarm powdeercoated. ihad major ground problems. i mean major.i actually had a alot of posts on here trying to find the culprit. the powdercoat is nice but is a pain if you dont get good grounding. like isaid before that ds is on a reverse circuit and the positive circuit is constant. the ground or the rectifier sounds like the culprit. check the ground as azsand said first though. start simple.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm going to see what the dealer has to say. The place I took it to sells many DS's so I'm hoping that they will know what to look for. I will keep everyone posted on what the out come is. It was running great too..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

I just wanted to bring this to the top for the peeps who only get on the puter during work hours! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

So if we guess it right do we get a prize? Is it a boobie prize?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Ok!!! My dad, brother and I are all having battery and lighting issues. Wondering if it is the ground problem. I am going to check this on ours and see if it fixes are issues.

That was all for me, back to Topper's problems [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Originally posted by: BajaX04
So if we guess it right do we get a prize? Is it a boobie prize?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I guess I can show you my boobies if you win [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Frustrated....