CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Frustrated....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated....

Okay, I know there aren't a lot of the DS650's running around here on this forum but I thought I would throw this out any ways. Wink wink!

2005 Bombardier DS650X HMF slip on pipe, K&N air filter with the outerwear, jetting with a 175 main jet.

Was riding today and it started to cut out like it was running out of fuel. I shut her down and checked my fuel, still had plenty of gas. Hummm, checked the fuel valve, seemed good to go. Checked the plugs (Yes it has two plugs) and they were fine. Hummmm, went to start it and it and click click click??? Seemed like a real low battery? Why? I've been riding for about an hour.... It wouldn't turn over. I checked my connections and they were all good to go. I let it sit for awhile (Getting pissed) tried to start it again and it barlely fired up, but it did. It ran like pure crap! Pop, back fire and smelt like rotten eggs!!! Ewwwwwwwwwww' That told me that the charging system is over charging the battrey. I had to get it back to the truck so I rode it there. It would pop and crack for awhile and then all of a sudden start to run like a bat out of hell. Why? Then it would go back to run like crap. Once I got it to the trailer I left it running for a little bit. Then it started to stink again. I shut her down and could hear a hissing sound. It was the battery boiling so I disconnected it.

My question is; Do you think it's a bad stater? CDI? It's under warrenty but I would like to hear what all you have to say. It's in the shop now....

Frustrated, Top

Old 02-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Dude, you seem to be having never ending issues. I have no idea, what it would be but wish you luck

Old 02-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Nevermind - read the rest of your post ... hmmmmm

Old 02-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Yep..... Frustrating as hell! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 02-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

yea, i feel your pain. i tore down my ds and did a ground up remodel and had tons of electrical problems. alot were my own fault but nonetheless i know where you are at. first off i theink the cdi is fine. i am no electrical engineer but i have had my go around with the ds and electrical stuff. it sounds as if the rectifier is not sensing when the system is fully charged and shutting down as needed. this will cause the stator to run in a extreme overload state. that would cause power loss and sputtering. it would also be sending all that juice to the battery and pushing the battery past its limits and fying it. the ds runs on a reverse circuit meaning that the negative circuit serves as the break in power and the positive is a constant. just the opposite as most electrical configurations. there always seems to problems with this system when everything is not perfect. another thing that could be going on is a grounded wire somewhere that is causing a curent to go where it should not be. check the ground wire on the frame. i hope ya get it figured out. good luck

Old 02-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Thanks for the reply. I did check the ground and it was good. I did have a problem back awhile ago where the battery would be dead. I took it into the dealer thinking he would just give me a new battery. He charged it and told me it was good and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I told him I ran it a few days ago so I knew the battery was fully charged. He told me just to put a battery tender on it and call it good..... I've NEVER had so much problems with a new toy!

Old 02-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

i dont think that the ds is problem prone but there seems to be ones here and there that just dont want to cooperate. anyway i would have a dealer look into the rectifier and even the stator maybe. (if it is still under warrenty) it is their job to make things right ya know. good luck and keep us informed.

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

This time I took it to a dealer that is 65 miles away because it seems they sell a lot more DS's then where I bought mine. I hope their mechanic will be able to figure it out for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

hey topper, myself and a few others are having this same issue, exspecially myself and mrneg....take a look at the my ds let me down again,this sucks...post its all in there...

i have changed batteries..2x regulators.. 2x and still ahving that issue every once in a while

read that post and see what you think also contact mrneg cuase he is spending money on this cause he is not under warranty but you are...maybe you can find the culprit under warranty and save us some wasted cash....

bye the way when mine did that if i turned the headlights on it ran great!

Old 02-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Frustrated....

Quick Reply: Frustrated....