CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

HPR Race Head - Wayyy more than you'd expect

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPR Race Head - Wayyy more than you'd expect

Hope the Superbowl was good for you guys, I can only imagine that it was entertaining. I spent the day doing work on my HPR730. I had planned to take the HPR Trail Head off and put one of their new Full Race Heads on. The day went as planned and I will be the first to tell you that it was one of the most unbelievable motors that I had experienced. Power Did not stop from 2500 all the way to 9000. To be honest, it was the most powerful ATV that I have ridden up to that point. I've ridden many fast quads, but the FULL HPR 730 equipped with the CNC head was something that I did not expect. It screamed and wanted more, but within 20 minutes I was the one screaming. 20minutes of pure joy and exitement.....

Then the wheel fell off the cart. I took a 300ft pass and then Mario took it for a spin. Went straight to dead street with plans of making some good hard passes with lots of shut down area. I went down the street and just before I started to turn around (maybe 5 mph) the motor locked up and sent me into a slide. Well.... the indicators were not good, and after tearing it down that night. the motor is a complete waste. The Head is completely destroyed, the HPR Super feather weight piston is a wasted mass of aluminum. the Cylinder has a whole punched in it and the Crank and Rod have to be replaced. Pretty much a total loss. I do think that the cams and the cam trays were saved along with the timing chain. Not sure if the case is gone, I'll be breaking that down tomorrow.
Upon inspection, the intake valves were the only problem. We now know that it was exactly the problem. You see, the big CNC Race head is something very special and it does not require the bottom spring cups to be put in during assembly. This was the first full race head that had NOT been installed by anyone but Mr. HP. Because of a this small oversite, just about 8K down the drain and I have to start over.

For those of you who are wondering about HPR's service though all of this, I'll try to give you my best and honest account. Let me first say that this is for all intensive purposes a full Race 730. And race motors are not under warranty. I didn't call anyone, email anyone or even PM a single person about this. The very first phone call I got today was from Mr. HP. In fact he's called me about 4 times today. He heard throught the grape vine that the motor went south. He's offered up his Genisis Motor crank/rod assembly for free. They've asked me to send the jug, the head and the crank back. They believe it can be fixed, but I know that there are no "for sures" in this business. Randall has been on email all day with me even though he's off today, and has been nothing short of supportive.

I'm not sure what the future holds for my DS or quading in general as far as I'm concerned. I would love to have the exact same motor, but money will soon be a factor. I hope that it's repairable at a good price, but that is impossible to determine at this point.

Last but not least, be careful and don't neglect to ask questions. That's what these guys are their for. One or two sentences or a quick phone call could have prevented a catastrophy.

BigDaddy Out.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Man that truely bits. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

That sucks BIG TIME[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Upon inspection, the intake valves were the only problem. We now know that it was exactly the problem. You see, the big CNC Race head is something very special and it does not require the bottom spring cups to be put in during assembly. This was the first full race head that had NOT been installed by anyone but Mr. HP. Because of a this small oversite, just about 8K down the drain and I have to start over.
sorry man, that sucks.

so are you saying that you installed the bottom spring cups when they were not supposed to be installed and that is what caused the failure? coil bind?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

I hate to see this happen. I think anyone who tears into there motor fears this exact scenario. Sucks that it happened to you.

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331<
...Upon inspection, the intake valves were the only problem. We now know that it was exactly the problem. You see, the big CNC Race head is something very special and it does not require the bottom spring cups to be put in during assembly...
So was the head send bare? You installed the valves and springs? Normally there is a spring cup on the bottom and on the top right? So with this CNC head, do you need to eliminate that bottom spring cup for proper installation?

So this minor error of the valve springs, how did it cause the complete destruction of your motor? Did the piston make contact with the valve?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Sadly, I was there to witness everything all the way through the maticulous shimming etc. First off I MUST say that Ive never seen Mike So sick, in shock and upset... I dont think ANYONE knows how hard Mike works in his garage and how serious he takes this stuff, He helps everyone he can for NOTHIN, He is always ready to help.. I was the one pushing him to make his bike go faster and faster and HE was there after alot of $$!!. Once he installed the head, we tested it, Yes the thing had the sickest power band ive felt in a while. Then the bad news came to a total loss. If anyone can help Mike with any parts please PM him... Ive already offered him my full race head and a jug (and I dont have/own an atv shop).. But the sad thing is (in my eyes) is that I dont understand why YOU MIKE werent told about a DIFFERENT way of setting up the head. The bottom spring cups are ALWAYS supposed to be put in right?? Why wouldnt you put them in? And if you were supposed to put them in you should have been told. Randall and Eric, Dont think Im pointing you guys out and trying to make you look bad in any way, But bigdaddy bolted this on and he was not guided in the needed direction its a mistake (nobody said yall were perfect),BUT NOW he does not have a motor and the guy is sicker to his stomach than he is leading on ESPECIALLY cause he JUST ordered ALL kinds of go fast stuff from ondunes for chassis set up. I am sick too because I have been through the EXACT type of stuff with these motors. But the company I delt with flaked out and went out of bussiness, they didnt put locktight on the cam chain sprocket nut OR the magneto and didnt torq anything to spec (was admitted) and the ENTIRE motor came apart.. I was at a TOTAL loss and was out for blood. I hope and would think that Eric and Randall would make this right. Mike did nothing wrong in the install, everything was done to spec. Mike was also testing this head and it was very impressive till the blow up. Lets not let this run Big Mike out of the sport. JMHO

Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

hey bro, man i HATE to hear about that....at least u know eric will help u get her back going again..... you definately have somthing good to look forward to when u get her running again....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

so sorry to hear it man, I got sick just reading what went down, we've all heard so much about that build that I really wanted to see it fly- best of luck to ya, wish I had some parts to send ya.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Man i cant fathom how you feel.I work my **** of for what i got and i know
i would be heart broken if she blew up.Good luck getting the quad running again.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mike:

Sorry man. I feel your pain, unfortunately.

Keep us posted on what parts you end up needing. Never know what we can find in our garages.

Quick Reply: HPR Race Head - Wayyy more than you'd expect