CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron hv 46 Question ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lectron hv 46 Question ??

Originally posted by: DSNUT
yjacket,

Wasen't it you that was praising the Lectron 46mm as being the only aftermarket carb on the market with a "Robust" power band. Not to start too much here but how is it that you knew enough about the carb to critically acclaim it as "The Carb to have" yet you also know so little about it that this thread alone has caused you to conclude that even when properly tuned, they don't idle well and they foul plugs like a two stroke? There is more to you than meets the eye I think........

Usually idling problems can be contributed to improper throttle cable routing and positioning. Everytime I have to reroute mine, it acts up until I play with the cable for a while and get it right. Then it stays right!

The reason the Ninja might foul a plug from time to time, is it works best for him to run his bikes richer than most of us do. His setup calls for it so a plug here and there is a small sacrifice. I don't have any trouble fouling plugs with mine and I do plenty of slow trailing which would be like riding a BMW 650 in town I would say. No problems here.

Ron

More than meets the eye.............hmmm, sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.....
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Then the Cauldron chimes in to call the Pot black...............

LMAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Ron

Old 02-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: choosetolose04
yjacket,

Wasen't it you that was praising the Lectron 46mm as being the only aftermarket carb on the market with a "Robust" power band. Not to start too much here but how is it that you knew enough about the carb to critically acclaim it as "The Carb to have" yet you also know so little about it that this thread alone has caused you to conclude that even when properly tuned, they don't idle well and they foul plugs like a two stroke? There is more to you than meets the eye I think........

Usually idling problems can be contributed to improper throttle cable routing and positioning. Everytime I have to reroute mine, it acts up until I play with the cable for a while and get it right. Then it stays right!

The reason the Ninja might foul a plug from time to time, is it works best for him to run his bikes richer than most of us do. His setup calls for it so a plug here and there is a small sacrifice. I don't have any trouble fouling plugs with mine and I do plenty of slow trailing which would be like riding a BMW 650 in town I would say. No problems here.

Ron

More than meets the eye.............hmmm, sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.....

lol....beat me too it...lol..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

blue, hey bro i used to have the same problem. when i got mine back from dyno tuning it idled ruff and foulded plugs, on the dyno it showed to be a tad rich at idle, but when i dropped the hammer everything lined out. i just raised the rpms while idleing to 1700 to 1800 rpms and that fixed the stumleing idle and i havent fouled a plug since...might be worth a try...

Old 02-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

big daddy
you are probably right on the money, Like i said it has never caused me a problem , it was just a curiosity when i noticed it clear.

i think i will just leave it alone it seems happy as it is.

And just for the record to those whom it may concern, my ds idles fine doesnt stalll unless i make it. And has never fouled a plug, and the throttle doesn't stick EVER.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

they always seem to be a hot topic these carbs,

And is it just me or is this site really slow today

Old 02-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

big show , thanks for the reply you must have posted while i was typing

Old 02-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

To clarify, My plugs werent completely fouled. My set up and myself like it the way I have it. Its pig rich on the bottom. I get the best throttle response. And in the real world the A/F might vary under different loads and with different amounts of rotating mass. This is why I run my bike richer, Even richer than I would tune it on a small drum dyno. The slower rolling dynos that put the bike under a massive load increasing engine temps even HIGHER than it would in a real run at the hill. So all this can throw you off a little bit when it comes to the carb..IMO.. Leaning out the a/f screw might change the color of your plug at idle and help if you think it is too rich. Take your plug out after idleing for a minute and check it. Then adjust accordingly. Also, When im just testing things in the garage I let it warm up and I rev it to about 6-7k a few times then I shut the motor off after I clean the plugs up. Or if the bike sits for a while it will fire right up because all the gas evaportated off the plugs.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thebigshow
Originally posted by: choosetolose04
yjacket,

Ron

lol....beat me too it...lol..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

blue, hey bro i used to have the same problem. when i got mine back from dyno tuning it idled ruff and foulded plugs, on the dyno it showed to be a tad rich at idle, but when i dropped the hammer everything lined out. i just raised the rpms while idleing to 1700 to 1800 rpms and that fixed the stumleing idle and i havent fouled a plug since...might be worth a try...
The Lectron is supposed to be set to idle around 1800 rpm.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blue250r
.... and i noticed the stumble cleared after a few seconds. When i checked i noticed i hadnt turned the fuel on, and the level in the bowl was low , not low as in running out just lower, when i opend the fuel back up , stumble returned .

So im thinking float hight to High causing some flooding of carb. it looks like its on the level mark , but might be worth a tweak.

be careful adjusting the float levels- it affects jetting accross the board- if it's splitting the line on the bowl, it's close enough. It's hard to make fine adjustments by bending that tab.

Lean the needle like BigD said: if it still takes a throttle snap, then you can try another 1/2 turn. Continue until it stumbles when you hit the throttle in 2nd gear at about 3500rpm - that's when you've gone too far. But for all out drag racing, heed Mario's advice- keep her as rich as you can stand it down low.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

hey blue not to hijack your thread but my new build with the 48 hv seems to have a stutter at idle and is now a little sluggish at take off. it cleans up real nice at the high rpms. the only problem im having now is the plugs seem to always be wet, and the new bike uses twice as much gas as my old one. im running a 30 pj and i have plugged up the other pj. could my needle need to be moved down one notch?

Old 02-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

30pj?? Your kidding??

I run a 130 pj and my stock bore free revs past 10k no prob. If your running a 30 pj you might want to at least dial it in on a dyno. Sounds like your lean up top and fat down low. JMO

I have my 48mm responding like efi... The only way I could get my throttle response and idle where I wanted it was to lean it out with fuel. (oxygenated) Ended up comming alive on the top end. Idles around 1500rpm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

2BIG- where is your A/F screw set?

Quick Reply: Lectron hv 46 Question ??