CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron hv 46 Question ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lectron hv 46 Question ??

Yea, I think that I'm on the high end of the PJ. But let me tell you. It was ABSOLUTELY SICK! for the 20 minutes it ran :frown:

Cams, intake, carb, head work, valves, timing etc. etc. all play a part in jetting. Obviously altitude, barometric pressures and temps also play a roll. My guess is that my final PJ setting is somewhere around 150 or so.

Don't forget that the needle itself and it's position will make a difference as well. One guy can be running a leaner needle and use more powerjet. Someone running a richer needle will generally need less PJ. Most of us like to think about carb tuning in the traditional sense. For example, the pilot circuit will controll idle to just off, and the needle will effect just off to right before WOT, and the Jet will control just before WOT and beyond. In my experience, the HV has a more symbiotic relationship within it's own parts. Needle effects idle, mid and top. PJs can effect just off idle, mid and top. I've tuned several by feel do to the fact that ther are no sniffers on dynos here in Souther Nevada. I had my carb to the point that a quarter turn here or there would affect it's performance. I like that place.... It's a warm friendly place.

I have NEVER had 222 steer me wrong on a carb adjustment. He's gotten me to a good base no matter what I was working on.

Mario and I like to tune a little differtly, and like to set up for different characteristics. He likes um' REAL rich. I like mine a little less rich. That's the beauty of this carb. You can be successful with both settings. Mario and I have and HV48 but they are different. He doesn't have an adjustable PJ and I have one additional circuit. I'd have to set them side by side to prove the latter though. I believe that my HV48 as all the latest bells and whistles where as Mario was one of the first here on the west coast to run an HPR HV carb at the dunes. With HPR's help, his results have been....... NASTY!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
Im a little late on this one but Im running 35 on the powerjets (25,10) rev limit @8900 with the vortex. On the dyno is ran right around 13 and change on the air/fuel.(cant find the sheets). Im seeing alot bigger PJ jets here, Dsnut is at 90. Im wondering what makes the difference in jetting? Porting? Ron and I are running similar setups so why would there be such a difference in jetting? It seems like the slightest change effect jetting. This might be a dumb question but by lightening the rotating mass, is that going to effect the jetting? Motor will rev faster under less load. Seems like it would effect it. Sorry a little off your topic.

Scatter
No matter what I was starving for fuel in the upper rpms or past 3/4 throttle until I got up past 110 total. Now I am at about 120 to 130. My metering rod was so rich at first that I had to close my adjustable all the way down and run a 10 in the fixed. It still was sluggish down low and it cut out up top. I leaned the metering rod 1 full turn and ran my powerjets up until I felt like top end and upper midrange were starting to get sluggish then backed off a bit.

I didn't dyno tune but that is where I ended up feeling the fastest and my plug burn seemed right on.

I think we will all get very different results based on porting. The best comparison is probably Bigdaddy331. He also has HPR porting. Scatterbrain is running a KMS race head and mine is Klug racing which the porting is influenced by a hybrid of top fuel mechanics and two-stroke porting concepts. So mine is a unique animal altogether that has yet to compare itself against anyone on this forum.

Based on Randall's assessment if you run around just putting for a while, never exceeding 1/2 throttle with new plugs installed, they should show a lean condition (white) when you check them. If you do almost all WOT, it should show a rich condition (exactly what you are describing).

I am interested to hear how this ends up because different jetting requirements on the same motors with different heads will teach us something about porting and pipes....... Or at minimum give us new questions to ask.

Ron

Old 02-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yjacket2001
2Big,

Waterpump leaks give F650 riders fits. I haven't had a bad one yet, but I was going to replace mine when I change all my fluids. Something to watch for. But a new motor?? So I don't know.
So a leaky waterpump could be the culprit for jetting issues and sparkplug residue?

Old 02-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Give Randall a call and get the right needle in.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I had the wrong PJ in when I first had the carb. The wrong NEEDLE didnt allow the fuel to be pulled through the pj quik enough. You must have the wrong needle.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You did say the motor is now smoking didnt you? I know this cant be normal now can it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

the bike is in the shop. there gonna play with the carb a bit and if it still does it the needle will need to be changed. and yes it is now smoking. they said from the look of the plugs and the inside of the exhaust pipe it is getting oil from somewhere. he said the motor sounded good and tight with no raddals but still was burning some oil. they are putting new plugs and oil and gonna make sure that everything is in running order and take notice of where the oil is on the stick. he then wants me to run it keeping track of the hours to see exactly how much oil it is actualy burning. so as of now we can only wait and see. one way or another i will get this pig fixed. as far as a leaking water pump there was nothing milky about the oil. and as far as overheating with the engine ice it runs around 150 to 160 or so and i have the fan wired direct so it is always on. who knows. they were also amazed that it still ran going down the road with both power jets plugged off.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Old 02-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

from our thorough conversation yesterday and from filtering through the posts: it is still rich.
described black smoke only when nail the throttle: rich
black plugs: rich
changed to a pipe that is known to require less fuel than the drag pipe that it was jetted perfect on: rich
Scotts HR4 cams vs BigD's HR3 cams: HR4's require less fuel.
The latest and greatest porting: requiring less and less jet all the time

with the two pj's blocked off, did it improve? My interpretation was that it did help. That was the point of trying that experiment- to make sure we are going in the right direction.

The stumble got better with the leaner power jet settings: that tells me it is so rich it's carrying into the low end response. It may not be a lean bog on bottom as I first thought.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

yes from our conversation it is a rich condition with the way that was described between the way you described them. they said even at idle it is getting way more gas than it wants. with both power jets plugged off it continued to accelerate in 4 and 5 at wide open. it stutterd a couple times but that was from bouncing off the rev limiter. they are gonna see if they can get it to quit the rich stutter at take off. but with both pj blocked off. im probaly gonna still have to swap out the needles rite? As far as a blown head gasket, i was just going threw the symptoms of the oil in the water or water in the oil, which there is none, and for the statement about ring wash or whatever i said that there would be gas in the oil, which there was not. i was just going over these conditions to make sure i was correct in my thinking. the only thing we know for sure is the bike is super rich and is getting a little oil to the plugs somehow. Its kinda like when at home your car runs like crap, but then when you take it to the dealer to have them look at it , it wont duplicate the problem. like i said i will know more about what is going on with it on friday. the only smell that i know i recognize is the smell of raw sonoko purple 110 race gas.

Quick Reply: Lectron hv 46 Question ??