CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron hv 46 Question ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lectron hv 46 Question ??

I noticed that when sitting on flat ground @ idle my motor stumbles a little, , not enough to cause a problem though.

However the other day i started already warm no choke , and i noticed the stumble cleared after a few seconds. When i checked i noticed i hadnt turned the fuel on, and the level in the bowl was low , not low as in running out just lower, when i opend the fuel back up , stumble returned .

So im thinking float hight to High causing some flooding of carb. it looks like its on the level mark , but might be worth a tweak.

Any one else any opinions / experiance of this ?

Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Could the lack of fuel in the bowl created a lean condition? Maybe you are a little rich on idle?

Old 02-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Have you had the float bowl off? When all the parts fall out, it is hard to keep track of them but the floats need to go back exactly as they came out. Each float has a pin that is offset that the thin metal switch rests on. If those get turned around so the pins are at the back closest to where the switch pivots, it won't run right.

Is your problem only at idle?

Old 02-13-2006, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider

"Could the lack of fuel in the bowl created a lean condition? Maybe you are a little rich on idle"

could be , i didnt think it was down that far, but i will try leaning out the idle a touch just to see if it makes any difference. its not actualy causing a problem , just somthing i noticed,

and yes its just at idle, no i have never had the bowl off.

thanks for the replys

Old 02-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Lectron's run a little rich at idle. Bottom line is that your lectron will run a little rich at idle, but it has to. Not having an accelorator pump means that we'll need a little extra fuel when it comes time to blip the throttle. Mine, and every Lectron that I've seen or worked on is a little think down low. When you do blip the throttle, you should have a little puff of black smoke.

Let us know if it's more than just the normal rich idle.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Before this weekend, I had to replace my plug because they were so black and bike got hard to start. I think they were near fouled. The good side to running rich down low is that when your idleing or putt-ing around it doesnt get the motor hot as quik.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

Nice Avator Ninja!!!! that's PERFECT!!!!

Old 02-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Old 02-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Nooooo, the Lectron wont foul your plugs that bad. If you were to idle for 40 minutes straight.... maybe. Then again, that might happen with any carb. Mario's carb was a tad too rich at idle, and I think that he's adjusted since then.

Try turning your air bleed screw. If that doesn't work that means that our needle is probably a scratch rich. Then....

Try turning your needle counter-clockwise a 1/4 turn to maybe a half a turn. Remember that when you do this, you will need to push the needle in after the adjustment and bring the needle back to the front position (The way it looked before). Also know that when you do this, your idle will most likely increase. Adjust the idle accordingly. The lectron likes to run at about 1800rpm. Yes, it's a little faster than stock or the TM's.

If you don't know what you are doing with the lectron, or have never adjusted it before... then we're in a different ball game. Did you buy the carb from HPR? If so, call them and ask for help. If not, you should probably call the company that you bought it from and see if they can walk you through it.

Let us know how it goes for ya.

Good Luck.

BD

Old 02-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yjacket,

Wasen't it you that was praising the Lectron 46mm as being the only aftermarket carb on the market with a "Robust" power band. Not to start too much here but how is it that you knew enough about the carb to critically acclaim it as "The Carb to have" yet you also know so little about it that this thread alone has caused you to conclude that even when properly tuned, they don't idle well and they foul plugs like a two stroke? There is more to you than meets the eye I think........

Usually idling problems can be contributed to improper throttle cable routing and positioning. Everytime I have to reroute mine, it acts up until I play with the cable for a while and get it right. Then it stays right!

The reason the Ninja might foul a plug from time to time, is it works best for him to run his bikes richer than most of us do. His setup calls for it so a plug here and there is a small sacrifice. I don't have any trouble fouling plugs with mine and I do plenty of slow trailing which would be like riding a BMW 650 in town I would say. No problems here.

Ron

Quick Reply: Lectron hv 46 Question ??