CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TOP SPEED of 650 DS!!!...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOP SPEED of 650 DS!!!...?

I have had my bone stock DS up 198 MPH... yup I was racing in the Datona 500 last week. Would have won the damn race if Tony Stewart had not put me into the wall.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My bike was clocked at 73.4 on a GPS when it was 4-days old (bone stock). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

The fastest My bike has ever gone was 90 MPH in the back of my truck going down hill with a Tail wind ! trying to get to the dunes in 1.5 hours with no speeding tickets !

Old 02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Boy, some of you guys are kinda @$$e$. The guy asked a simple question. He is looking at getting a race quad, and for a first time "sport quad" buyer Top Speed is the fist thing that comes to mind. Some of you FORGET, you didn't always know it all, you were new to the sport once also! Most of the time the BOMBARDIER forum welcomes people with open arms.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
Boy, some of you guys are kinda @$$e$. The guy asked a simple question. He is looking at getting a race quad, and for a first time "sport quad" buyer Top Speed is the fist thing that comes to mind. Some of you FORGET, you didn't always know it all, you were new to the sport once also! Most of the time the BOMBARDIER forum welcomes people with open arms.
Sorry to be an @ss but I don't think we were being no-it-alls. I think alot of peeps are just fed up with alot of mutiple name users that start threads just to see what they can stir up. He probably had a legit question it just came at a bad time. With that said the top speed of my quad was clocked @ 75.6 mph. Stock.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

OK so I will appologize as well. I just searched some of his posts and he has been asking the same questions in all the forums... I too thought someone was stirring the pot a little... but after checking his posts I do see that he is just trying to find a fast sport quad. So here is my real opinion on the deal.

Top speed should not be the first consideration when deciding which quad to buy. Other features should be considered like comfort, ergonomics, reliability, suspension, availibility of parts, power to wieght, ect. Any quad can be geared to go as fast as you want, the question is do you have the power to get through the gears. For example a 400cc engine trying to push through the DS gears would theoretically have the same top speed but would never get there due to lack of power. Similarly you could gear a Blaster to do 100mph but you would never get there (contrary to what some people on the the Yamaha forum say) also due to a lack of power. Also if you are jamming through trails and woods at top speed is that entirley safe? I have ridden trails a little and have found that I have not really gotten past third gear, maybe fourth. You need wide open space to really get to top speed. Even in the dunes I barley ever get into fifth, fourth gear is plenty fast for me.

There are plenty of fast quads out there, even in stock trim. The other aspects of the purchase should outweigh the top speed. My .02.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

SSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWW[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

you might as well commit suicide if you buy a ds.... for god sakes look at all these guys replying.. pissed at the world cuz they bought one...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Really, so you think the King of the Hill at 4 Stoke Wars was "SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWW"

Just wondering

Old 02-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

Alright I know everybody is sick of the crappy threads about VS/top speed etc etc. But thrash and holly brings up a good point...we all had to learn our info from somewhere! As holly pointed out I dont think Marlboro is looking to start trouble, just looking for some facts. Marlboro I know when I was younger top speed seemed like a huge thing and the higher the better. In reality a large majority of people dont spend much time at their peak speed. Its fun to open it up but also dangerous unless you know the terrain or know how to respond to sudden changes in scenery (trees/washouts etc etc). In reality top speed on the ds is "70 something" just as it is pretty similar for most of the other high performance quads (yfz/450r/predator and the raptors) If you are really looking into buying a new quad I would just suggest finding someone who owns (or a dealership that will let you test ride) the quads you are looking at. Each quad is so different that top speed should really have very little to do with your decision.

Just remember, its hard to enjoy a new toy if you crash and cause bodily damage or death. It is hard to do but you have to respect speed and power.

Quick Reply: TOP SPEED of 650 DS!!!...?