CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)

I too am curious about that ^^

But also what else is listed under the "ALOT" of problems category and what kind of engine damage was caused because of them?

One of the reasons I want EFI is so I am always in tune and therefore the engine is safer when im really hammering on it - less risk of detonation etc.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Redit your initial page based on your questions and group them by priority or systems (electric, mechanical, installation, bike electrics, etc...). Then we can have a reference and save double talking. This is an intricate task that will take thorough investigation. Luckily, some of the brightest people are helping you. AZSand seems like a guru that can do anything, and the others seem well above average for sure.

Then other people may have input about different areas that may help. It may take several gurus to help figure all the details out. They may be so smart that it seems second nature to them, and may not communicate the details to non-experts as well. The title page with questions could be reedited upon learning different things and then reprioritize them.

Just a suggestion.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I generally dont edit the main page because those who are reading along/posting are at the current post and generally not looking at the first part of the thread. No biggy though I will go through and edit it.

I just got off the phone with kelly - hes a great guy but definitely BUSY! Got most of my questions answered (of course cant think of all of them when you need to!) but he said the EFI has the bugs worked out of it which was good to hear.

I think I will check my charging system just to be safe though. He said the efi computer only requires 5 volts to run - the injectors take 9 to open and 10.5 to open properly. The new 730 only has the one headlight so im sure I will be ok as far as voltage sucking goes (although I may look into a pair of baja lights to add on as they dont suck a whole lot).

Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds likes budtbaar problem was not that he had too much draw on the system. It sounds as if his charging system was not working properly.

I was running 210w of lights prior to the EFI. Kelly said I had about 100w of power for lights. So how do you get the most lighting out of 100w? HID![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

My stator was just not putting out enough voltage. I just replaced it with a knowned good one.. Read the Megasquirt web site, ALOT of good info there!!!!

My other problems:
1. Low oil pressure caused the Turbo to FRY!! Check your oil pressure!! You may need to replace your oil pump/s

2. Boost ran higher than expected causing a lean condition...DETINATION... Burnt a 1/8" hole in a valve. Install and U S E!!! A BOOST GAUGE AND A A/F GAUGE. If they show a problem DO NOT RUN YOUR BIKE .

These were just my Turbo issues/precautions

For the EFI I really think you should use a A/F GAUGE to keep an eye on the EFI.,, Ask Kelly,, your system should already be wired for one.

Like doing any modification to your engine just be sure ALL!! systems are in GOOD working order!!

Old 02-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Oh!! My Turbo is up and running!! ALL systems are in great working order. Bike is not running at 100% but I'm off to Dumont this Friday and going to meet up with CRACKERJACK and MAJORECHO, Hopefully they will give me some TUNING pointers!!
STAY TUNED!! LOL!!

Old 02-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Pro Rider

I never had a real problem with my Turbo EFI system.

One time a relay went out, a common $1 part you can get at any auto part store.

OAnother time my O2 sensor failed as I use AvGas and the lead content burned the sensor. Since I only ride in the ddunes, Kelly reprogrammed the controller to a default o2 reading in case the O2 sensor fails again. With the fix, I won't even know if the O2 sensor fails.

I run 4 HID bulbs, but I had Kelly rewind my stator to 400 watts output, as the EFI uses at least 100 watts. I plan on putting a third set of HID lights on the handlebars.

Kelly is basically a "one man" shop. He must do all the R & D, hand make the pipes and systems, wire the controllers, package, answer phones, and work on ATVs, as he has to do general service to pay the bills. KMS is not a large shop and the more time Kelly spends on the phone or answering e-mails, the less work he gets done. I've spent hours in his shop and it is hard to have a conversation with him, as the phone is constantly ringing. Kelly is fantastic and has great customer service but he is really busy.

Heck, when my bike is in his shop for maintanence, I want it done fast, so I tell him not to answer the phone..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider

i have the efi on my ds with out a turbo. when i bought the system i was under the imoression that you just hooked up the system and go and it would creater your own map and keep you at what ever af you needed. but that was not the case. YOU have to create a map and the efi will keep you at your map values. so it really needs to be set up on a dyno. the other thing is when i recived my efi system the map sensor was turned off in the programing, the map sensor is what alows the efi to compensate for barometric pressure(altitude and humitity), kelly told me to leave it turned off but never really gave me an answer on how the efi can compensate with this turned off. i got my efi at the the end of last summer. i have not got it dialed in yet but will be playing with it more here over the next couple of months. i guess ill have to go to a dyno and get it tuned there. also i run 100 octane leaded gas, i was not told about the leaded fuel problem with the o2 untill after i had the system installed. i have mixed feelings about the efi at this point. kelly is a great guy, and has alot to offer, but i think is system is being advertised as somthing its not"self learning". i am very well educated in fi systems as that is what i do for a living, but i feel if someone that ordered this system does not have a good base knowladge of efi, could get fed up with this system very quick. from the post i have been reading, some people recive their efi and their map is very close and they do not do a lot of tunning, but i have read some were the maps are off and cause engine damage because the install is not famillar with efi systems and does know what to look for or what to change.i think 222 said it best with " the good news is you can controll everything, the bad news is you can controll everything." there are so many adjustments, it would be easier to mess things up than it would be to cure a problem. with the help of the megasquirt web site i was able to come up with datta logging capabilites withc will help me in my tunning efforts, but none the less it NEEDS TO BE TUNNED PROPERLLY, AND THERE IS ALOT MORE TO IT THAN WHAT ITS MADE OUT TO BE

Old 02-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Range Rover
Keeps busy in the garage building one thing or another.

Well I just got word my fins on the turbine side of my turbo are folded over. Whether its from lack of oil to the turbo or overboosting I dont know. I do know that when I diss assembled it the oil resrictor to the turbo was ALMOST plugged. I could still see light through it but....
I dont know how it could be overboosted with the wastegate supposedly set at about 5lbs. I have yet to even mess with that.
And no I didnt have my boost gage hooked up at the time.
Lets just say I got maybe an hours worth of ride time on my build. It looks like nothing but overtime this summer.
I sure wish I lived closer to Kellys shop but hey I just sent a resume to chandler arizona. Anybody know how far that is from where KMS is?

Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

I have no abilty to even begin to mess with my efi but i follow the simpilest mech. rule out there. I ask questions the efi is realy a brain twister but today's efi box is pretty simple. The only documented problem on a continuing basis is it can [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] and dose run the biggest gas motor and even can and will run the biggest alcahol motors. But so far it can't run pro alcahol fuels i have tried two of the worlds biggest injectors and still no luck.You just cannot supply enough fuel nope no no as of right this minute kelly is working on that.But as most pro fuelers know that just a daily thing try to keep them pigs a running. I will tell of problems i have the by bike charges real well all the way to 6600 rpm then she drops just enough to let me loose peak charge that has been the evil gremlin in the engine on the monorail to date. If not for that i dought she would have lost any races ever (with the exception of them nasty little hyabusa's) as soon as the volate level starts to drop she gets weaker and weaker.Thats why when you see it out its alway's pluged into my truck .But we have found the culprit.......or belive we have. the msd pulls so much on top end combined with the injection system that the charge system can't handle it at max draw. we belive with a reg swap out and some other minor elec twek's she will be fine.She is already doing 6-8 passes with no elec draw but we will get her where she can run hard allllllllllllllll dayyyyyyyyy looooooooong. OH but she is very dunable still because you run smaller voltage draws.@ fsw she could only make 2 passes and as we found out you push for that last run and she sit right on her AZZ kind of reminds me of a old jack azz.And roost i have had the system on two bikes already and have had no real field issues No burnt pistons.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] No scallded *****.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] No flat tires.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] No unpolished chorme[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] my point being a lot of times the problems we have have nothing to do with the system we speak of or that it gets blamed on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)