CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)

Depends on how fast you drive.10-30 mins.dude you ought to check with gary the oiling system he designed for the monorail is unstopable i more than likely will remove mine due to weight issues but the more i hear of you guy's oiling problem i have to tell you call gary!!!! I have thirty pounds of oil presure every time i start my bike no not when she starts when i walk up to her its setting right there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] and thats what im talking about[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

First off thanks for responding everybody. I am really torn in two directions now with the new info. After talking with kelly last night I was under the impression that all I would have to do is the quick initial setup and then wouldnt have to touch it ever again. I was actually really surprised when I popped the question of reliability/maintenance (including hooking it up to a computer) all he mentioned was cleaning out the injectors/ fuel filter annually! But the info im getting now makes it look like there is really a LOT more hands on tuning than just bolting it on and running. The main idea with getting this (in my case) is so I do NOT have to fiddle with stuff when it comes time for riding out west. We rarely get to ride out there (sadly once a year is the going rate) and I dont want anything stopping me from riding all day every day! It is starting to look like swapping jets and twisting a metering rod is actually simpler than what the EFI would be [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The biggest issue for me is the price...Sure I would be selling the carb off my bike now and that would pay for a good chunk of it but thats still about 800 out of pocket for the EFI. And if the EFI cant just be bolted on and do a quick setup then im starting to think it isnt right for me.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Saint650, What is different between my setup and yours? They sound like exact opposite! It almost sounds like you had the old programing where you had to adjust the required fuel, I had that setup a long while back and it never worked 100%.

My current setup which hasn't been updated for almost a year now has really been plug and play. I haven't made any adjustments with the computer. Heck, I don't even know how to make the adjustments on the computer! I never had it on a dyno or hooked up to a A/F gauage so I don't know its exact A/F ratio. But I do know that it never sputters, hesitates, cuts out, coughs, smokes, makes the headers glow, etc. As far as putting the ECU to the test, I have taken it from sea level to 5k feet, beach humidity to middle of the desert, spark arrestor to no spark arrestor, and it has adjust to it all.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm I wonder if saint did get the older computer... When I asked if the system was reliable and I could jump from 1k feet to 6k+ feet without having to touch the computer kelly said with the old computer definitely NOT but with todays setup it wouldnt have a problem.

As long as the setup truly is a matter of installing it and doing the initial setup (and when I say initial setup im hoping its not 30 hours of being hooked up to a computer but a short time to get everything setup). I do have a dyno within 45 miles of me (never actually been to it yet) but would prefer not having to spend a lot of time there as these days im more about riding than wrenching when it comes to our trips.

I am still confused as to why the computer needs to even be touched upon installation? From what I gathered after talking to kelly it was a matter of giving him the current hp/tq numbers so he can build a close map for initially. Once it is installed you turn the key on and let the sensors start reading before you fire it- once you do fire it it takes the new information and BURNS it from the temp memory to the permanent memory.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Range Rover
Keeps busy in the garage building one thing or another.

I think Kelly could send you map and you would be good to go. The computer is just a tool that is actually very interesting to work with. Its just a little overwhelming at first but its nice to keep a eye on a few of the parameters that are a indication of where your air/fuel is.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Range Rover
Keeps busy in the garage building one thing or another.

Roost
What was really impressive to me was all I had to do to change to methonal was drain the race gas from tank and lines, plug in the other injector and fill up with methonal. Start it and rev it up maybe one or twice and it was ready to go. I dont know excacly what parameters change but I it does seem to self learn to an extent.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

From what I gathered from kelly all I should have to do is do the install plus possibly hook it up for some minor tuning (what all would this involve? selecting what type of fuel you run or something? Or do you actually have to adjust the mixture? seems like it would change itself back to the optimum AFR if you changed the mixture?)

sandaholic seems to have the case that I would want- purchase and install and not touch it. Sure I might hook it up occasionally but dont want it to be a mandatory process just to get it to run correctly.

I dont think I would run anything but straight pump gas but it is nice to hear its easy to make the change to methanol! Basic baja do you have the turbo? (im guessing yes by the 8:1 comp piston lol) did you have to do any tuning when you installed yours, or was it by your choice that you did? (and not that it required it to run well).

As long as the general consensus remains that I can purchase this, install it- do minimal tuning ONCE to get everything setup the first day and not touch it again then I think it is right for me.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Roost,

Look at saint's re-edited digital photo's, lol.

From what I've seen on this site and and from intelligent replies from AZsands and Sandaholic:

Gut feel, and I have a big one, lol, I'd go with these 2 guys.

AND ALSO,

You have to change jets/ twist metering rods every trip anywhere for your old HV46 and new HV48????
Something don't sound right - ?

THANKS!

Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

I think the issue with saint might be that he had the older computer (requires a lot of input from what ive heard) to run properly.

And no I dont have to jet EVERYWHERE I go, just when we have drastic temp/elevation changes (IE 30+ degrees and going from 900 feet elevation to somewhere out west between 5 and 8k.

Out west is the biggest deal- any time spent tuning is time NOT riding. Since dune trips out west are so sacred to me (I know sounds goofy but until I move out there I just get a 5 day taste once a year!) I try to be as well prepared as possible so I can unload and RIDE - not have to be stuck in the trailor wrenching while everybody is out riding or waiting for me.

We have a "club" (not official just a joke type of thing) and my t-shirt has the title "breakdown" not neccessarily because I have a lot of breakages but because I used to ALWAYS be wrenching trying to get things perfect. I would like to stray away from that name as my YFZ buddies are jacking frames/sub frames and snapping pegs off left and right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yjacket2001
Roost,

Look at saint's re-edited digital photo's, lol.

From what I've seen on this site and and from intelligent replies from AZsands and Sandaholic:

Gut feel, and I have a big one, lol, I'd go with these 2 guys.

AND ALSO,

You have to change jets/ twist metering rods every trip anywhere for your old HV46 and new HV48????
Something don't sound right - ?

THANKS!
look at saint"s re-edited photo's lol

i dont know what your implying. but i work with efi systems all day long, thats how i make a living and i am sure my ongoing knowledge of efi systems is far beyond most people who would buy this system. i would not post any remarks if they were not warrented. i am not bashing kellys system. i think he needs to be rewared for the work he has put in to this. i just think its fair to warn people that this is not a bolt and go installation. if kelly gets your base map really close you may not have to touch anything after its installed. if your originall map is not close then you have some work to due withc kelly is great about helping you with. and like i said i have a very good understanding of efi systems and it is taking me alittle bit to gt it dialed in, so some who buys this kit that knows nothing of efi and has a map that is of might have a really hard time getting it stightened out. kelly is great for support over the phone, but have you ever tried to walk someone through a computer problem over the phone who knows nothiing about computers?

Quick Reply: Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)