CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)

whats that about?

all i know is i was told this system would be plug and go, self learn, never have to touch it, when i first started riding after the install i had a bad bog in the midrange, i though the system was self learn so if it was a lean bog or a rich bog the ecm would calibrate for it. so i rode for a while and it didnt. tthen keely had me change some of the settings, then the fuel mappiing. then i ran out of summer, so untill warmer weather rolls in i wont be playing with it again. maybe i should ask kelly if i got the old ecm, i guess its a possibility, but i would think if this was the case kelly would have caught it while he was tryinhg to help me out.

Old 02-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm wouldnt mind knowing myself. Seems to be two cases of bolt on and not touch and your case where you have had to spend a good amount of time with it.

One thing I dont understand (very limited knowledge of mapping/efi in general) Why does making changes to the map/fueling have an affect? I thought the deal with EFI was that it adjusts for everything automatically. So say you had optimum A/F then went into the map and made the midrange richer. Wont the EFI look at that and say hmmm its rich and lean out the midrange so its back to optimum A/F?

I guess I dont see how making changes has an affect - and why changes are even necessary. I guess I could understand if you wanted to run a bit leaner for more power (leaner than whatever the preset A/F is) than you could set the parameters of the computer so it dosnt go any richer than what your preset A/F is... Any clarification on this is much appreciated!

*EDIT* Saint just read your PM- makes more sense now. I guess I had it in my mind that the EFI creates its own map depending on what the motor is requiring as well as all the other factors. I guess this is a bit beyond the capabilities of the EFI so the initial map kelly sets is what it runs at and makes the changes to adhere to THAT map. That kind of makes the EFI seems not as perfect as I had made it up to be in my head. So basically if the EFI map is lean all over- the EFI is going to adjust for current conditions and KEEP it at its lean settings. So really you have to have a good amount of dyno time (or a laptop mount for the ds...lol) to make sure the map is setup perfectly for your bike- at that point the EFI will adjust as the pressure/humidity/temp etc etc change and adhere to the map. How far will it go to match the map? (what is it capable of?) I think that is a question for kelly- but dont know if the system has a limit or not (can it take a 90* temp change?)

Hmmm I got myself talked back into EFI but now that I realize you have to adjust the map (I wouldnt feel comfortable just slapping the map in that kelly builds) because if its off a little bit- its going to ALWAYS be off that little bit.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

fyi,

http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet_techpaper.htm

The dually option may just be the ticket for my dual Mikuni 36mm cv's too.

Smart man. Call him up.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

I believe you can even run alcohol with the dually dial-a-jet too, lol.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Ya people have talked about the dial a jets for quite some time around here. I just have never seen anyone who said they used it and had good success with it. Some put it on and didnt really notice much or really use it. I wonder if anyone has tried that on a lectron before - seems most peple were running them on stock carbs.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I think the ones who couldn't tell tuning difference did not lean mainjet up one to 4 sizes. It won't activate unless lean.

They have all kinds of add ons which many may be required and do have a fsc kit. I thought it would be excellent with Lectrons. However, it may give my dual cv's some of the difference. Reeingineering my airbox and throttle, etc.. would be a risk. DS650 has more room than F650.

Just don't drill into carb and lay in intake (another $10 option). Pricing for Lectron FSC max I came up with $302 (for dual lectrons w/duallys maybe - ?) with all options which you may not want/need. I'm going to ask expert, since real complicated on options. They will take partial refunds if installed and unsuccessful. For you its what you need. For me, its a compromise to Lectrons w/o screwing with and reengineering BMW systems at my personal cost/risk. Dual dialajets in dual carbs should do nicely with up to 30% fuel atomized like fuel injection, but starts out above idle vs above midrange.

Just another option on the table for both of us to consider adding to cv's, fsc's, or even EFI itself (but may need additional instructions for EFI).
I've always looked at it too, and never really saw bad reports except rarely people who kept same rich jetting. Figure better get it before expert dies, lol. I've just come full circle after talking with man who was very honest and open even though he knew he had no immediate sell.