CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ATV riders had some good reviews of the Outy 650 & 800

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV riders had some good reviews of the Outy 650 & 800

I have been screaming. I even have an attorney to try to get this resolved. I own 70 acres in southern Oh.

I belive in breaking an engine in easy so I didn't ride it hard. When I took it in, BRP sent new fenders and seat but the dealer and I agreed that we shouldn't install the new body until we know it won't happen again. The factry teck said that I was riding it too slow and if I am in the woods I should be in low range. I tried it and it would get hotter. How can you ride an ATV that they sell a plow blade for too slow? I ride it on trails and on dirt roads. I use ATV's alot from recreation to work. I had 2400 miles on my Prarie 650 in 2.5 years so you can see why I feel lost without a bike. The third time I took it back to the dealer it was there for 6 weeks. Thats when the dealer had me call BRP customer service. I have called them twice. It's like talking to a log. They have remapped the computer, installed a new ECM and a new exhaust. They even loaded the inside of the fenders and seat with a ton of heat reflective tape. The last time I took it in (last week) it got hot enough to melt the stickun off yhe tape. Plus the speedo still does not work properly, although it is not as erratic as it was before.

All I want is for the bike I paid 9000 for to work properly. I am to the point to whare they need to exchange the bike or give me my money back. I am hopeing that they will exchange the bike. I test rode a sportsman 800 today and I didn't care for how it felt. For the few miles I have ridden my bike the power and handling feel better than the sportsman. But it and the 5 year warrenty doesn't do me any good if I can only use it a couple of miles at a time.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is just unreal that they cannot get it to run properly but won't give you a new one in exchange. I would think they should be more than happy to exchange it very fast and run that one into the crusher and no more be said about it. One badly treated customer like you could hamper local sales drastically which is not only bad for the dealer but for Brp in future sales if it is broadcast enough. I once saw a local car professionally painted and it said, "this car is a lemon and the company does not care" it also had the dealers name painted on it. After one month the dealer themselves asked the customer to please bring the car in to have it exchanged for any vehicle on their lot of equal value. So "dissatifaction advertisement" can get results when the right person sees it. It seems your dealer is attempting to rectify the problem but is not getting the support of it supplier which is where the attention should be focused. All the best in your efforts.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

As you probably know the glowing pipes indicates a lean condition, and that is likely why they remapped the ecm , then later swapped it out. Not sure why they swapped the pipes, unlees they thought it had some kind of restriction in them. That was a real long shot IMO. If your head pipes are glowing and plastic is getting melted the engine is not cooling properly. I would start with flow testing the radiator and maybe replace the coolant lines. Now if they were using there heads they would likely have already checked that out starting with the t-stat. We fought a similar problem with my Twin peaks 800 big bore motor and the problem ended up being in the sleave on the rear cylinder. The new sleave on the rear head, had slipped after instalation. It slipped just a few 1000th but it was enough to put a very tiny gap in the head gasket that was allowing the water jacket on the rear cylinder to pressurize and thus begin to build up an extream amount of heat through out the entire system. I feel your frustration and, and can really relate. I had more in the area of 10k wrapped up in the 800 twin peaks and could not ride it more than 15 minuts with out dumping all the coolant all over the ground along with the glowing head pipes and temp lights tripping ect. ect. I am betting there is some tiny little thing causing all these problems and the mechanics working on it just had not figured it out yet do to lack of experince with these engines. Even the best mechanics can miss some tiny little thing like I just described.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

I just bought an 800 and took it out last weekend for a few hours non-stop. All the good things people say are true. I did notice that the fan came on a few times and there was some warm air hitting my legs. Next time I will look at the exhaust to see if it's glowing but I don't think I will be. There is a heat warning light and I never saw it come on. If I had the problem with excessive heat you have and the fact and dealer won't fix it, then make them tell you it ain't broke. I might document everything and talk to a lawyer then ride it till it melts to a blob. Six weeks in the shop with no progress is just plain not acceptable. If it ain't broke, pick it up on Saturday in the AM and rid it till it stops or it's dark. Good luck.